2.0 Namespaces

Thom Little

In 1.1 I could have two namespaces in the same webgspace. The webspace is on
a remote server. I compile the namespaces separately and check them out on
localhost and when they are checked-out I FTP them to the remote server.

The remote server structure is ...

root
Web.config
/bin
one.dll
two.dll
/one
default.aspx
/two
default.aspx

There would be two modules ...
namespace one
default
namespace two
default

How can I setup 2.0 so that it allows multiple 2.0 namespaces in the same
webspace?

Is it possible to have a 1.1 namespace and a 2.0 namespace in the same
webspace?

Thom Little

I got the answer to the first question. I now have two 2.0 applications in
the same webspace. One has a master page. You build them as applications,
move each to its own subdirectory. Move the contents of all /bin
directories to a single /bin directory in the root of the webspace.

Can 1.1 and 2.0 applications exist in the same webspace?

Can there be more than one master page in a webspace (i.e., one per
directory).

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Can 1.1 and 2.0 applications exist in the same webspace?

No. I've tested that scenario extensively.

You cannot have 1.1 subwebs, or nested applications, of 2.0 apps.
You cannot have 2.0 subwebs, or nested applications, of 1.1 apps.

re:
Can there be more than one master page in a webspace (i.e., one per directory).

Sure there can be more than one.
Just reference the master page you want in the pages in which you want it to be used.

Be careful not to designate a Master Page to be used by default for all pages in an application
by adding a pages element to your web.config file specifying a common Master Page.

IOW, don't set a "one-and-only" Master Page by inserting something like this in web.cofig:

<configuration>
<pages masterPageFile="~/app.master" />
</configuration>

btw, you can even nest Master Pages, i.e., have a Master Page for a set of Master Pages.

See this article for background info and sample code :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/06/ASPNET20MasterPages/default.aspx