1.5 code base compiled with -target jsr14

Discussion in 'Java' started by au714@osfn.org, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a JDK 1.5 code base (a few hundred files) that is auto-generated
    and uses 1.5 language features, mostly generics as far as I know. I
    want to compile this and run on a 1.4.2 JVM.

    I have done some reading here and am proceeding by

    Compiling the code with a 1.5 javac with -target jsr14

    I have run the generated class files on a 1.4.2 JVM with no initial
    problems.

    Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any hidden
    "gotchas" that might come up at runtime?

    Note that I also must ensure that there are no 1.5 specific objects or
    methods in my code base.

    FGB
    , Apr 12, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > Compiling the code with a 1.5 javac with -target jsr14

    > Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any hidden
    > "gotchas" that might come up at runtime?

    Well, it isn't supported, may be full of bugs, might not match the
    actual specs and may be removed at any time.

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/
    Thomas Hawtin, Apr 12, 2006

  3. VisionSet Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have a JDK 1.5 code base (a few hundred files) that is auto-generated
    > and uses 1.5 language features, mostly generics as far as I know. I
    > want to compile this and run on a 1.4.2 JVM.
    >
    > I have done some reading here and am proceeding by
    >
    > Compiling the code with a 1.5 javac with -target jsr14
    >
    > I have run the generated class files on a 1.4.2 JVM with no initial
    > problems.
    >

    > Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any hidden
    > "gotchas" that might come up at runtime?
    >
    > Note that I also must ensure that there are no 1.5 specific objects or
    > methods in my code base.

    You could use Retroweaver

    --
    Mike W
    VisionSet, Apr 12, 2006

    Heh, are those the only issues you can think of :)
    , Apr 12, 2006