    in development and business for the company itself, besides being a
    service to the general public.

    Danilo J Bonsignore
    Fabrizio J Bonsignore, Jul 26, 2012

  2. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    aftnix Guest

    On Friday, July 27, 2012 1:46:52 AM UTC+6, Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:
    > Windows 3.1 was **officially** superseded by Windows 95 in 1995. Now
    > it is 17 years. Seventeen years is a typical period of protection for
    > products which may extended some ways, but now that Win 3.1 turned
    > into a plethora of more superadvanced OSs, for historical, cultural,
    > technical reasons Microsoft ought to follow the popular open source
    > model and publish full, complete, compilable source, data files,
    > driver files, etc for the popular old OS and its utilities, along with
    > the necessary compilers, linkers and other tools to make it work. This
    > would not only preserve the venerable OS but would also trigger a boom
    > in development and business for the company itself, besides being a
    > service to the general public.
    >
    > Danilo J Bonsignore

    I suspect they don't have the legacy tools anymore :)
    aftnix, Jul 26, 2012

  3. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    KBH Guest

    You might be interested in DOS:

    http://www.drdos.net/

    But the drdos.com website now offers a $20 license and download of a
    bootable DOS instead of just the license. So the ftp's of drdos.net
    are not needed.

    I would recommend running Turbo Pascal 7 on it. But I can no longer
    find the French edu website that allowed TP7 downloads to the US
    Virgin Islands.
    KBH, Jul 27, 2012
  4. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    KBH Guest

    On Jul 26, 7:04 pm, KBH <> wrote:
    > You might be interested in DOS:
    >
    > http://www.drdos.net/
    >
    > But the drdos.com website now offers a $20 license and download of a
    > bootable DOS instead of just the license. So the ftp's of drdos.net
    > are not needed.
    >
    > I would recommend running Turbo Pascal 7 on it. But I can no longer
    > find the French edu website that allowed TP7 downloads to the US
    > Virgin Islands.

    Oh, PowerBasic still sells a programming language that runs on DOS.
    KBH, Jul 27, 2012
  5. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    Wally W. Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:46:52 -0700 (PDT), Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:

    >Windows 3.1 was **officially** superseded by Windows 95 in 1995. Now
    >it is 17 years. Seventeen years is a typical period of protection for
    >products which may extended some ways, but now that Win 3.1 turned
    >into a plethora of more superadvanced OSs, for historical, cultural,
    >technical reasons Microsoft ought to follow the popular open source
    >model and publish full, complete, compilable source, data files,
    >driver files, etc for the popular old OS and its utilities, along with
    >the necessary compilers, linkers and other tools to make it work. This
    >would not only preserve the venerable OS but would also trigger a boom
    >in development and business for the company itself, besides being a
    >service to the general public.
    >
    >Danilo J Bonsignore

    That is not at the top of my list of things Microsoft ought to do.
    Wally W., Jul 27, 2012
  6. On Jul 26, 4:08 pm, "China Blue [Tor], Meersburg"
    <> wrote:
    > Copyrights can last for decades (or forever if you have Disney's lawyers)and do
    > not require any disclosure of the work.

    Oh, Disney lawyers are all homeless and look and act like cartoons? :|

    Danilo J Bonsignore
    Fabrizio J Bonsignore, Jul 27, 2012
  7. cf. http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/...s-to-linux-because-windows-8-is-a-catastrophe

    I want to play the EXACT SAME GAMES in the EXACT SAME HARDWARE with
    the EXACT SAME OPERATING SYSTEM. Isnt it what they used to build the
    next mess? Alas, not possible, the PC was stolen at some time and
    there is almost no way to purchase a new one (nor to guarantee it does
    not have some virus without complement antivirus). That s market but
    suppliers do not even see it because they are neither in engineering
    nor in economics but in some metaspace of shady motivations and
    already-got-enough-money.

    It is like in, the Vatican deciding to wall paper the Sistine Chapel
    because it will be easier to maintain (clean up) and may reduce air
    conditioning costs... want to buy a postcard with selected deatils of
    the mural?

    Danilo J Bonsignore
    Fabrizio J Bonsignore, Jul 27, 2012
  8. Fabrizio J Bonsignore <> writes:
    > Windows 3.1 was **officially** superseded by Windows 95 in 1995.

    [snip]

    Just a reminder: this is not topical in any of the newsgroups to which
    it was cross-posted.

    (If you want to follow up to this, you'll need to manually adjust the
    newsgroups header.)

