1 large application versus many smaller pieces

Guest

I am working on porting our existing intranet from classic ASP to ASP.NET.
Currently the code is in a single application. After I complete the
conversion there could be up to 6 developers maintaining the application. I
feel that for scalability purposes it would be better to break it up into 5
or 6 functional areas. However my manager feels that we will gain nothing by
doing this and that it will actually be more of a hassle. I cannot come up
with a solid argument for my side.

Am I correct to think that we should break everything up? I would
appreciate some advice from either side of the discussion.

Thanks.

Kevin Spencer

You definitely should break it up. ASP.Net is object-oriented, lending
itself well to separation of presentation, business, and data layers, and
possibly other divisions within the business tier. Whether you can convince
your manager of this or not, well... that depends on the Dilbert factor.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Sometimes you eat the elephant.
Sometimes the elephant eats you.

Guest

Well I would need to know more about the application, but one of the core
philosphies of computer science and application development is modularity and
reusability. Always break your code into smaller reusable chunks and call
those from main applications. Building a large monolithic app will lead to
headaches during design, scalabilty issues later, and will cause more support
issues and lost production time. Convincing your manage, of course, is a
matter for the Gods.