10 Reasons Why PHP is Better than ASP

Anthony Jones

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> Its not the size that is really important, its the concurrent connection limit.

There are *no* connection limitations with SQL Express.

MSDE had a governor which limited concurrent connections to 10
(it placed concurrent connections above 10 in a queue), but SQL Express
doesn't have a governor.

SQL Express will process as many concurrent
connections as the server's cpu/ram/bandwidth allow it to.

I stand corrected. I had assumed that it carried the similar limitations.

Anthony Jones

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
!> SQL Express isn't very scalable though so it wouldn't be useful on a busy site.

I don't know what you call "scalable", but I can tell you that I was boxed on
the ears by the SQL Server 2005 program manager for saying precisely that.

The PM said that SQL Express could take a large number of concurrent hits and not choke.

See Joel on Software's take on this :

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.481914.11

<quote>
SQL Server Express 2005 _is_ the real SQL server. Unlike MSDE, its
throughput is not crippled by a "governor"
(see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165672.aspx and
http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/archive/2006/03/09/545576.aspx ).

The Express edition has limits on database size, ram usage (affects caching etc) and
number of CPUs (it cannot take advantage of multiple CPUs). If you can live within
those limits (and many systems probably can) then it will meet your needs just fine.

P.S. It also lacks some advanced features (e.g. full text search)
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsse/html/sseoverview.asp
</quote>

I.O.W., a site would have to be a *really* busy site for it to outgrow SQL Express.

Agreed the 'governor' was the main reason to stay away from MSDE. The 4GB
per DB would be the next limit that would worry me but thats not too
limiting for many sites.

Betikci Boris

1. PHP.NET the greatest API resource known to MAN
2. If you have a problem, someone will have already implemented a
solution in PHP for you
3. Syntax is better, closer to C, C++, and Java. Unlike VB where
anything goes.
4. To run ASP you need IIS on windows, which is not free, for PHP
however you need Linux and Apache which are FREE!!
5. Great built in support for ftp, email, graphics package GD2 and
also MySQL (also FREE).
6. PHP will run on Unix, Linux, Solaris and Windows. ASP is mainly
only Windows associated but you can use it on linux with additional
modules installed.
7. PHP code is much faster, ASP is developed on the COM based
architecture, this is an overhead for the server.
8. mod_rewrite, need I say more.
9. Advanced Perl-compatible regular expression functions and loads
of built in support for regular expressions on the whole.
10. Greater control over error handling, and more detailed error
messages.

http://www.hwhappy.co.uk/2006/11/30/why-php-is-better-than-asp/

<?php

echo ("I LOVE PHP!");

echo ("Asp is not a programming language but an appreciable technology
which brings developer an ultimate agility and control over code.";)

print ("I LOVE PHP!");

Steve

Betikci Boris said:
<?php

echo ("I LOVE PHP!");

echo ("Asp is not a programming language but an appreciable technology
which brings developer an ultimate agility and control over code.";)

print ("I LOVE PHP!");

that code won't work...you didn't close off the php tag. and your second
echo statement has a semi-colon inside the parenthesis instead of on the
outside - denoting the end of the statement. finally, neither 'echo' nor
'print' require parenthesis. finally, asp IS a programming language AND it
gives no more agility or code control than any other language...much less
php. :)

Toby A Inkster

Steve said:
asp IS a programming language

It is not. ASP is an object-oriented framework within which theoretically
any object-oriented programming language can run, though in practise
VBScript and JScript are normally used.

Similarly the HTML DOM is an object-oriented framework within which any
object-oriented programming language can run. Usually Javascript is used,
but depending on your environment, other languages can be used too.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 12 days, 21:37.]

Mince & Dumplings
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/02/10/mince-dumplings/

Betikci Boris

that code won't work...you didn't close off the php tag. and your second
echo statement has a semi-colon inside the parenthesis instead of on the
outside - denoting the end of the statement. finally, neither 'echo' nor
'print' require parenthesis. finally, asp IS a programming language AND it
gives no more agility or code control than any other language...much less
php. :)

php code needs debugging huh! ;)

i ve just started learning C# acually really loved it too... When i
said "an ultimate agility and control over code" i consider C# but
forgot to write :D

Steve

Toby A Inkster said:
It is not. ASP is an object-oriented framework within which theoretically
any object-oriented programming language can run, though in practise
VBScript and JScript are normally used.

well, no, actually asp's framework is dot net - given your definition. as
for what's the most commonly used language there-in, that would
overwhelmingly be c#. as it is, you've confused asp versions among the two
you offer. vbscript was the most commonly used language in asp < .net.
however, asp >= .net, people will use vb before they'd ever consider using
vbscript...ever again. i made the same oversight as well though. i haven't
used asp.net other than cursory exploration...so, asp to me is still so tied
to vbscript that i overlooked the truth (or lack thereof) in 'asp IS a
programming language'. oh well. :7)

my preference is php. however, look at this thread. i try to thump the
nogg'n of any dope that decries one for the other...unless they have a
specific circumstance where one *tool* will naturally outperform the other.
it's just stupidity to make blanket statements like that.

Steve

Betikci Boris said:
php code needs debugging huh! ;)

as would your asp code if you program it as haphazardly. :)
i ve just started learning C# acually really loved it too... When i
said "an ultimate agility and control over code" i consider C# but
forgot to write :D

that's all well and good, however you're still not supporting your claim by
defining wtf 'ultimate agility' or 'control over code' mean...specifically.
seems to me, they're both capable of acheiving that (whatever it is you're
trying to generically claim).