    Ruby can handle using some network frakework like eventmachine?
    Java? Erlang? C?

    Don't know, just need some advice...

    Diego Bernardes, May 14, 2009

  2. Diego Bernardes

    Kirk Haines Guest

    On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Diego Bernardes
    <> wrote:

    > Today i have something like 1k concurrent connections, but i expect that
    > this number increase alot soon, maybe 3k or even more.... The
    > application was made in c#, but dosent seam so good, need restart all
    > day, its slow and so... I need rewrite, and now is my question, what
    > should i use?

    You can exceed that 1k connections threshold if you are using
    EventMachine on a system that supports epoll (Linux) or kqueue.

    EM performance is quite good. Whether the rest of your app would be
    fast or not depends on how you write the code, probably. As for what
    you should use....use what you are comfortable with. Ruby may or may
    not be a good choice. If you are unsure, try to prototype what you
    need, and see how well it works, and how you like it.

    Kirk Haines

    Kirk Haines, May 14, 2009

  3. Diego Bernardes schrieb:
    > I have tons of gprs modems that connect at the same port(ex 9000), but
    > inside our network, every modem should have a unique port so the
    > applications can talk with they. The application its simple, i get a
    > connection request, authenticate the request on radius(a authentication
    > server AAA), if everything allright, i start listening on a random port.
    > So every application i have can send data to that port, and the modem
    > can send data back to the application too.
    >
    > Today i have something like 1k concurrent connections, but i expect that
    > this number increase alot soon, maybe 3k or even more.... The
    > application was made in c#, but dosent seam so good, need restart all
    > day, its slow and so... I need rewrite, and now is my question, what
    > should i use?
    >

    > Ruby can handle using some network frakework like eventmachine?
    > Java? Erlang? C?

    Use "Stackless Python" on FreeBSD 7.2 (no more giant locks)

    Each TCP/IP connection with coroutines consumes less than 300 Byte RAM!!!

    No problem to handle +100.000 simultaneous connections saturated up to
    bandwidth limit at minimum response times. Check out yourself!

    Have fun, Guido Stepken

    Guido Stepken, May 15, 2009