1.5 code base compiled with -target jsr14

au714

I have a JDK 1.5 code base (a few hundred files) that is auto-generated
and uses 1.5 language features, mostly generics as far as I know. I
want to compile this and run on a 1.4.2 JVM.

I have done some reading here and am proceeding by

Compiling the code with a 1.5 javac with -target jsr14

I have run the generated class files on a 1.4.2 JVM with no initial
problems.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any hidden
"gotchas" that might come up at runtime?

Note that I also must ensure that there are no 1.5 specific objects or
methods in my code base.

FGB

Thomas Hawtin

Compiling the code with a 1.5 javac with -target jsr14
Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any hidden
"gotchas" that might come up at runtime?

Well, it isn't supported, may be full of bugs, might not match the
actual specs and may be removed at any time.

Tom Hawtin

VisionSet

I have a JDK 1.5 code base (a few hundred files) that is auto-generated
and uses 1.5 language features, mostly generics as far as I know. I
want to compile this and run on a 1.4.2 JVM.

I have done some reading here and am proceeding by

Compiling the code with a 1.5 javac with -target jsr14

I have run the generated class files on a 1.4.2 JVM with no initial
problems.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Are there any hidden
"gotchas" that might come up at runtime?

Note that I also must ensure that there are no 1.5 specific objects or
methods in my code base.

You could use Retroweaver