    Will write code for food.
    Keith Thompson, Jul 28, 2012
  9. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 07/29/2012 10:04 PM, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
    > In <>, on 07/27/2012
    > at 04:22 PM, Keith Thompson <> said:
    >
    >> (If you want to follow up to this, you'll need to manually adjust
    >> the newsgroups header.)

    > What give you that idea?

    He had "followup-to" set to "alt.dev.null". With most newsreaders I've
    used, that means that without a manual adjustment, replies will only go
    to alt.dev.null, and not back to comp.lang.c. Does yours work differently?
    --
    James Kuyper
    James Kuyper, Jul 30, 2012
  10. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    Guest

    Hi,

    On Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:46:52 PM UTC-5, Fabrizio J Bonsignore wrote:

    > Windows 3.1 was **officially** superseded by Windows 95 in 1995. Now
    > it is 17 years. Seventeen years is a typical period of protection for
    > products which may extended some ways, but now that Win 3.1 turned
    > into a plethora of more superadvanced OSs, for historical, cultural,
    > technical reasons Microsoft ought to follow the popular open source
    > model and publish full, complete, compilable source, data files,
    > driver files, etc for the popular old OS and its utilities, along with
    > the necessary compilers, linkers and other tools to make it work. This
    > would not only preserve the venerable OS but would also trigger a boom
    > in development and business for the company itself, besides being a
    > service to the general public.

    MS probably has tons of copyrights they can't legally clear for that. Similar
    to IBM and OS/2, who has already denied open sourcing any of it. Besides,
    which would you want, Win 3.0, 3.1, 3.11? Somewhat different quirks.

    Most old OSes don't like newer hardware, esp. higher RAM amounts, which often
    confuse them, so you need lots of tweaks and patches. Plus they even lack
    drivers, which is more painful. And it's quite hard finding software for older
    OSes too. At least, most software these days seems to go out of its way to
    only support the "big three", which is a pet peeve of mine.

    Anyways, to bring it back on topic to C (barely), you already have enough free
    OSes and compilers to play with: Minix (ACK), FreeDOS (OpenWatcom),
    ELKS (dev86), Linux (GCC), FreeBSD (Clang), etc. All of those OSes are, more
    or less, written in C.

    Personally, I like FreeDOS a lot, and DOS is what Win 3.1 ran atop anyways. So
    there's still a lot of DOS software out there (though waning in popularity).
    So if you're desperate for nostalgia, try that. If you demand a GUI, try
    OpenGem (GEM) or the recent port of FLTK to DJGPP.
    , Aug 4, 2012
  11. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Most old OSes don't like newer hardware, esp. higher RAM amounts, which
    > often
    > confuse them, so you need lots of tweaks and patches. Plus they even lack
    > drivers, which is more painful. And it's quite hard finding software for
    > older
    > OSes too. At least, most software these days seems to go out of its way to
    > only support the "big three", which is a pet peeve of mine.

    I took my old Diskettes from MSDOS 4.1 up to MSDOS 6 and I took my old 5,25"
    Floppy hardware. So I was able to create image files of them. Then I
    installed DOS 6 in VMware player. However my DOS 6 is an update and only my
    DOS 4.01 is a full version. DOS 4.01 does not install in VMware player. So I
    looked in the world wide web and found a DOS 6 boot disk on WinFuture. Then
    I installed my old Win 3.0 and my old Win 3.1 . I also found a Super VGA
    driver for Win 3.1 on the world wide web. Sometimes it is funny to test a
    Delphi 1 application on Win 3.1 .

    Heiner
    Heinrich Wolf, Aug 4, 2012
  12. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    Guest

    > Personally, I like FreeDOS a lot, and DOS is what Win 3.1 ran atop anyways. So
    >
    > there's still a lot of DOS software out there (though waning in popularity).
    >
    > So if you're desperate for nostalgia, try that. If you demand a GUI, try
    >
    > OpenGem (GEM) or the recent port of FLTK to DJGPP.

    My laptops are sluggish as turtles. I cannot even write as fast as with Win 3.1on 386 +/-. By OS I do mean the GUI part of it... and the API. Tweaking and updating would be a bonus job.

    Though I am just about to SHOUT. Stupid Windows, just latency typo and my session goes into REBOOT. Or my computer may be trojaned, I record something and get RADIO IN IT. But I try ubiquituous anti-X protection and it is still the same.

    Danilo J Bonsignore
    , Aug 9, 2012
  13. Fabrizio J Bonsignore

    Guest

    Funny that the GPL license would apply nice here. If last guy summarized it well, do business with MS and you get the code, otherwise go nuts with MSDN...

    Danilo J Bonsignore
    , Aug 16, 2012