    Woody?

    --
    René Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Rene Pijlman

    Jan Dries Guest

    Rene Pijlman wrote:
    > There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.
    >
    > Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
    > and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?
    >
    > E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
    > Woody?

    I've installed 2.3 from source on a minimal Debian Woody, and it went
    flawlessly. The only extra software I had to install was BerkeleyDB for
    the bsddb package to work, but that has nothing to do with Debian.

    Regards,
    Jan

    Jan Dries, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Rene Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    Jan Dries:
    >Rene Pijlman:
    >> There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.
    >>
    >> Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
    >> and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?
    >>
    >> E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
    >> Woody?

    >I've installed 2.3 from source on a minimal Debian Woody, and it went
    >flawlessly. The only extra software I had to install was BerkeleyDB for
    >the bsddb package to work, but that has nothing to do with Debian.

    Great Jan, thanks!

    --
    René Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Rene Pijlman

    Matt Goodall Guest

    Rene Pijlman wrote:

    >There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.
    >
    >Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
    >and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?
    >
    >E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
    >Woody?

    I know it's not really Woody but if you feel brave then Debian testing
    is fantastic for Python. To tempt you, here's the list of readily
    available Python packages:

    http://packages.debian.org/testing/python/

    Just in case you don't already know ... it's relatively easy to have a
    basic Debian stable system with some packages (i.e. Python) upgraded to
    testing or even unstable. Read about Debian apt pinning for more
    information.

    Cheers, Matt

    --
    Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
    w: http://www.pollenation.net

    Matt Goodall, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Rene Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    Matt Goodall:
    [Python 2.3 on Debian woody]
    >I know it's not really Woody but if you feel brave then Debian testing
    >is fantastic for Python.

    Thanks, but I'm developing for a customer with a production server running
    woody, so testing is not an option for me.

    Building 2.3 from source is ok, so I guess I'll do that. Just have to
    figure out how to get mod_python and such up and running.

    --
    René Pijlman

    Rene Pijlman, Oct 25, 2003
  6. Rene Pijlman

    Jules Dubois Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:18:26 +0200, in article
    <>, Rene Pijlman wrote:

    > There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.

    Version 2.3.2 is in Sarge.

    I'm running Libranet 2.8, a mixture of (at least) testing and some Libranet
    mods. In many cases, it's possible to run both stable and testing
    together... and unstable if you're braver than me. I've never had a
    problem (Potato+Woody and now Woody+Sarge+Libranet), but this article
    comes, as Microsoft disclaims, AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS.

    > Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
    > and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?

    Someone with actual experience might answer this. The only problem I've
    *ever* had with source packages on Debian was yesterday with lm-sensors and
    i2c.

    > E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
    > Woody?

    That seems unlikely, although it's possible. If you build your own
    packages and link them against existing libraries, it's likely to work.
    (Perhaps, though you really will need some additional libraries.)

    I don't know how to get a pastable text listing of the dependencies for the
    binary package or I'd post them here.

    Jules Dubois, Oct 25, 2003
  7. Rene Pijlman

    Mark Roach Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:18:26 +0200, Rene Pijlman wrote:

    > There doesn't seem to be an apt package for Python 2.3 on Debian Woody.
    >
    > Should I expect unusual difficulties or unsolvable problems when building
    > and installing 2.3 on Woody from the source distribution of Python?
    >
    > E.g. things like dependencies on other libraries that are not available on
    > Woody?

    The easiest way is probably going to be backporting the package from sid.
    It is actually fairly easy to do, just add a line like

    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

    to your /etc/apt/sources.list and then "apt-get source python2.3" then
    from the python2.3 directory run dpkg-buildpackage. If you are missing any
    dependencies it will let you know. You can also run "apt-get build-dep
    python2.3" to have apt try to automatically install the required packages.

    If there are dependencies that woody can't meet, then you perform the same
    steps for each of those packages as well.

    -Mark

    Mark Roach, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Rene Pijlman

    Jan Dries Guest

    Rene Pijlman wrote:
    > Matt Goodall:
    > [Python 2.3 on Debian woody]
    >
    >>I know it's not really Woody but if you feel brave then Debian testing
    >>is fantastic for Python.

    > Thanks, but I'm developing for a customer with a production server running
    > woody, so testing is not an option for me.
    >
    > Building 2.3 from source is ok, so I guess I'll do that. Just have to
    > figure out how to get mod_python and such up and running.

    If you want to build mod_python from source as well, you need to patch
    it, at least the 3.0.3 version, to work with Python-2.3.2, as the latter
    no longer defined LONG_LONG.

    Add the following to src/include/mod_python.h

    /* python 2.3 no longer defines LONG_LONG, it defines PY_LONG_LONG */
    #ifndef LONG_LONG
    #define LONG_LONG PY_LONG_LONG
    #endif

    Beyond this, a mere