“OpenOffice.org” free Office suite for Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, OpenVMS, OS/2 or IRIX

GoodieMan

Hurrah!!! Here is an absolutely free Office Suite Program
“OpenOffice.org” which is more powerful than any expensive MS Office
Suite. The Suite is free for any environment. You can run it on any
platform i.e. Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, OpenVMS, OS/2 or
IRIX. The software needs no any licensing or having any restriction.
Download for your office or home and save a lot of money.

Download “OpenOffice.org”

http://freeware4.blogspot.com/2008/04/openofficeorg-suite-free-alternate-for..html

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

GoodieMan said:
Hurrah!!! Here is an absolutely free Office Suite Program
“OpenOffice.org†which is more powerful than any expensive MS Office
Suite

Good morning. OpenOffice.org has been around for years already.
[...]
Download “OpenOffice.orgâ€

[...]

The correct URL is http://www.openoffice.org/ of course.

This does not have anything to do with scripting; stop posting off-topic.

F'up2 poster

PointedEars

Rik Wasmus

Good morning. OpenOffice.org has been around for years already.

Indeed, and 'more powerfull' is in the eye of the beholder (however
sufficient for most peoples need).
F'up2 poster

'poster' in this case would be you in my nttp client :p

Prisoner at War

Hurrah!!! Here is an absolutely free Office Suite Program
“OpenOffice.org” which is more powerful than any expensive MS Office
Suite. The Suite is free for any environment. You can run it on any
platform i.e. Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, OpenVMS, OS/2 or
IRIX. The software needs no any licensing or having any restriction.
Download for your office or home and save a lot of money.

Download “OpenOffice.org”

http://freeware4.blogspot.com/2008/04/openofficeorg-suite-free-altern...

It's soooooooo slow booting up, each time it is first run...probably
because of running that Java thinggy first...is Java still a big deal
in web development? I think JavaScript is all over the place now --
almost everyone has "rollover" buttons, at least...but Java, I don't
like how long it takes to load the interpreter or whatever it is that
takes so long -- and within the browser, the browser freezes up so I
can't do anything for like a whole minute (I think it's better
nowadays, but I remember like two years ago I hated Java-sites,
especially those that ran it automatically "onLoad"...).

Erwin Moller

Prisoner at War schreef:
It's soooooooo slow booting up, each time it is first run...probably
because of running that Java thinggy first...is Java still a big deal
in web development?

Yes, but its real force is serverside these days.

But Java applets are also still very capable.
Try to open a socket to some place using JavaScript. ;-)

I think JavaScript is all over the place now --
almost everyone has "rollover" buttons, at least...but Java, I don't
like how long it takes to load the interpreter or whatever it is that
takes so long -- and within the browser, the browser freezes up so I
can't do anything for like a whole minute (I think it's better
nowadays, but I remember like two years ago I hated Java-sites,
especially those that ran it automatically "onLoad"...).

If you compare java to JavaScript, you just don't know what you are
talking about.
"Rollover buttons" LOL!

Erwin

CK

Words to the wise said:
It's soooooooo slow booting up, each time it is first run...probably
because of running that Java thinggy first...

Thats weird, OpenOffice is written in C++.
is Java still a big deal in web development?

No, amazon.com and ebay.com are no big deals.
I think JavaScript is all over the place now --
almost everyone has "rollover" buttons, at least...

Whatever you need Javascript for that, when simple css can do.
but Java, I don't
like how long it takes to load the interpreter or whatever it is that
takes so long -- and within the browser, the browser freezes up so I
can't do anything for like a whole minute (I think it's better
nowadays, but I remember like two years ago I hated Java-sites,
especially those that ran it automatically "onLoad"...).

If you are talking about applets, well, they have their niches,
however small.
The power that is means servlets, though.
--
Claus Dragon <[email protected]>
=(UDIC)=

- Me, lately.

The Magpie

GoodieMan said:
Hurrah!!! Here is an absolutely free Office Suite Program
“OpenOffice.org” which is more powerful than any expensive MS Office
Suite.
Welcome to the real world. Its been around - and been on all my
various PCs - for years. Its even responsive these days, thanks to the
Microsoft Office style "Quicklauncher".

Prisoner at War

Yes, but its real force is serverside these days.

Yeah, I was getting that feeling! Thanks for the confirmation. But
then again, there are so many server languages...I'm surprised Java's
held on. Why so many languages if they all do the same thing??
But Java applets are also still very capable.
Try to open a socket to some place using JavaScript. ;-)

LOL, I just got over timing image swaps!
If you compare java to JavaScript, you just don't know what you are
talking about.

