19 Feb 2004, How to access VB.net applications thr' PDA's

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sham Yemul, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Sham Yemul

    Sham Yemul Guest

    Hello,

    I recently started development in Vb.net. I am about to finish a product in
    VB.net Database Applicatio, Sql Server as Backend.
    I read little about wireless technology and PDAs.
    Is it true that one can access VB.net forms/applications running on Server,
    using PDAs ?
    If so please tell me where to start for this ? what is the infrastructure
    investment for such projects ? What are running cost in terms of hardware
    and software ? Where can I get more resources on this topics ?

    Thanks in Advance.
    Regards.
    [Sham Shrinivas Yemul]
    --
    > > Visit following web site for Colored flame lamps
    > >http://in.geocities.com/osyemul/index.html

    Intellisoft Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
    340 A Sakhar peth, Solapur - 413005
    Phone : 91-(0)217-262 4713
    http:\\intellisoft.netfirms.com
    Email :

    Sham Yemul, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Sham:

    You may want to check out the
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework group, www.devbuzz.com
    and www.opennetcf.org for further information.

    Using the Compact Framework, you can do on a PDA much of what you can on the
    desktop. you Can NOT use Winforms as you know them, they are different
    libraries but very very similar. Since the compact framework is well,
    compact, there is some missing functionality, much of it missing because it
    wouldn't make sense to include it on a PDA. Support for Sockets, Web
    Services and DataAcess is excellent though.

    This link should help you with getting started...
    http://forums.devbuzz.com/tm.asp?m=23928&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

    you may want to check the Quickstarts
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/compactframework/doc/default.aspx

    And the FAQ's
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/PInvokeLib.asp

    Let me know if I can be of any furhter assistance, but if you are looking to
    do CF development, let me assure you it's about as cool as it gets..

    William Ryan eMVP, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Sham Yemul

    Sham Yemul Guest

    Hello,
    Thanks a lot for the response.
    I visited the site, there are lot of resources mentioned , and I am totally
    confused from where to start.

    My questions are still un-answered. I could not get which hardware I can use
    to connect wireless to the server machine which will have VB.net/Sql Server
    application.
    From your description I came to know that one need eVisualC++ or eVB for
    this development. The size of this tool kit is high so I could not download
    the toolkit.
    I do not have PDA's or Pocket PCs , I am ready to purchase one for my
    trial, where and how can I decide on these issues.
    Once Again I will brief-out about my application. That the application will
    be in VB.net/Sql Sever essentially a database application with Accounting
    and other related forms/tables and logic etc. I want to give user the access
    to these forms/modules thr' Pocket PC or PDA's.
    To my knowledge PDA's or Pocket PCs that have Bluetooth enabled can
    communicate wireless with low power consumption and , there is no need for
    separate singnal transmission mechanism as WIFI, please clarify this issue.
    So essentially if the hardware cost fits in my total solutions' budget,
    I can think of this project.

    Regards.
    [Sham Shrinivas Yemul]

    Sham Yemul, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Sham:

    First, you don't need eVB or eVC++ as long as you have the Compact Framework
    installed on the PDA. Basically you can use anything that supports Pocket PC
    2002/2003.

    Which PDA you want to get isn't really the issue other than price. You can
    get an iPAQ for under $200 as well as the Dell Axim . They will both do the
    trick. Better models with Built In wireless and bluetooth will run you
    around $300.00+ but if you shop around you can get a good deal. If you
    don't buy one with Built in Wireless, you'll need a wireless card. Socket
    has many good ones which run about $100.00 +

    Here's a list of stuff from Devbuzz http://www.devbuzz.com/mp/ but by all
    means, shop around.

    Here's a post of how to get development tools
    http://forums.devbuzz.com/tm.asp?m=23928&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1 (Remember you
    can use eVB and eVC++ but you don't have to and you will proabably find
    using VS.NET 2003 and the Compact Framework much easiser. However, if you
    are targeting SmartPhone 2002 then you'll have to use eVC++.

    You can use BlueTooth to get to the network like you mention but in my
    experience you have roughly 10 meters at best if everything is clear...that
    may or may not be enough for you. If you have a bunch of BlueTooth devices
    in the same area, you may have some issues with signals getting confused.
    I've seen this happen mroe than a few times when we've had 3 or 4 in the
    same room. GPRS is another alternative but may be overkill for what you
    need it for.

    All in all, that built in Wi-Fi is probably the way to go, or using a
    Wireless card like Socket's. I have both and I really like it. The iPAQ
    2210 is probably my favority device considering the price. If you get any
    iPAQ, you'll like it. Anyway, if you want soemthing with built in wireless,
    you are probably looking at 350-400 a pop. You can get a cheaper model for
    150-200 and a wireless card for another hundred. If you only need a few,
    you can find deals at Tiger Direct and the like that are very reasonable,
    but if you need like a 100 devices, they may not support that volume at deep
    discounts.

    Finally as far as the app goes.... You'll need a seperate app from your
    desktop peice b/c the os is different, forms are different etc. Most of
    your dataaccess logic should port right over. The Compact Framework is
    missing a fair amount of functionality from the full framework, but if you
    are basically just using the PDA as a UI tool for data entry, it's very
    straightforward to do. Chekc out the Compact Framework Quickstarts
    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/compactframework/doc/default.aspx or
    any of the examples in the SDK like PocketTaskVision, they walk you through
    the whole process.

    YOu may also want to get a book like Fergus and Roof's Definitive Guide to
    the COmpact Framework,

    HTH,

    Bill

    William Ryan eMVP, Mar 3, 2004