    sharepoint environment. Is it handier to make 1 large webservice or a few
    smaller ones?

    ch Jim

    Jim, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Jim

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Jim,

    The answer of course is "it depends". It depends on factors such as will
    you have control over each of the implemenations (assuming here that you
    choose to implement more than one "service". In this regard, the term "web
    service" can be a bit misleading. A service implementation (a la Visual
    Studio .NET) project can contain more than one method. Some people call
    each method "a service". Others call the project file "the service".
    Others are equating a single URL and set of SoapAction values as the
    service boundary.

    The clearest, at least to me, definition of a service is defined by
    governance rather than implementation specifics. If you will be in control
    of every piece of the implementation, and all of the parts you are
    considering are directly related, then from a governance perspective you
    could argue that this is one service. The current advice re: Service
    Orientation is that "services are autonomous" - and I've used a governance
    viewpoint here to define what I mean by autonomous. If you could choose to
    change the version of all of the parts, for instance, then you have
    governance over the entire service. Since you are stating that these parts
    would all be coordinated from a web part - then I'm assuming they are
    related - so now you have governance over a set of related
    methods/implementations.

    Of course, as I stated at the start, "it depends".

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    >From: "Jim" <>