(0x8002802B) Element not found

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mr. Smart, Jul 23, 2008.

  1. Mr. Smart

    Mr. Smart Guest

    Error Type:
    (0x8002802B)
    Element not found.
    //global.asa, line 28

    The above is what I always get when I tried to log on to my website. I am
    still developing it using localhost. So the very first time I typed
    http://localhost, it will give me the error above.
    Here is what I i have in the file (Session_OnStart):

    StartPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    "/Default.asp"
    Session("referer") = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    currentPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")

    Even if I comment the Startpage = ..., and I re-start the app, it jumps to
    the next line.

    Here is what I am trying to do. I want to be able to monitor how many people
    logged on to my website at any momemt. Also I want to make sure users logged
    in and monitor where they are coming from. So, I have the above lines. Down
    below, I have the following lines

    if strcomp(currentPage,startPage,1) then
    Application.Lock
    Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") + 1
    Application.UnLock
    Response.Redirect(startPage)
    else
    Application.Lock
    Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") + 1
    Application.UnLock
    end if

    If they did not come in thru the start page Default.asp, it pushes the user
    to default.asp, else it increases nofusers. However, as I indicated above, it
    gives the error above. However, if I click on Refresh, it works correctly.
    Any ideas?

    Mr. Smart, Jul 23, 2008

  2. Mr. Smart wrote:
    > Error Type:
    > (0x8002802B)
    > Element not found.
    > //global.asa, line 28
    >

    > The above is what I always get when I tried to log on to my website.
    > I am still developing it using localhost. So the very first time I
    > typed http://localhost, it will give me the error above.
    > Here is what I i have in the file (Session_OnStart):

    > StartPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    > "/Default.asp"
    > Session("referer") = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    > currentPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    > Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")

    Does any of this apply?
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/why-does-global-asa-not-fire.html
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 23, 2008

  3. Mr. wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:22:04 -0700:

    > Error Type:
    > (0x8002802B)
    > Element not found.
    > //global.asa, line 28

    > The above is what I always get when I tried to log on to my website. I
    > am still developing it using localhost. So the very first time I typed
    > http://localhost, it will give me the error above.
    > Here is what I i have in the file (Session_OnStart):

    Rather than posting snippets, can you post the entire global.asa file in
    case there's something else that is causing the problem, and also point out
    which is line 28 (I'm assuming it's the "StartPage = ..." line, but you
    didn't clearly state that? According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275519
    you should only get this error if trying to use the Request object in the
    Application events, not in the Session events, which is why it's worth
    posting the complete unedited global.asa content in case there's a typo
    somewhere else.

    --
    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 23, 2008
  4. Mr. Smart

    Mr. Smart Guest

    As a poster has suggested, here is the full listing. I posted it 'as-is'.
    CONFESSION TIME: The code here is 'very ugly'. There are a lot of extranous
    code because I am testing a lot of things. Please disregard all
    FileOut.WriteLine code. It has nothing do do with the problem and in the
    production code, all those ones will be removed. The FileOut.WriteLine code
    are simply to monitor the code (debugging). Since everything is out in the
    open, I will also add some other problems that I am encountering. I just
    wanted to take them one by one, in the order of importance.

    As I indicated, I want to monitor the number of visitors at any particular
    time I logged in. So if opened many browsers to simulate many users logging
    in, it seems that Session_OnEnd runs immediately after (I did not remove the
    default of 20 mins), however that is the least of the propblem. Take a look
    at the contents of SessionStart.txt (appears at the end of the code listing

    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>

    'You can add special event handlers in this file that will get run
    automatically when
    'special Active Server Pages events occur. To create these handlers, just
    create a
    'subroutine with a name from the list below that corresponds to the event
    you want to
    'use. For example, to create an event handler for Session_OnStart, you would
    put the
    'following code into this file (without the comments):

    Sub Session_OnStart

    debugfilename = "C:\SessionStart.txt"
    set FileObject = Server.Createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set Fileout = FileObject.OpenTextFile(debugfilename,8,true)
    FileOut.WriteLine(session.SessionID)
    FileOut.WriteLine("Date: " & date())
    FileOut.WriteLine("Time: " & time())
    FileOut.WriteLine("================")
    ' FileOut.WriteLine(" Session Start Initiated")

