1 or many ASP files??

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Laphan, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi All

    Just trying to clear my cluttered mind and wondering if you can help.

    IYHO, if I have say 10 different product categories that extract their data
    from say 10 text files or an Access DB, is it more efficient to have an ASP
    for each product category to query each section or 1 which parses the lot??

    The only reason I am asking is for multiple user access I have this strange
    belief that if 1 page is getting requested and queried by 10 simultaneous
    visitors then 'spreading the load' on different pages would help.

    Is my logic correct or do the ISP fairies have this in hand??

    Many thanks.

    Rgds

    Laphan

    Laphan, Aug 30, 2003

  2. No, don't think of the page as a "person" doing the work. Regardless of how
    many pages you have, the load is always proportional to the number of
    requests. I would code it as one page because it is easier to develop, and
    in case any changes -- track and maintain. If you spread it across ten
    pages, you are just increasing the redundancy.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netBooks

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Aug 30, 2003

  3. Laphan

    Laphan Guest

    Hi Manohar

    Is this a definite?

    I need to know because I spent 7 hours making about 100 product pages
    originally, then 3 hours making it a single product page site, then 5 hours
    updating another set of 100 pages thinking it was this.

    I need to make sure so that I can work from this.

    Thanks

    Laphan

    Laphan, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Yes, most definitely.