    Thanks a lot.

    --
    Charles.

    Charles, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Charles wrote:

    > I create web sites with XHTML 1.0 Transitional, wich is compatible with
    > the XML specification on the W3C web site. I was wondering if it's
    > possible to create real-world web sites with only XML files (not using
    > any HTML markups) and external style sheets.

    There are people building web sites with SVG only, but of course SVG is
    like XHTML a well defined XML application. And to use SVG sites you
    usually need a plugin like the Adobe SVG viewer.
    As for creating and styling your own markup language, with browsers like
    Mozilla and Opera that have strong CSS 2 support that is possible. But
    then what do you intend to do to have a link for instance? You would
    then need to turn back to XHTML and include an
    <a xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" href="whatever.xml">link</a>
    element or you would need to use XLink (which only Mozilla supports but
    not Opera). I think Opera also has some CSS extension to turn an XML
    element into a hyperlink but I have never used that.
    So in my view it is not of much use, if you want to build a web site use
    an established and well supported document type like text/html.
    You can of course use XML to markup your data but if you want to have
    people view that data with a browser then transform it to HTML for them.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Dec 26, 2004

  3. Charles wrote:

    > If so, do you have useful links, and examples?

    I said that people build web sites with SVG, the following book description
    <http://www.pearson.ch/pageid/34/artikel/71166NR/NewRiders/0735711666/DesigningSVGWebGraphics.aspx>
    mentions one but it seems to be gone.
    You might want to ask on the SVG groups on groups.yahoo.com for existing
    examples.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Charles

    Charles Guest

    > So in my view it is not of much use, if you want to build a web site use
    > an established and well supported document type like text/html.
    > You can of course use XML to markup your data but if you want to have
    > people view that data with a browser then transform it to HTML for them.

    Yes, thanks, I agree with you, I was just curious, and who knows, I might
    try it just for fun ;)

    --
    Charles.

    Charles, Dec 26, 2004
  5. Charles

    Lakeuk Guest

    "Charles" <> wrote in message
    > I create web sites with XHTML 1.0 Transitional, wich is compatible with
    > the XML specification on the W3C web site. I was wondering if it's
    > possible to create real-world web sites with only XML files (not using any
    > HTML markups) and external style sheets.
    > If so, do you have useful links, and examples? I'm just curious. I didn't
    > find relevant material on XML.com
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > --
    > Charles.

    Not sure exactly what you mean, (a website from just a xml file?), but I've
    created a TV Guide website for use offline that currently contains around 10
    pages and uses one xml file and one xsl file.

    Site contains Now/Next, Favourites checking, search programmes, grid/listing
    pages

    You can download it at http://www25.brinkster.com/lakeuk/xmltv/xmltv.htm

    The xsl can easily be used to produce other websites.

    Dave

    Lakeuk, Dec 27, 2004
  6. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Em Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:42 -0000, Lakeuk <> escreveu:

    > Not sure exactly what you mean, (a website from just a xml file?)

    Yes, I mean a xml file with a style sheet (not an XHTML or HTML file).
    I guess it's not possible.

    --
    Charles.

    Charles, Dec 27, 2004
  7. Charles

    Arjun Ray Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:21:45 -0200, Charles wrote:

    > I was wondering if it's possible to create real-world web sites with
    > only XML files (not using any HTML markups) and external style sheets.

    We're a long way from that yet, and, in my more pessimistic moments, I
    think we may never get there.

    A stylesheet technology is already in place, but while that's a very
    important piece, it isn't the whole story. There are other packages of
    semantic functionality which also need proper implementation. Links and
    forms are two obvious examples. (XLink was a step in the right direction
    at first. but then the XML Namespaces bogosity made a travesty of it.)

    > If so, do you have useful links, and examples?

    This is not an answer to your request, but if you can find a copy of "SGML
    on the Web" by Yuri Rubinsky and Murray Maloney, the CD with that book has
    Softquad's Panorama browser, which used the same essential idea behind
    XLink to recognize various generic categories in arbitrary SGML markup.
    (And that was nearly a decade ago.)

    Right now, all you can hope for is that a Big Company[TM] or three might
    expend the resources to implement some useful fractions of the bloated
    specs emerging from the W3C.

    Arjun Ray, Dec 28, 2004
  8. Charles

    Lakeuk Guest

    > Yes, I mean a xml file with a style sheet (not an XHTML or HTML file).
    > I guess it's not possible.
    >
    > --
    > Charles.

    That being the case then take a look at my TV guide that uses a xml with a
    style sheet

    Lakeuk, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Charles

    Guest

    , Dec 30, 2004
  10. Charles

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Charles wrote:

    > I create web sites with XHTML 1.0 Transitional, wich is compatible with
    > the XML specification on the W3C web site. I was wondering if it's
    > possible to create real-world web sites with only XML files (not using any
    > HTML markups) and external style sheets.
    > If so, do you have useful links, and examples? I'm just curious. I didn't
    > find relevant material on XML.com

    Nor will you. There are thousands of these, but they all work by using an
    XML-to-HTML converter like Cocoon, Axkit, or PropelX at the server end,
    so the user doesn't need an XML-compatible browser.

    If you mean XML-only sites, serving raw XML with CSS or XSLT for the browser
    to interpret, they're fairly rare, because they would exclude users who are
    still running older browsers (millions of them).

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Dec 31, 2004
  11. Charles

    Guest

    , Dec 31, 2004
  12. Charles

    John Fereira Guest

    Peter Flynn <> wrote in

    > Charles wrote:
    >
    >> I create web sites with XHTML 1.0 Transitional, wich is compatible
    >> with the XML specification on the W3C web site. I was wondering if
    >> it's possible to create real-world web sites with only XML files (not
    >> using any HTML markups) and external style sheets.
    >> If so, do you have useful links, and examples? I'm just curious. I
    >> didn't find relevant material on XML.com

    > Nor will you. There are thousands of these, but they all work by using
    > an XML-to-HTML converter like Cocoon, Axkit, or PropelX at the server
    > end, so the user doesn't need an XML-compatible browser.

    I've looked for a couple of times since this thread was posted (both times)
    but haven't been able to find a site I saw a demo on about a year ago. It
    consisted of a single xml document using the Mets dtd
    (www.loc.gov/standards/mets/) a handful of stylesheets and a single servlet
    that performed an xml/xsl transformation. The site was a small digital
    library with a simple page turner for digital images. The design was pretty
    simple but maintaining the large xml file wouldn't scale very well.

    John Fereira, Dec 31, 2004