1.9.2 irb and readline problem on ubuntu

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by GregD, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. GregD

    GregD Guest

    All,

    Does anyone have an issue with 1.9.2 irb and readline where the arrow
    buttons and tab don't work?

    I have tried many things and even remove readline6 from the picture
    still does not work.

    I've done this during the install:

    rvm package install zlib
    rvm package install readline
    rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr --with-
    readline-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr

    It looks like it is not compiling with readline. Any help, please?

    Thanks,

    GregD

    GregD, Oct 14, 2010

  2. GregD

    GregD Guest

    On Oct 14, 11:36=A0am, GregD <> wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Does anyone have an issue with 1.9.2 irb and readline where the arrow
    > buttons and tab don't work?
    >
    > I have tried many things and even remove readline6 from the picture
    > still does not work.
    >
    > I've done this during the install:
    >
    > rvm package install zlib
    > rvm package install readline
    > rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=3D/usr/local/rvm/usr --with-
    > readline-dir=3D/usr/local/rvm/usr
    >
    > It looks like it is not compiling with readline. =A0Any help, please?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > GregD

    Well, I got it to work. But, not 100% sure what did it.

    I did these:

    installed ubuntu's libreadline5-dev.
    ran ruby extconf.rb in the 1.9.2-src.../ext/readline dir
    ran the ./confuration.sh | tee temp.log multiple times looking in
    temp.log for any readline info never found it.
    installed ubuntu's ncurses-dev
    ran ruby extconf.rb again and it recognized the system's readline,
    ncurses, etc
    did a make there
    did another rvm install 1.9.2

    once it was installed, readline stuff worked for 1.9.2 irb.

    I'm going to ping the rvm users group to see if anyone knows this and
    if an issue has been submitted.

    GregD

    GregD, Oct 14, 2010

  3. On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 7:16 PM, GregD <> wrote:

    > On Oct 14, 11:36=A0am, GregD <> wrote:
    >> All,
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an issue with 1.9.2 irb and readline where the arrow
    >> buttons and tab don't work?
    >>
    >> I have tried many things and even remove readline6 from the picture
    >> still does not work.
    >>
    >> I've done this during the install:
    >>
    >> rvm package install zlib
    >> rvm package install readline
    >> rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=3D/usr/local/rvm/usr --with-
    >> readline-dir=3D/usr/local/rvm/usr
    >>
    >> It looks like it is not compiling with readline. =A0Any help, please?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> GregD

    > Well, I got it to work. =A0But, not 100% sure what did it.
    >
    > I did these:
    >
    > installed ubuntu's libreadline5-dev.
    > ran ruby extconf.rb in the 1.9.2-src.../ext/readline dir
    > ran the ./confuration.sh | tee temp.log multiple times looking in
    > temp.log for any readline info never found it.
    > installed ubuntu's ncurses-dev
    > ran ruby extconf.rb again and it recognized the system's readline,
    > ncurses, etc
    > did a make there
    > did another rvm install 1.9.2
    >
    > once it was installed, readline stuff worked for 1.9.2 irb.
    >
    > I'm going to ping the rvm users group to see if anyone knows this and
    > if an issue has been submitted.

    Let us know how it goes, cause exactly the same thing happened to me,
    but as I'm not using 1.9.2 for anything I don't want to mess too much,
    and would prefer to wait for a clean solution.

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Oct 14, 2010
  4. GregD

    GregD Guest

    On Oct 14, 6:35=A0pm, G Brandon Hoyt <> wrote:
    > > installed ubuntu's libreadline5-dev.

    > If you didn't have the libreadline5-dev installed on your system before,
    > that is what your problem was.
    > See my blog post:http://bit.ly/9SyPuM=A0for other tips about installing
    > ruby from source on Ubuntu. =A0Those instructions also work for 10.10.

    Yea, I figured that was it. But, is seems to me that if rvm can
    install the packages libreadline and zlib, then it should reference
    those when it configures and compiles ruby. I thought that is what it
    would do and should do and not look for a system one.

    BTW: This was a new VM and I did not have this problem on my other VMs
    because they obviously had the system's libreadline5-dev package. I
    tried to follow rvm instructions for readline and they did not work.
    Then I remembered, I did installed dev libraries like readline's on
    those VMs hence going down that path. I think RVM docs should point
    this out or fix the rvm install -C to work with the rvm package
    install.

    GregD, Oct 15, 2010
  5. GregD

    Victor Stan Guest

    Had same issue,

    this is what did it for me:

    apt-get update
    apt-get install libreadline5-dev
    rvm package install readline
    rvm package install zlib # probably not necessary

    rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib
    --with-readline-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib

    Victor Stan, Feb 8, 2011
  6. GregD

    Peter Zotov Guest

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 05:13:51 +0900
    Victor Stan <> wrote:

    > Had same issue,
    >
    > this is what did it for me:
    >
    > apt-get update
    > apt-get install libreadline5-dev
    > rvm package install readline
    > rvm package install zlib # probably not necessary
    >
    > rvm install 1.9.2 -C --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib
    > --with-readline-dir=/usr/local/rvm/usr/lib

    Absolutely not. You don't need to use any 'rvm package' commands on
    Debian; after you've installed libreadline5-dev package everything will
    work perfectly, just redo the rvm install step.

    --
    WBR, Peter Zotov

    Peter Zotov, Feb 9, 2011