    'Dim StartPage, currentPage
    'Session.Timeout = 60
    ' FileOut.WriteLine(" Session('referer') about to be executed")
    ' FileOut.WriteLine(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER"))
    ' Session("referer") = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    ' FileOut.WriteLine(" Session('referer') just executed")
    ' FileOut.WriteLine(" StartPage = is about to be executed")
    StartPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    "/Default.asp"
    Session("referer") = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")

    ' FileOut.WriteLine("The StartPage is " & StartPage)

    Session("website") = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME")
    currentPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")

    ' FileOut.WriteLine("The CurrentPage is " & CurrentPage)

    ' Do a case-insensitive compare, and if they
    ' don't match, send the user to the start page.
    if strcomp(currentPage,startPage,1) then
    FileOut.WriteLine(strcomp(currentPage,startPage,1))
    Application.Lock
    Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") + 1
    Application.UnLock

    FileOut.WriteLine("NofUsers:")
    FileOut.WriteLine(Application("NofUsers"))
    'FileOut.WriteLine(" Session Completed")

    ' FileOut.WriteLine(startPage)
    ' we are temporarily comment this out. This will enable us do some
    debugging.
    ' If this were there, it will always go to the main page.
    fileout.close
    Response.Redirect(startPage)

    else
    'FileOut.WriteLine(strcomp(currentPage,startPage,1))
    Application.Lock
    Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") + 1

    Application.UnLock

    FileOut.WriteLine("NofUsers: ")
    FileOut.WriteLine(Application("NofUsers"))
    ' FileOut.WriteLine(" Session Completed")
    end if
    fileout.close

    '
    End Sub

    Sub Session_OnEnd
    debugfilename = "C:\SessionEnd.txt"
    set FileObject = Server.Createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set Fileout = FileObject.OpenTextFile(debugfilename,8,true)
    FileOut.WriteLine(" Session Initiated")

    Application.Lock
    Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") - 1
    Application.UnLock

    FileOut.WriteLine(" Session Completed")

    END Sub
    Sub Application_OnStart
    debugfilename = "C:\ApplicationStart.txt"
    set FileObject = Server.Createobject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set Fileout = FileObject.OpenTextFile(debugfilename,8,true)

    FileOut.WriteLine(session.SessionID)
    FileOut.WriteLine(" Application_OnStart Entered")
    Application("ConnectionString") = "Driver={Microsoft Visual FoxPro
    Driver};SourceType=DBC;SourceDb=" & Server.MapPath("Tables") &
    "\Perfectjobs.dbc"
    Application("AppTitle") = "www.getemployedfast.net"
    Application("NofUsers") = 0

    FileOut.WriteLine(Application("ConnectionString"))
    FileOut.WriteLine(Application("NofUsers"))
    FileOut.WriteLine(" Application_OnStart Completed")
    FileOut.close
    Application("Directory") = Server.MapPath("/")
    ' stop
    ' Set Application("app") = Server.CreateObject("Sendmails.Mails")
    End Sub

    'EventName Description
    Session_OnStart 'Runs the first time a user runs any page in your
    application
    Session_OnEnd 'Runs when a user's session times out or quits your
    application
    Application_OnStart 'Runs once when the first page of your application is
    run for the first time by any user
    'Application_OnEnd 'Runs once when the web server shuts down

    </SCRIPT>

    ============ Here is the copied and pasted file. Truncated of course because
    I have been running the code for some time

    ================
    NofUsers:
    Date: 7/23/2008
    Time: 4:57:38 PM
    ================
    NofUsers:
    Date: 7/23/2008
    Time: 4:57:38 PM
    ================
    NofUsers:
    Date: 7/23/2008
    Time: 5:00:05 PM
    ================
    NofUsers:
    Date: 7/23/2008
    Time: 5:00:05 PM
    ================
    NofUsers:
    Date: 7/23/2008
    Time: 5:18:37 PM
    ================
    1043035981
    Date: 7/23/2008
    Time: 5:20:35 PM
    ================

