1's complement and 2's complement

Frederick Gotham

Richard Bos posted:
It's managementspeak. The presence of any meaning is purely optional.

Here's a few of my least favourite:

- Touch base.

- We're going to hit the ground running on this one.

Someone hand me a nice heavy metallic object. No, on second thought, a
spoon would be more satisfying.

Keith Thompson

It's managementspeak. The presence of any meaning is purely optional.

Most managers would be smart enough to use the word "report" rather
than "revert".

Apart from that, sarathy did give the impression that he was ordering
us around. That probably wasn't his intent. The difference in
wording between a polite request and a politely-phrased order to an
underling can be subtle.

Bo Persson

Joe Wright said:
Nobody doubts there were 1's complement iron, but when? The last CDC
machine I saw was the 160A in 1962 and I have no idea of its
arithmetic mode. In 1963 I learned the Philco 212/2000 system which
was 2's complement. Every machine I've seen since then is 2's
complement for integer arithmetic. That's 43 years. But I haven't
seen them all.

What was the last 1's complement machine and when was it last
produced?

The Unisys Clearpath 2200 - still very much in production!

http://www.unisys.com/products/mainframes/os__2200__mainframes/index.htm

This is one reason why C++ doesn't require 32 bit 2's complement
harware, when there are some that are 36 bit 1's complement.

Don't miss the webcast tomorrow, when the next model is launched! :)

http://www.unisys.com/products/mainframes/news_a_events/all__events/event__20060727151029.htm

Bo Persson