2.3 Redhat 9 Tkinter IDLE

Discussion in 'Python' started by RT Lange, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. RT Lange

    RT Lange Guest

    im trying to get idle to work and its really getting frustrating
    (and from what ive read on other posts i am not alone)

    i think i have to edit the Modules/Setup file but im confused as
    to what to uncoment and what to change.

    i dont know where my Tcl/Tk libraries are
    i think my Tcl/Tk headers are in /usr/include/ (not in
    /usr/local/include)
    im not sure where my X11 headers are (they werent in /usr/x11r6/include)
    Tix/BLT - dont know what those are
    im pretty sure my tcl/tk version is 8.3(rpm -qa tcl/tk reveals 8.3.5-88)

    and so then i should rebuild and reinstall.
    and then "Make sure to enable the _tkinter module as well as the
    TKPATH variable definition."(not sure what they mean by enable or
    what to do with TKPATH)

    2 questions:
    Why does this have to be so difficult?
    Can anyone provide step by step inststructions?

    RT Lange, Aug 3, 2003

  2. "RT Lange" <> writes:

    > im trying to get idle to work and its really getting frustrating
    > (and from what ive read on other posts i am not alone)
    >
    > i think i have to edit the Modules/Setup file but im confused as
    > to what to uncoment and what to change.

    No, you don't have to edit Modules/Setup. _tkinter is built
    automatically if you have the header files installed.

    > Why does this have to be so difficult?

    Because you have limited disk space. As a result of that, Redhat
    decides not to install all header files by default. As a result of
    that, you have to make an explicit choise as to what header files to
    install.

    > Can anyone provide step by step inststructions?

    Sorry, I don't have Redhat 9, so I don't know what the name of the
    package is that contains the Tk header files. It probably has the
    strings "tcl" and "dev" in their name.

    I also don't know whether you installed the system from CD-ROM, DVD,
    or via the network, so I can't give precise instructions as to what
    media to insert into what slot.

    It would be better if you reported the steps you have been doing, and
    the problems you see.

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Aug 3, 2003

  3. RT Lange

    RT Lange Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 09:50:26 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

    > No, you don't have to edit Modules/Setup. _tkinter is built
    > automatically if you have the header files installed.

    i have the header files: /usr/include/tcl.h;/usr/include/tk.h

    > Sorry, I don't have Redhat 9, so I don't know what the name of the
    > package is that contains the Tk header files. It probably has the
    > strings "tcl" and "dev" in their name.

    the package is buried under "Kernel Development"

    > It would be better if you reported the steps you have been doing, and
    > the problems you see.

    [root@/usr/lib/Python-2.3]# make
    case $MAKEFLAGS in \
    *-s*) CC='gcc -pthread' LDSHARED='gcc -pthread -shared' OPT='-DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
    -Wstrict-prototypes' ./python -E ./setup.py -q build;; \
    *) CC='gcc -pthread' LDSHARED='gcc -pthread -shared' OPT='-DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
    -Wstrict-prototypes' ./python -E ./setup.py build;; \
    esac
    running build
    running build_ext
    building '_tkinter' extension
    gcc -pthread -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -fno-strict-aliasing -DWITH_APPINIT=1
    -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I/usr/lib/Python-2.3/./Include -I/usr/local/include
    -I/usr/lib/Python-2.3/Include -I/usr/lib/Python-2.3 -c /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c
    -o build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/_tkinter.o
    /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c:96:2: #error "unsupported Tcl configuration"
    /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c: In function `AsObj':
    /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c:947: warning: passing arg 1 of `Tcl_NewUnicodeObj' from
    incompatible pointer type
    /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c: In function `FromObj':
    /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c:1073: warning: passing arg 1 of `PyUnicodeUCS2_FromUnicode'
    from incompatible pointer type
    running build_scripts

    RT Lange, Aug 3, 2003
  4. "RT Lange" <> writes:

    > /usr/lib/Python-2.3/Modules/_tkinter.c:96:2: #error "unsupported Tcl configuration"

    That is the problem. Quoting from README:

    Red Hat Linux: Red Hat 9 built Python2.2 in UCS-4 mode and hacked
    Tcl to support it. To compile Python2.3 with Tkinter, you will
    need to pass --enable-unicode=ucs4 flag to ./configure.

    In this case "it is so difficult" because Redhat chose to hack Tcl.

    HTH,
    Martin

    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Aug 3, 2003