1.9.2 irb and readline problem on ubuntu

GregD

All,

Does anyone have an issue with 1.9.2 irb and readline where the arrow
buttons and tab don't work?

I have tried many things and even remove readline6 from the picture
still does not work.

I've done this during the install:

rvm package install zlib
rvm package install readline
rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr --with-
readline-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr

It looks like it is not compiling with readline. Any help, please?

Thanks,

GregD

GregD

All,

Does anyone have an issue with 1.9.2 irb and readline where the arrow
buttons and tab don't work?

I have tried many things and even remove readline6 from the picture
still does not work.

I've done this during the install:

rvm package install zlib
rvm package install readline
rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=3D/usr/local/rvm/usr --with-
readline-dir=3D/usr/local/rvm/usr

It looks like it is not compiling with readline. =A0Any help, please?

Thanks,

GregD

Well, I got it to work. But, not 100% sure what did it.

I did these:

installed ubuntu's libreadline5-dev.
ran ruby extconf.rb in the 1.9.2-src.../ext/readline dir
ran the ./confuration.sh | tee temp.log multiple times looking in
temp.log for any readline info never found it.
installed ubuntu's ncurses-dev
ran ruby extconf.rb again and it recognized the system's readline,
ncurses, etc
did a make there
did another rvm install 1.9.2

once it was installed, readline stuff worked for 1.9.2 irb.

I'm going to ping the rvm users group to see if anyone knows this and
if an issue has been submitted.

GregD

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

Well, I got it to work. =A0But, not 100% sure what did it.

I did these:

installed ubuntu's libreadline5-dev.
ran ruby extconf.rb in the 1.9.2-src.../ext/readline dir
ran the ./confuration.sh | tee temp.log multiple times looking in
temp.log for any readline info never found it.
installed ubuntu's ncurses-dev
ran ruby extconf.rb again and it recognized the system's readline,
ncurses, etc
did a make there
did another rvm install 1.9.2

once it was installed, readline stuff worked for 1.9.2 irb.

I'm going to ping the rvm users group to see if anyone knows this and
if an issue has been submitted.

Let us know how it goes, cause exactly the same thing happened to me,
but as I'm not using 1.9.2 for anything I don't want to mess too much,
and would prefer to wait for a clean solution.

Jesus.

GregD

If you didn't have the libreadline5-dev installed on your system before,
that is what your problem was.
See my blog post:http://bit.ly/9SyPuM=A0for other tips about installing
ruby from source on Ubuntu. =A0Those instructions also work for 10.10.

Yea, I figured that was it. But, is seems to me that if rvm can
install the packages libreadline and zlib, then it should reference
those when it configures and compiles ruby. I thought that is what it
would do and should do and not look for a system one.

BTW: This was a new VM and I did not have this problem on my other VMs
because they obviously had the system's libreadline5-dev package. I
tried to follow rvm instructions for readline and they did not work.
Then I remembered, I did installed dev libraries like readline's on
those VMs hence going down that path. I think RVM docs should point
this out or fix the rvm install -C to work with the rvm package
install.

Victor Stan

Had same issue,

this is what did it for me:

apt-get update
apt-get install libreadline5-dev
rvm package install readline
rvm package install zlib # probably not necessary

rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib
--with-readline-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib

Peter Zotov

Had same issue,

this is what did it for me:

apt-get update
apt-get install libreadline5-dev
rvm package install readline
rvm package install zlib # probably not necessary

rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib
--with-readline-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib

Absolutely not. You don't need to use any 'rvm package' commands on
Debian; after you've installed libreadline5-dev package everything will
work perfectly, just redo the rvm install step.