101VB Samples

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jerome, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Jerome

    Jerome Guest

    Hi,
    Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB samples)
    to work?
    I wanted to try the "CreatingMasterDetails" and this is what i get from the
    start:

    Invalid column name 'DepartmentID'.
    Invalid column name 'BaseRate'.

    PLUS....
    My AdventureWorks database is corrupt!! No way to open it anymore;
    it has blown up to about twice the original size;
    sqlserver (sqlserverExpress2005) refuse to detach with the comment "Cannot
    find adventureworks.mdf";
    there are now 3 log files;
    no more tables in the database are accessible;

    Deinstalling the adventureworks database from within add/remove programs is
    impossible: "File not found" !!??

    The original conn.string from MS:
    Data
    Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf;Integrated
    Security=True;User Instance=True

    After brute force in removing and reinstalling the dB i changed the
    conn.string to:
    Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
    Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks;Integrated Security=True

    and this time the database remains intact but the runtime error about the
    coluimns remain

    I tried with some other (disposable :)) mdf files and it seems that when
    selecting "Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)" as source this
    corruption ALWAYS happens
    When selecting "Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)" everything seems to work
    ok

    Any ideas somebody?

    Config :
    VS 2005 Pro
    Sqlserver Express 2005
    Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0

    Thanks in advance for suggestions

    Jerome
    Jerome, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Jerome,

    From the database samples in VB 101 samples for 2005 is I gues about 70% not
    working.

    It wants the SQLExpress Beta database. You should be a fool to install that.

    I have reported that.

    The rest from the samples are mostly nice and some Data Samples as well.

    I hope this gives an idea.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], Feb 26, 2006

  3. Jerome

    Jerome Guest

    Thanks Cor, that explains a lot.

    Just still one thing that bothers me is the corruption of the db when using
    "Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\.......User Instance=True"
    This does not happen with "Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=....."
    Is this also a remaining of the 'Beta' version?

    Regards
    Jerome

    Jerome, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Jerome,

    The part is the AttachDBFile name, you can use SQLExpress as let say Jet.
    Those files are in the samples, however Beta versions.

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert [MVP], Feb 26, 2006
  5. Jerome

    Jerome Guest

    Aha!
    Good to know.
    At least i will check the connection string the next time i see a sample
    from MS

    Thanks for the clarrification

    Jerome, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Jerome

    Ken Halter Guest

    "Jerome" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB
    > samples) to work?

    AH HA! So.... it's NOT just me! Thanks for sharing your pain Jerome! I was
    starting to think I was going nuts. :)

    --
    Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB (visiting from VB6 world) - http://www.vbsight.com
    Please keep all discussions in the groups..
    Ken Halter, Feb 27, 2006
  7. Jerome

    Jerome Guest

    Join the club Ken :)
    I wonder if they ever tested it at MS. If some providers don't work, why not
    leaving them out. One Sqlconnection is suffiecient, or not?
    Long live VB6 !
    I needed 3 days to find out that that stupid conn string ruined every time
    my database.
    Anyway, i'll be cautious when openening a sample from MS

    Jerome

    Jerome, Feb 27, 2006