2.0: unexpected exception "Thread was being aborted"

R.A.M.

Hello,
Could you help me plase?
I have an ASP.NET page with "Search" button; when button is clicked
Search_Click is called; here's the code:

protected void Search_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Debug.WriteLine("WWWPage.Search_Click()");
try
{
Response.Redirect("Searched.aspx");
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
Debug.WriteLine(
"WWWPage.Search_Click(): exception: " +
ex.Message);

Unfortunatelly Redirect does not work. Here what I found in Output
window:

WWWPage.Search_Click()
A first chance exception of type
'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
WWWPage.Search_Click(): exception: Thread was being aborted.
A first chance exception of type
'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred in
App_Web_2xx5zf8y.dll
An exception of type 'System.Threading.ThreadAbortException' occurred
in App_Web_2xx5zf8y.dll but was not handled in user code

Could you explain me please what is going on and how to correct the
problem? My .NET Framework setup was successful, I use Framework a few
months and there was no such problems.
Thank you very much.
/RAM/

Ray Booysen

Try:

Response.redirect("Searched.aspx", true);

and take it out of the try catch.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

Just for more insight, Response.Redirect throws a ThreadAbordException
intentionally. Technically, Response.Redirect calls Response.End() which
throws the exception.

If you specify true as a 2nd parameter (by default it's false),
Response.End() isn't called, and the page is fully processed before being
redirected.

The real solution to your problem is not to swallow exceptions like you are
doing. You really shouldn't ever catch Exception.

Karl

R.A.M.

Try:

Response.redirect("Searched.aspx", true);

and take it out of the try catch.

It didn't help. Whatever I write:
Response.Redirect("Searched.aspx", false);
Response.Redirect("Searched.aspx", true);
Response.Redirect("Searched.aspx");
I have the exception.
Please help.
/RAM/