    Since when does Java require IE to run?
    I didn't have this problem installing 1.4.1. Any way around this?

    Rick
    Rick DeBay, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Rick DeBay

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Rick DeBay" wrote:

    > Trying to run j2sdk-1_4_2-windows-i586-iftw.exe resulted in the
    > message "1643: Setup requires a newer version of WinInet.dll. You
    > may need to install IE 3.02 or later."

    I don't know the details behind this, but I would guess that Sun
    figured out that one of their problems with the Windows TCP/IP
    implementation goes away when using a "newer" dll. Not that a DLL from
    IE 3.02 is really new.

    Or Sun uses some installation software that for whatever reasons
    requires this dll.

    Have you checked the release notes that come with 1.4.2 or the
    BugParade? Maybe they contain an explanation.

    > Since when does Java require IE to run?

    I don't think they require IE, but ran into a typical Microsoft
    problem. Installing / updating IE is always like a full massive upgrade
    of the operating system. Many Windows libraries are changed. And
    unfortunately Microsoft doesn't release several of the updated system
    libraries seperately as independend patches.

    I would guess that Sun couldn't find any other Microsoft patch than IE
    3.02 which contains that library. And of course Sun doesn't want to get
    into problems with Microsoft by taking that library out of IE
    (breaching some Microsoft license) and silently installing it with the
    jdk.

    > I didn't have this problem installing 1.4.1. Any way around this?

    Unless it was done by mistake, I guess Sun has very good reasons to
    require this. I would not try to attempt to circumvent this.
    Harald Hein, Jul 6, 2003