I know they're different "technologies," but they're similar in this
one little respect: they're both supposed to make the web more
"interactive" but while Java's vastly more powerful I as a layman
haven't seen anything besides games and educational applets.
"Rollover buttons" LOL!

Actually, I get that same ticklish feeling whenever a JavaScript text
gushes over rollovers like it's a big deal.

Prisoner at War

Thats weird, OpenOffice is written in C++.

LOL, I guess Java really is very close to C++!! (Or C+, or C#, or C-
whatever!)
No, amazon.com and ebay.com are no big deals.

Well, that's interesting...it doesn't take forever for their sites to
load up, whereas sites like my bank used to take a whole minute to
load just 'cause it was running some Java stock ticker or other and
had to load up the Virtual Machine or something first....
Whatever you need Javascript for that, when simple css can do.

Yes, true. I was just thinking of one of the very first uses of
JavaScript...I had actually tinkered around with it back in '98, when
it was 1.1 or 1.2 -- then left the web and "computer programming lite"
for ten years...until last month!! I was never a computer programmer
to begin with -- though I did get a "B" in Turbo Pascal back in
college in '92-ish -- and a ten-year hiatus has left me very much in
the dark about these things!
If you are talking about applets, well, they have their niches,
however small.

Yes, applets, and some sites had the bad habit of running applets
onLoad...I'd enter the URL and my browser or whole computer (IIRC)
would be frozen for the next minute....
The power that is means servlets, though.

Ugh -- more stuff-I-never-heard-of!

Joost Diepenmaat

Prisoner at War said:
Yeah, I was getting that feeling! Thanks for the confirmation. But
then again, there are so many server languages...I'm surprised Java's
held on. Why so many languages if they all do the same thing??

*gross simplification*: java was explicitely designed to appeal to C++ and
C programmers (a large set of the professional application and systems
programmers at the time), and it was backed by a very large company.

Also, languages are not at all the same, and many languages don't have
the same "target". Javascript for instance was initially designed to be
an extension language for the netscape web browser, where IIRC Java was
designed to be used for embedded systems and application
programming. Java was certainly not designed from the outset to be one
of the big server-side languages of the web (the web hardly existed at
the time).
I know they're different "technologies," but they're similar in this
one little respect: they're both supposed to make the web more
"interactive" but while Java's vastly more powerful I as a layman
haven't seen anything besides games and educational applets.

Java is vastly more powerful than javascript, but javascript is much
more light-weight, easier to implement, far more widely supported and
easier to secure than java applets. And, as I implied above, Java really
wasn't designed for applets.

Joost Diepenmaat

Joost Diepenmaat said:
Java is vastly more powerful than javascript, but ...

Just to correct myself; this isn't really true if you look at the
languages by themselves. You can definitely make the case that
Javascript is more powerful than java (and I would make that case), but
as far as "client-side" programming goes, java does have an edge, just
because it has a much larger set of library routines which includes
stuff that's just not possible to do in today's browser-based javascript
(sockets, as someone mentioned here, are just one example).

Prisoner at War

*gross simplification*:

True, but I don't want to issue giant legal disclaimers every time I
post!
java was explicitely designed to appeal to C++ and
C programmers (a large set of the professional application and systems
programmers at the time), and it was backed by a very large company.

Also, languages are not at all the same, and many languages don't have
the same "target". Javascript for instance was initially designed to be
an extension language for the netscape web browser, where IIRC Java was
designed to be used for embedded systems and application
programming. Java was certainly not designed from the outset to be one
of the big server-side languages of the web (the web hardly existed at
the time).

Yes, I actually did read about the history of Java (the co-author of
one of my old ~1998 JavaSCript books was on the "Oak" team at Sun),
but what I'd meant by my question was, why so many server languages?
Like how there's "only" one "browser language," which is JavaScript
(MS' JScript and VBScript notwithstanding -- I see them as just
"business products" for MS to try to get more market share, etc.).
Java is vastly more powerful than javascript, but javascript is much
more light-weight, easier to implement, far more widely supported and
easier to secure than java applets. And, as I implied above, Java really
wasn't designed for applets.

So basically ease-of-use is why Java's "disappeared" server-side?
That makes sense to me -- but of course, I'm having difficulty with
the simplest JavaScript! So far everything's been resolved, in time,
but I wish I had a better, quicker mind for this....

Prisoner at War

Just to correct myself; this isn't really true if you look at the
languages by themselves. You can definitely make the case that
Javascript is more powerful than java (and I would make that case),

WHOA!!

