2 errors: "The parameter is incorrect" and "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress."

Michelle Kinsey-Clinton

Hello,

I am writing an ASP app which is giving me some very frustrating
errors. They appear intermittently, no real pattern to them, and often
go away if you reload, or back up a few pages and start over again.

The first error is logged as a 400 error and says only, "The parameter
is incorrect." It (mostly, but not always) happens upon submitting a
form, and a reload is generally successful in bringing the page up
just fine. I have previously made the problem go away by changing the
form from method=post to method=get, but now I have a form which must
be post.

The second error is logged as a 500 error and says only, "Overlapped
I/O operation is in progress."

I'll paste some in-progress code below. It's *very* rough. Basically,
the idea is that on a previous page, an array is set in session scope
which contains an arbitrary number of elements. The user then is shown
one page for each element in the array with a form for him to edit the
contents of the array. The code I'm pasting is the element edit page,
which at this point only submits to itself and does no processing of
the submission at all---but it's throwing errors anyway.

This IS the only page on which I see the I/O error. This is NOT the
only page on which I see the parameter incorrect error. Any general
tips on how to trap/debug these errors would be greatly, greatly
appreciated---my project is at a standstill until I can figure
something out. Thank you.

<%@LANGUAGE="VBScript"%>
<%response.expires=-1%>
<% If Session("intCurrentElement") < Session("intElementsCount")
Then%>
<h2><%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCurrentElement"),1)%></h2>
<form name="EditElement" method="post" action="EditElementValue.asp">
<textarea cols="60" rows="20"
name="Element<%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCurrentElement"),0)%>">
<%=Session("arrElementValues")(Session("intCurrentElement"),2)%>
</textarea>
<input type="Submit">
</form>
<% Else Response.Write("end")End If%>
<%Session("intCurrentElement") = Session("intCurrentElement") + 1%>

Ray at

Check your event log for any signs of problems with your hard disk or your
RAID controller, should you have one. Run a scandisk and other such things.

Ray at home

Michelle Kinsey-Clinton

Nothing in the event log to correspond to these errors.

But would hard disk or similar problems manifest themselves in errors
displayed in the web browser?

Ray at

Michelle Kinsey-Clinton said:
Nothing in the event log to correspond to these errors.

But would hard disk or similar problems manifest themselves in errors
displayed in the web browser?

I'm not sure about that, and it's not really the easiest thing to test
unless I go gouge a hard drive with a screwdriver. I don't want to do that
though. You aren't running this site off a CD ROM or anything, right? Are
you running this site on XP Pro SP1 with the files on a W2K server that is
also a DC? That can cause lots of I/O errors. Beyond that, I'm not sure
what to tell you. But if you're getting I/O errors and all the files are on
local hard drives, it seems that it would be a hardware related issue.

Ray at work

things.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

The second error is logged as a 500 error and says only, "Overlapped
I/O operation is in progress."

This has nothing to do with disk errors, this is a valid error message
coming from SQL Server.

Unfortunately, the code you included is not going to be helpful in solving
the problem, because the error comes from SQL Server, not session code...