1.4.2 or 5.0

frank

trying to figure out as I've heard a couple of stories here. Is Java
1.4.2 the current version that you would term production release and 5.0
is still like a beta (of course it works etc. but recommended for
critical systems yet)? Even Sun's web site say's 1.4.2 is the current
lease and to upgrade to it.

Thanks,

Frank

?

.

trying to figure out as I've heard a couple of stories here. Is Java
1.4.2 the current version that you would term production release and 5.0
is still like a beta (of course it works etc. but recommended for
critical systems yet)? Even Sun's web site say's 1.4.2 is the current
lease and to upgrade to it.

Depends who you talk to. For example, WebLogic 8.1.4 usually ships with
1.4.2 and WebLogic 9.0 will ship with 5.0. Since 9.0 is still beta you
would want to go with WebLogic 8.1.4 and JDK 1.4.2. Additionally,
WebSphere 6.0.1 is shipping with 1.4.2 as well.

However, if you are using something that does not ship with a JDK/JRE then
you are free to use whatever you want. JBoss 4.0.1 and Tomcat 5.5.9 for
example might be used with JDK 5.0.

Generally speaking, the big boys are still using 1.4.2 but 5.0 has been
out there for a while and is definitely beyond beta. JDK 6.0 (or 1.6 or
Java SE 6) is prerelease already. That is what you want to avoid if you
want stable.

Roedy Green

trying to figure out as I've heard a couple of stories here. Is Java
1.4.2 the current version that you would term production release and 5.0
is still like a beta (of course it works etc. but recommended for
critical systems yet)? Even Sun's web site say's 1.4.2 is the current
lease and to upgrade to it.

The reason I am holding back is when you use 1.5, people without 1.5
will not run your code, and they will get some totally inscrutable
behaviour, not something simple like an error message saying, "please
upgrade java 1.5 at this URL to run this program.

Even on my own machine sometimes Mozilla likes to use 1.4 and code
stops working even when compiled with -source 1.4 and -target 1.4.

However the new language features are SO juicy. I keep wanting to
rewrite old perfectly working code just because enums would be so
slick.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

E. Ulrich Kriegel

Roedy said:
The reason I am holding back is when you use 1.5, people without 1.5
will not run your code, and they will get some totally inscrutable
behaviour, not something simple like an error message saying, "please
upgrade java 1.5 at this URL to run this program.

Even on my own machine sometimes Mozilla likes to use 1.4 and code
stops working even when compiled with -source 1.4 and -target 1.4.

However the new language features are SO juicy. I keep wanting to
rewrite old perfectly working code just because enums would be so
slick.
The J2EE standard version 1.4 relies on J2SE1.4. So if you are
interested in J2EE1.4 compatibility, use j2sdk1.4.2_08, otherwise use
jdk5.0.

--

--ukriegel
Dr. E.Ulrich Kriegel, (e-mail address removed),