Now I never heard that before!!

Not to get into a programmers' rugby scrum over favorite languages
here, but how's JavaScript "more powerful" than Java???

Just a hyperlink or something is fine, thank you....
but
as far as "client-side" programming goes, java does have an edge, just
because it has a much larger set of library routines which includes
stuff that's just not possible to do in today's browser-based javascript
(sockets, as someone mentioned here, are just one example).

Okay, I don't even know what a socket is...I'll go look that up....

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Prisoner at War said:
Not to get into a programmers' rugby scrum over favorite languages
here, but how's JavaScript "more powerful" than Java???

How do you measure "power" of a programming language at all?

There is "computational power", but both are Turing-complete, so that's
moot.

There is "expressive power": How easy do you express what you mean?
I.e., how short, but still readable, can you express the solution
to a problem.
I can't say which one wins here. Closures in Javascript and classes in
Java are both good at this. The greater standard library of Java
increases the expressive power whe dealing with non-trivial
algorithms, by introducing more "primitives", but Java is more verbose
too.

Any other powers? :)
/L

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Prisoner at War said:
but what I'd meant by my question was, why so many server languages?
Like how there's "only" one "browser language," which is JavaScript

Basically because the installed base of browsers decide which features
pages can use. Javascript does the job adequately, so there is no niche
for another page scripting language to start out in. No niche means no
reason to use any other language when Javascript is already there.

On the server, you can pick a technology per solution.

/L

RobG

On Apr 19, 12:10 am, Prisoner at War <[email protected]>
wrote:
[...]
...is Java still a big deal
in web development? I think JavaScript is all over the place now --
almost everyone has "rollover" buttons, at least...

Rollovers do not indicate the presence of javascript - CSS has been
used to implement them for years.

Erwin Moller

Prisoner at War schreef:

So basically ease-of-use is why Java's "disappeared" server-side?

You mean clientside here I think, right?
Java is still going strong on the server. :)
And yes, applets are disappearing clientside, probably partly because
JavaScript grew strong in the last years, and partly because JavaScript
is easy to learn compared to Java.
(I must add that 'mastering' JavaScript is another story, but doing
simple things like formvalidation, image manipulation, etc are easy to
learn.)

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Prisoner at War

Rollovers do not indicate the presence of javascript - CSS has been
used to implement them for years.

You're right -- and I only just found out the other day, after I'd
made my post!

Boy, I'm still catching up with, like, 2006 or something....

Prisoner at War

How do you measure "power" of a programming language at all?

I dunno -- I was asking him! My outsider's perspective would judge it
by the scope and depth of what it could do...thus, though you can use
JavaScript to even program an adventure game, it would be nothing like
the kind of game available with, it seems, Python!
There is "computational power", but both are Turing-complete, so that's
moot.

"Turing-complete"?? Wow, more stuff to learn...I am eagerly awaiting
my book "How Computer Programming Works"...I hope that it covers such
deep matters, even though the book is full of colorful pictures for a
newbie like me!
There is "expressive power": How easy do you express what you mean?

Hmmm, true...that's why in that other thread on this NG I thought that
even though document.imageID.src="file.format" is strictly correct
JavaScript, it's much more user-friendly and, now, I guess, more
"expressively powerful" than
document.getElementByID("imageID").src="file.format"....
I.e., how short, but still readable, can you express the solution
to a problem.
I can't say which one wins here. Closures in Javascript and classes in
Java are both good at this. The greater standard library of Java
increases the expressive power whe dealing with non-trivial
algorithms, by introducing more "primitives", but Java is more verbose
too.

Me, as a simple "non-technical" user, I like JavaScript 'cause it's
"invisible"...Java freezes up my browser (maybe it doesn't do this
anymore; I haven't visited any "Java-sites" that I know of lately) for
half a minute or so, and seems to run in little windows on the
page....
Any other powers? :)

Keine Ahnung -- was wondering just so myself!

Prisoner at War

Basically because the installed base of browsers decide which features
pages can use. Javascript does the job adequately, so there is no niche
for another page scripting language to start out in. No niche means no
reason to use any other language when Javascript is already there.

On the server, you can pick a technology per solution.

Hmm!!

So it's like one language per solution in the server world??

Like using French to order food, but English to program, and Chinese
to curse!! ;-)

Okay, I can kind of see using MySQL for database programming (whatever
that is), but there's PHP and Perl and Java and C++ (or C# or C-
whatever) and Python and who knows what else...not sure why a server
language can't be "versatile" and "universal" as opposed to
"specialized" and "optimized for particular problem sets"....