+1 QOTW

Discussion in 'Python' started by olsongt@verizon.net, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Sep 22, 2006

  2. Terry Reedy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    > statement:
    >
    > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    >
    > In the state of the onion address?
    >
    > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    There is also this:
    'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'
    Terry Reedy, Sep 22, 2006

  3. James Stroud Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    >>statement:
    >>
    >>Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    >>
    >>In the state of the onion address?
    >>
    >>http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    > There is also this:
    > 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

    This reminds me of when I realized I could become more efficeint as
    stocker in a warehouse by implementing a "wherever inventory system".

    James

    --
    James Stroud
    Box 951570

    http://www.jamesstroud.com/
    James Stroud, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Paddy Guest

    wrote:
    > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    > statement:
    >
    > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    >
    > In the state of the onion address?
    >
    > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    -3 on QOTW !
    The whole article is as he describes it in the opening paragraph, a
    rambling strole through whatever took his fancy . Of no great weight
    and so the -3.
    Good luck to Larry on Perl 6 though.
    Paddy, Sep 22, 2006

    James Stroud wrote:
    > Terry Reedy wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    > >>statement:
    > >>
    > >>Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    > >>
    > >>In the state of the onion address?
    > >>
    > >>http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    > > There is also this:
    > > 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

    > This reminds me of when I realized I could become more efficeint as
    > stocker in a warehouse by implementing a "wherever inventory system".

    Was fetching the items stocked someone else's job?

    > James
    >
    > --
    > James Stroud
    > UCLA-DOE Institute for Genomics and Proteomics
    > Box 951570
    > Los Angeles, CA 90095
    >
    > http://www.jamesstroud.com/
    , Sep 22, 2006
  6. Ray Guest

    wrote:
    > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    > statement:
    >
    > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.

    Perl? Larry who?

    (I've been going to a hypnotherapist who specializes in erasing bad
    memories of the past, sorry.)

    Ray, Sep 23, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    "Terry Reedy" <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    > > statement:
    > >
    > > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    > >
    > > In the state of the onion address?
    > >
    > > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    > There is also this:
    > 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

    But what this really means, in practise, is "dis-oriented programming."

    -M

    --
    Michael J. Fromberger | Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sting/ | Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA
    Michael J. Fromberger, Sep 23, 2006
  8. Georg Brandl Guest

    Michael J. Fromberger wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Terry Reedy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    >> > statement:
    >> >
    >> > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    >> >
    >> > In the state of the onion address?
    >> >
    >> > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    >> There is also this:
    >> 'But I think the basic Perl paradigm is "Whatever-oriented programming."'

    > But what this really means, in practise, is "dis-oriented programming."

    I think now we got our QOTW.

    Georg
    Georg Brandl, Sep 24, 2006
  9. Kay Schluehr Guest

    wrote:
    > Did anyone else crack up when Larry Wall described python with the
    > statement:
    >
    > Python, as the "anti-Perl," is heavily invested in maintaining Order.
    >
    > In the state of the onion address?
    >
    > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2006/09/21/onion.html

    Think he's just too charming. I never got through Larrys whole
    apocalypse. A little weirdness like this one is a great piece but too
    much of it is insane.
    Kay Schluehr, Sep 24, 2006