    My question is this should in theory work right? Should I expect to see any
    breakage in my .net 1.1 web apps?

    TIA!
    Guest, Nov 5, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have some .net 1.1 web applications that connect to a .net 1.1 web
    > service. I have generated the client proxy using the .net 1.1 wsdl tool
    > and put it in the GAC. I now plan to upgrade the Web Service to .net 2.0,
    > but still continue to leave the web applications in .net 1.1 for now until
    > I can slowly do them. In order to do this, I will upgrade and test the Web
    > Service in 2.0 and then continue to use the .net 1.1 WSDL tool to generate
    > the client proxy to the new service.
    >
    > My question is this should in theory work right? Should I expect to see
    > any breakage in my .net 1.1 web apps?

    If your web service is platform independant, then there should be no
    difference between 1.1 and 2.0. You should be able to rewrite your web
    service in Java or Perl and still not have your clients break.

    John
    John Saunders, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Hello Param,

    I agree with John that normally webservice's implementation is tranparent
    to webservice client, the client side just use the WSDL document to
    generate the client proxy which is used to visit the server-side service.
    No matter you're using java client or .net, you can create proxy against a
    ASPNET 1.1 or 2.0 webservice as long as it conforms to XML webservice
    standard.

    There does exists some new enhanced feature in ASP.NET 2.0 webservice which
    support some advanced interop feature like "WS-I" basic profile 1.1, if you
    do not want to use them(since you will consume it by .net 1.1 client), you
    can remove the WS-I basic profile 1.1 specific attributes. Anyway, a
    straighforward means to check the difference of webservice is compare the
    generated WSDL document before and after you upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0.

    Please feel free to post here if there is anything you wonder.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 6, 2006

    Guest Guest

    The current 1.1 Web service returns some of the following object types:-

    1. String
    2. DataSet
    3. Custom Class Objects

    I am presuming once I port it to 2.0 it will still generate the same WSDL.

    Where do I check the WS-I setting in Visual Studio 2005?

    TIA!

    Guest, Nov 6, 2006
  5. I just posted this question in another thread, not sure how I missed this one. I have done this exact thing and the clients do break, unless I delete and re-reference the webservice in the client apps projects and redistribute the app. Obviously this is not desireable. As long as the webservice has not changed, the clients should not care but they do! Help appreciated.
    Robert Lewandowski, Nov 6, 2006
  6. <> wrote in message
    > The current 1.1 Web service returns some of the following object types:-
    >
    > 1. String
    > 2. DataSet
    > 3. Custom Class Objects
    >
    > I am presuming once I port it to 2.0 it will still generate the same WSDL.

    Rather than depending on .NET to generate your WSDL, you should build it
    yourself. That way, it doesn't matter what .NET does.

    John
    John Saunders, Nov 7, 2006
  7. <Robert Lewandowski> wrote in message
    >I just posted this question in another thread, not sure how I missed this
    >one. I have done this exact thing and the clients do break, unless I
    >delete and re-reference the webservice in the client apps projects and
    >redistribute the app. Obviously this is not desireable. As long as the
    >webservice has not changed, the clients should not care but they do! Help
    >appreciated.

    I've never seen the client care. Can you give an example?

    John
    John Saunders, Nov 7, 2006
  8. Thanks for John's input.

    Hi Param,

    If the WSDL document remains the same or be consistent after upgrade to
    2.0, I think the webservices should be ok to be consumed by 1.1 client. The
    WS-Basic profile 1.1 setting is configured through the following attribute:

    ==========

    [WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
    public class WebService : System.Web.Services.WebService
    ==============

    You can remove the "ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1" if no
    necessary.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 7, 2006

    Guest Guest

    What is the benefit of that? Why re-invent the wheel?

    Guest, Nov 7, 2006
  10. <> wrote in message
    > What is the benefit of that? Why re-invent the wheel?

    You are not re-inventing the wheel.

    Understand what ASP.NET does for you. Every time someone requests the WSDL
    file with ?WSDL, ASP.NET will use Reflection to analyze your code and will
    manufacture a WSDL file for you. You will have to take care not to change
    your code in a way which will inadvertently change the manufactured WSDL.

    On the other hand, if you decide ahead of time what you want your WSDL
    should look like, you can change your code in any way you like, and the WSDL
    will not change. Since the WSDL is the contract between the client and the
    service, this is important.

    So, this isn't a question of re-inventing the wheel. Two totally different
    processes are occurring. On the one hand, ASP.NET manufactures a WSDL file,
    and you'll have to play around with attributes and such in order to make
    sure that the WSDL doesn't change when you change your code. On the other
    hand, you can decide what the WSDL should be, and keep it that way.

    John
    John Saunders, Nov 8, 2006
  11. Hi Param,

    The approach john mentioned(auhor the WSDL ourselves before creatig
    service) is somewhat like the "contract-first" service development. Under
    such development routine, you create the webservice through the following
    steps:

    * Define XML Schema for elements that will be transfered in the webservice
    SOAP request/response message
    * define the WSDL document for your webservice (with the XML schema defined
    above)
    * generate webservice code that can produce SOAP message conforms to the
    above WSDL/xml schema

    the highlight of this approach is that the producted service will conform
    to our predefined XML schema and WSDL. Thus, it provides good
    interopability for heterogenious platforms to communication through the
    webservice. Because the client and server can create service and proxy
    through the predefined XML schema/WSDL.

    Here are some articles introducing Contract-First service
    development and how it works in ASP.NET asmx webservice:

    #Contract-First Service Development
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/05/ServiceStation/default...

    #Techniques for Contract-First Development
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/06/ServiceStation/

    #Enrich Your XML Serialization With Schema Providers In The .NET Framework
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/06/ClassToContract/defaul...

    Hope this also helps some.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Nov 8, 2006