19 Feb 2004, How to access VB.net applications thr' PDA's

Sham Yemul

Hello,

I recently started development in Vb.net. I am about to finish a product in
VB.net Database Applicatio, Sql Server as Backend.
I read little about wireless technology and PDAs.
Is it true that one can access VB.net forms/applications running on Server,
using PDAs ?
If so please tell me where to start for this ? what is the infrastructure
investment for such projects ? What are running cost in terms of hardware
and software ? Where can I get more resources on this topics ?

Thanks in Advance.
Regards.
[Sham Shrinivas Yemul]
--***********************************************
Intellisoft Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
340 A Sakhar peth, Solapur - 413005
Phone : 91-(0)217-262 4713
http:\\intellisoft.netfirms.com
Email : (e-mail address removed)

William Ryan eMVP

Sham:

You may want to check out the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework group, www.devbuzz.com
and www.opennetcf.org for further information.

Using the Compact Framework, you can do on a PDA much of what you can on the
desktop. you Can NOT use Winforms as you know them, they are different
libraries but very very similar. Since the compact framework is well,
compact, there is some missing functionality, much of it missing because it
wouldn't make sense to include it on a PDA. Support for Sockets, Web
Services and DataAcess is excellent though.

This link should help you with getting started...
http://forums.devbuzz.com/tm.asp?m=23928&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

you may want to check the Quickstarts
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/compactframework/doc/default.aspx

And the FAQ's
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/PInvokeLib.asp

Let me know if I can be of any furhter assistance, but if you are looking to
do CF development, let me assure you it's about as cool as it gets..

Sham Yemul said:
[...]

Thanks a lot for the response.
I visited the site, there are lot of resources mentioned , and I am totally
confused from where to start.

My questions are still un-answered. I could not get which hardware I can use
to connect wireless to the server machine which will have VB.net/Sql Server
application.
From your description I came to know that one need eVisualC++ or eVB for
this development. The size of this tool kit is high so I could not download
the toolkit.
I do not have PDA's or Pocket PCs , I am ready to purchase one for my
trial, where and how can I decide on these issues.
Once Again I will brief-out about my application. That the application will
be in VB.net/Sql Sever essentially a database application with Accounting
and other related forms/tables and logic etc. I want to give user the access
to these forms/modules thr' Pocket PC or PDA's.
To my knowledge PDA's or Pocket PCs that have Bluetooth enabled can
communicate wireless with low power consumption and , there is no need for
separate singnal transmission mechanism as WIFI, please clarify this issue.
So essentially if the hardware cost fits in my total solutions' budget,
I can think of this project.

Regards.
[Sham Shrinivas Yemul]

--
Visit following web site for Colored flame lamps
http://in.geocities.com/osyemul/index.html
Intellisoft Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
340 A Sakhar peth, Solapur - 413005
Phone : 91-(0)217-262 4713
http:\\intellisoft.netfirms.com
Email : (e-mail address removed)

William Ryan eMVP

Sham:

First, you don't need eVB or eVC++ as long as you have the Compact Framework
installed on the PDA. Basically you can use anything that supports Pocket PC
2002/2003.

Which PDA you want to get isn't really the issue other than price. You can
get an iPAQ for under $200 as well as the Dell Axim . They will both do the
trick. Better models with Built In wireless and bluetooth will run you
around $300.00+ but if you shop around you can get a good deal. If you
don't buy one with Built in Wireless, you'll need a wireless card. Socket
has many good ones which run about $100.00 +

Here's a list of stuff from Devbuzz http://www.devbuzz.com/mp/ but by all
means, shop around.

Here's a post of how to get development tools
http://forums.devbuzz.com/tm.asp?m=23928&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1 (Remember you
can use eVB and eVC++ but you don't have to and you will proabably find
using VS.NET 2003 and the Compact Framework much easiser. However, if you
are targeting SmartPhone 2002 then you'll have to use eVC++.

You can use BlueTooth to get to the network like you mention but in my
experience you have roughly 10 meters at best if everything is clear...that
may or may not be enough for you. If you have a bunch of BlueTooth devices
in the same area, you may have some issues with signals getting confused.
I've seen this happen mroe than a few times when we've had 3 or 4 in the
same room. GPRS is another alternative but may be overkill for what you
need it for.

All in all, that built in Wi-Fi is probably the way to go, or using a
Wireless card like Socket's. I have both and I really like it. The iPAQ
2210 is probably my favority device considering the price. If you get any
iPAQ, you'll like it. Anyway, if you want soemthing with built in wireless,
you are probably looking at 350-400 a pop. You can get a cheaper model for
150-200 and a wireless card for another hundred. If you only need a few,
you can find deals at Tiger Direct and the like that are very reasonable,
but if you need like a 100 devices, they may not support that volume at deep
discounts.

Finally as far as the app goes.... You'll need a seperate app from your
desktop peice b/c the os is different, forms are different etc. Most of
your dataaccess logic should port right over. The Compact Framework is
missing a fair amount of functionality from the full framework, but if you
are basically just using the PDA as a UI tool for data entry, it's very
straightforward to do. Chekc out the Compact Framework Quickstarts
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/compactframework/doc/default.aspx or
any of the examples in the SDK like PocketTaskVision, they walk you through
the whole process.

YOu may also want to get a book like Fergus and Roof's Definitive Guide to
the COmpact Framework,

HTH,

Bill
Sham Yemul said:
Hello,
Thanks a lot for the response.
I visited the site, there are lot of resources mentioned , and I am totally
confused from where to start.

My questions are still un-answered. I could not get which hardware I can use
to connect wireless to the server machine which will have VB.net/Sql Server
application.
From your description I came to know that one need eVisualC++ or eVB for