100% wide links

Jeff

I'd like to specify the width of a link. (This would be for a menu).

You can do this easily in quirks mode but I'm having trouble in
standards mode.

What's the trick? The end desired result is to do this using lists,
I've shown the div as it simplifies the example.

I think this wraps up my days worth of questions!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jonathan N. Little

Jeff said:
I'd like to specify the width of a link. (This would be for a menu).

You can do this easily in quirks mode but I'm having trouble in
standards mode.

What's the trick? The end desired result is to do this using lists,
I've shown the div as it simplifies the example.

What you have won't work because A elements are inline elements and do
not have a width property. What you can do is make it display as block
then it would have a width.

<a style="display: block; ...

dorayme

Jeff said:
I'd like to specify the width of a link. (This would be for a menu).

You can do this easily in quirks mode but I'm having trouble in
standards mode.

What's the trick? The end desired result is to do this using lists,
I've shown the div as it simplifies the example.

Add display: block; to the style for the anchor.

Jeff

Jonathan said:
What you have won't work because A elements are inline elements and do
not have a width property. What you can do is make it display as block
then it would have a width.

<a style="display: block; ...

Thanks to you and dorayme. About an hour after I wrote this, as I was
driving down the road, that ocured to me.

Jeff