    to 1.9 being work in progress?

    ta
    alex

    Alex Fenton, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Alex Fenton

    Alex Young Guest

    Alex Fenton wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm wondering whether extension libraries compiled against 1.8 will work
    > with 1.9, and/or the other way around.
    >
    > I know the C API is little-changed, but will people offering add-ons
    > binaries need to offer two versions?
    >
    > Also - if it should work, should I be worried about a particular library
    > if it's not currently working - or just be patient and assume it's down
    > to 1.9 being work in progress?

    I was wondering the same thing. More specifically, I was wondering if
    Mongrel was working with YARV yet. That then got me wondering if the IO
    patterns Zed Shaw seemed to be frustrated with in MRI had been fixed in
    YARV, and whether we'd (fingers crossed) see even more of a speed bump
    to serving HTTP at some point in the future. Just call me foolishly
    optimistic if you like :)

    --
    Alex

    Alex Young, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Hi,

    At Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:35:03 +0900,
    Alex Fenton wrote in [ruby-talk:271038]:
    > I'm wondering whether extension libraries compiled against 1.8 will work
    > with 1.9, and/or the other way around.

    No, impossible in both cases. For instance, object type flags
    were added/changed in 1.9, and also structs.

    --
    Nobu Nakada

    Nobuyoshi Nakada, Sep 26, 2007