    Mr. Smart, Jul 23, 2008
  5. Mr. Smart wrote:
    > As a poster has suggested, here is the full listing. I posted it
    > 'as-is'. CONFESSION TIME: The code here is 'very ugly'. There are a
    > lot of extranous code because I am testing a lot of things. Please
    > disregard all FileOut.WriteLine code. It has nothing do do with the
    > problem and in the production code, all those ones will be removed.
    > The FileOut.WriteLine code are simply to monitor the code
    > (debugging). Since everything is out in the open, I will also add
    > some other problems that I am encountering. I just wanted to take
    > them one by one, in the order of importance.
    >
    > As I indicated, I want to monitor the number of visitors at any
    > particular time I logged in. So if opened many browsers to simulate
    > many users logging in, it seems that Session_OnEnd runs immediately
    > after (I did not remove the default of 20 mins), however that is the
    > least of the propblem. Take a look at the contents of
    > SessionStart.txt (appears at the end of the code listing

    Here is some informative reading:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/what-is-wrong-with-session-onend.html
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491

    I'm sorry but I have no further conjectures as to what could be wrong.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 23, 2008
  6. Mr. Smart

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    "Mr. Smart" <> wrote in message
    > Error Type:
    > (0x8002802B)
    > Element not found.
    > //global.asa, line 28
    >

    > The above is what I always get when I tried to log on to my website. I am
    > still developing it using localhost. So the very first time I typed
    > http://localhost, it will give me the error above.
    > Here is what I i have in the file (Session_OnStart):

    > StartPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    > "/Default.asp"
    > Session("referer") = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")
    > currentPage = "http://" & Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME") &
    > Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
    >
    > Even if I comment the Startpage = ..., and I re-start the app, it jumps to
    > the next line.
    >
    > Here is what I am trying to do. I want to be able to monitor how many
    > people
    > logged on to my website at any momemt. Also I want to make sure users
    > logged
    > in and monitor where they are coming from. So, I have the above lines.
    > Down
    > below, I have the following lines
    >
    > if strcomp(currentPage,startPage,1) then
    > Application.Lock
    > Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") + 1
    > Application.UnLock
    > Response.Redirect(startPage)
    > else
    > Application.Lock
    > Application("NofUsers") = Application("NofUsers") + 1
    > Application.UnLock
    > end if
    >
    > If they did not come in thru the start page Default.asp, it pushes the
    > user
    > to default.asp, else it increases nofusers. However, as I indicated above,
    > it
    > gives the error above. However, if I click on Refresh, it works correctly.
    > Any ideas?

    What is on line 28? What element is not being found? Easy to test by
    commenting out appropriate lines of code.

    Jeff Dillon, Jul 23, 2008
  7. I've cut out most of the previous post to keep this short and to the point.

    > 'EventName Description
    > Session_OnStart 'Runs the first time a user runs any page in
    > your
    > application
    > Session_OnEnd 'Runs when a user's session times out or quits
    > your
    > application
    > Application_OnStart 'Runs once when the first page of your
    > application is
    > run for the first time by any user
    > 'Application_OnEnd 'Runs once when the web server shuts down

    > </SCRIPT>

    Is the above verbatim from your global.asa? Do you actually have those lines
    in it? If so, does it cure the problem if you remove them? All the lines
    that don't start with ' will be treated as code to run, and outside of the
    defined events I can only assume that what is happening is they are being
    treated as part of the application start up, in which case it's firing
    Session_OnStart outside of a session which makes the Request object invalid
    and would give you that error.

    --
    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 24, 2008
  8. Mr. Smart

    Mr. Smart Guest

    Thanks very much to all of you out there who have contributed. You are
    marvellous - Bob Barrows, Dan Critcton and Jeff Dillion. Thanks. Where I got
    it wrong was the codes outside Script /Script. I thought that to call the 4
    procedures, I would have to call them each one at a time. That was why I did
    not comment out ApplicationStart, SessionStart and SessionEnd as Mr. Daniel
    Cricton pointed out. Merely commenting those lines out solved the problem.
    Once again, thanks.

    Mr. Smart, Jul 24, 2008
  9. Glad to hear that resolved it. It did look odd that you had those in there.

    Global.asa can contain code that is run, as well as the event routines for
    the Application and Session. You do not include calls to the event
    routines - the ASP.DLL parser does this for you. Code outside of the event
    routines is normally used to set constants and variables for use elsewhere
    throughout the application which is why it is not ignored.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Jul 24, 2008