2 Default web Pages

Samuel

Hi

I have one website that is supposed to run with 2 URLs.
Those that enter using URL A should see one html file (for search engine
optimisation) and the others entering using URL B should see be redirected
to other aspx file,
Since the default file is an HTML fie how can I redirect those entering via
the other URL to the ASPX page?

Thank you,
Samuel

David Wier

the only way I know of checking the urls and redirecting, is with a dynamic
platform, like asp, asp.net or php....
if it IS possible with HTML, I certainly haven't heard of a way to do it.

David Wier
http://aspnet101.com
bloated markup

Guest

Hi

I have one website that is supposed to run with 2 URLs.
Those that enter using URL A should see one html file (for search engine
optimisation) and the others entering using URL B should see be redirected
to other aspx file,
Since the default file is an HTML fie how can I redirect those entering via
the other URL to the ASPX page?

Thank you,
Samuel

Make the aspx page your site's default page and check the browser type
in server-side code (use Request.UserAgent property, or
Request.ServerVariables to retrieve the HTTP_USER_AGENT header value)

Samuel

Will that affect the search engine optimization?

Anon User said:
Make the aspx page your site's default page and check the browser type
in server-side code (use Request.UserAgent property, or
Request.ServerVariables to retrieve the HTTP_USER_AGENT header value)

Samuel

Actually the purpose is to divide between the commercial and the retail
customers

The question regarding the search engine is that the whole reason why I have
an HTML page is for the optimisation an having an ASP page may defeat the
purpose

I also wonder whether the search engine finds the website by the IP address
or the domain name

Guest

Actually the purpose is to divide between the commercial and the retail
customers

The question regarding the search engine is that the whole reason why I have
an HTML page is for the optimisation an having an ASP page may defeat the
purpose

I also wonder whether the search engine finds the website by the IP address
or the domain name

There is no difference between asp and html in terms of optimization.
Why not to do it in a simple way having two different links, for
example, corp.com/commercial and corp.com/retail ?

Samuel

It is beneficial to have default webpage because not everyone will bother
typing the name of the file such as Index.html passed the URL but then the
commercial customers who don't bother to type the file name will see the
home page of the retail and this is what I am trying to avoid.

The question is whether I can have the aspx file as the default page and in
the load event redirect users if necessary and then a separate html page
(that will not be the default page) for the search engines, but will that
affect the search engines because it is no longer the default web page.