    script that removes it from Add/Remove Programs and the Start Menu's
    'Programs' folder, but we'd like to not have the installer default to
    the root dir... any suggestions???

    Brad Tilley, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Hello,

    Brad Tilley wrote:
    > Is there an easy way to make the windows installer default to c:\Program
    > Files\Python23 instead of c:\Python23? I know that the path can be
    > changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
    > dozens/hundreds of machines.

    In version 2.4 there is a msi installer. It is possible to use a command line
    switch that points to a new install dir.
    Wrap this in a batch or something else and you are done.

    I don't know if it's possible to supply the installer of version 2.3 with
    a command line switch.

    bye by Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Langner, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Brad Tilley

    R.Marquez Guest

    Brad Tilley <> wrote in message
    > changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
    > dozens/hundreds of machines.

    When you have "dozens/hundreds of machines" in Windows you will be
    better off having some kind of Application deployment mechanism such
    as SMS (not that I am promoting that particular one). Those tools
    will allow you to create a wrapper installation package whith which
    you can automate the way the original setup program is run. You can
    then push this installation packages at will or simply allow the users
    to pull them in as desired.

    R.Marquez, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Brad Tilley wrote:
    > Is there an easy way to make the windows installer default to c:\Program
    > Files\Python23 instead of c:\Python23? I know that the path can be
    > changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
    > dozens/hundreds of machines.

    Isn't a shared network installation an option worth considering in such
    a setting?

    --
    Vincent Wehren

    vincent wehren, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Brad Tilley

    Brad Tilley Guest

    R.Marquez wrote:
    > Brad Tilley <> wrote in message
    >
    >>changed manually at install, but that's a pain when you have
    >>dozens/hundreds of machines.

    > When you have "dozens/hundreds of machines" in Windows you will be
    > better off having some kind of Application deployment mechanism such
    > as SMS (not that I am promoting that particular one). Those tools
    > will allow you to create a wrapper installation package whith which
    > you can automate the way the original setup program is run. You can
    > then push this installation packages at will or simply allow the users
    > to pull them in as desired.

    It's not as simple as that for me... we're informal with many types of
    HW and most machines are geographically distributed and administered by
    the users... we only touch machines when they initially arrive and we
    only see users when a problem arises and they come in...We try to
    develop generic OS installations and Python sys-admin tools that work
    for every machine in every location and situation.

    thanks for the suggestion.

    Brad Tilley, Oct 7, 2004