    the other URL to the ASPX page?

    Thank you,
    Samuel

    Samuel, Oct 8, 2007

  2. Samuel

    David Wier Guest

    the only way I know of checking the urls and redirecting, is with a dynamic
    platform, like asp, asp.net or php....
    if it IS possible with HTML, I certainly haven't heard of a way to do it.

    David Wier
    http://aspnet101.com
    bloated markup

    David Wier, Oct 8, 2007

  3. On Oct 8, 4:58 pm, "Samuel" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have one website that is supposed to run with 2 URLs.
    > Those that enter using URL A should see one html file (for search engine
    > optimisation) and the others entering using URL B should see be redirected
    > to other aspx file,
    > Since the default file is an HTML fie how can I redirect those entering via
    > the other URL to the ASPX page?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Samuel

    Make the aspx page your site's default page and check the browser type
    in server-side code (use Request.UserAgent property, or
    Request.ServerVariables to retrieve the HTTP_USER_AGENT header value)

    Alexey Smirnov, Oct 8, 2007
  4. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    Will that affect the search engine optimization?

    Samuel, Oct 8, 2007
  5. Alexey Smirnov, Oct 8, 2007
  6. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    Actually the purpose is to divide between the commercial and the retail
    customers

    The question regarding the search engine is that the whole reason why I have
    an HTML page is for the optimisation an having an ASP page may defeat the
    purpose

    I also wonder whether the search engine finds the website by the IP address
    or the domain name

    Samuel, Oct 8, 2007
  7. On Oct 8, 9:01 pm, "Samuel" <> wrote:
    > Actually the purpose is to divide between the commercial and the retail
    > customers
    >
    > The question regarding the search engine is that the whole reason why I have
    > an HTML page is for the optimisation an having an ASP page may defeat the
    > purpose
    >
    > I also wonder whether the search engine finds the website by the IP address
    > or the domain name

    There is no difference between asp and html in terms of optimization.
    Why not to do it in a simple way having two different links, for
    example, corp.com/commercial and corp.com/retail ?

    Alexey Smirnov, Oct 8, 2007
  8. Samuel

    Samuel Guest

    It is beneficial to have default webpage because not everyone will bother
    typing the name of the file such as Index.html passed the URL but then the
    commercial customers who don't bother to type the file name will see the
    home page of the retail and this is what I am trying to avoid.

    The question is whether I can have the aspx file as the default page and in
    the load event redirect users if necessary and then a separate html page
    (that will not be the default page) for the search engines, but will that
    affect the search engines because it is no longer the default web page.

    Samuel, Oct 8, 2007