    than at top.
    I can do it in html, but xhtml seems to not like that idea.
    I'll worry about validation later.

    richard, Oct 2, 2006

  2. richard

    Ben C Guest

    On 2006-10-02, richard <> wrote:
    > http://1-small-world.com/index3.html
    >
    > Trying to work with xhtml some I've run across 2 problems I would like
    > solved.
    > Firefox displays a small area before the "blue" header section. How to
    > correct?

    I think the problem there is your <font> element, which creates an
    inline box with nothing in it but a height equal to the default
    line-height at that point. Either wrap the <font> element around
    whatever you want the font set on, or, preferably, use CSS font
    properties instead and no font element at all.

    > I would like the "1 small world" text centered more over the globe rather
    > than at top.
    > I can do it in html, but xhtml seems to not like that idea.

    You may be able to get that working with the background-position
    property.

    Ben C, Oct 2, 2006

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    "Ben C" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-10-02, richard <> wrote:
    >> http://1-small-world.com/index3.html
    >>
    >> Trying to work with xhtml some I've run across 2 problems I would like
    >> solved.
    >> Firefox displays a small area before the "blue" header section. How to
    >> correct?

    > I think the problem there is your <font> element, which creates an
    > inline box with nothing in it but a height equal to the default
    > line-height at that point. Either wrap the <font> element around
    > whatever you want the font set on, or, preferably, use CSS font
    > properties instead and no font element at all.
    >
    >> I would like the "1 small world" text centered more over the globe rather
    >> than at top.
    >> I can do it in html, but xhtml seems to not like that idea.

    > You may be able to get that working with the background-position
    > property.

    My editor has been inserting font statements by itself for some reason.
    I try to get rid of them first.

    Now I think I managed to get rid of the whitespace but now a slight problem
    with the text in the "header".
    Slowly I will get it right.

    richard, Oct 2, 2006
  4. richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    richard wrote:

    > Slowly I will get it right.

    If you plan to, then please upload the page as "example_001.html",
    "example_002.html" etc. first.

    It gets very hard to follow the thread of a Usenet dialogue where
    you're continually working on a page under the same URL and someone
    comes to the thread later, after you've already changed it.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 2, 2006
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote in message

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Slowly I will get it right.

    > If you plan to, then please upload the page as "example_001.html",
    > "example_002.html" etc. first.
    >
    > It gets very hard to follow the thread of a Usenet dialogue where
    > you're continually working on a page under the same URL and someone
    > comes to the thread later, after you've already changed it.

    So each time I make a change, add one? Ok. So in a week I could have
    example_999.tml.
    As long as the basic design itself hasn't changed drastically, I don't see
    where that's necessary.
    Compare that page to www.1-small-world.com/index2.tml
    What's different?

    richard, Oct 2, 2006
  6. richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    richard wrote:

    > So each time I make a change, add one?

    If you're expecting public help with them, then yes.

    > Ok. So in a week I could have example_999.tml.

    We'd either have fixed it by then, or grown bored and wandered off !

    > What's different?

    Stop trying to invent this from scratch, go find a good example, use
    that, then modify it.

    You need to read the group archives before you'll get sensible replies
    re: the CSS - otherwise lots of people will just point out the glaring
    errors that are discussed ten times a week.

    As it stands, then you're rife with fixed-widths and sizes in pixels.
    Your doctype and encoding are bogus. Your font names are unquoted and
    the sizes are in points. You aren't setting background colours where
    needed.

    Obvious visible errors are that the "centred" globe image is only
    centred for one window width. Also the RHS padding box "something" is
    clearing below, so it's overlapping the "menu" text.

    Most significantly, you're enclosing everything in a multiplicity of
    will make it hard to apply CSS to "Body Content" alone without
    affecting the other page components.

    Strip it down, make it simpler, get it working first. Don't throw
    #container and #a2text are superfluous. Or just use an existing example
    page.

    Thanks though for using valid HTML and for embedding the CSS inside the
    page (bad practice long term, but it makes development examples easier
    to read).

    Andy Dingley, Oct 2, 2006
  7. richard

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> So each time I make a change, add one?

    > If you're expecting public help with them, then yes.
    >
    >> Ok. So in a week I could have example_999.tml.

    > We'd either have fixed it by then, or grown bored and wandered off !
    >

    >> What's different?

    > Stop trying to invent this from scratch, go find a good example, use
    > that, then modify it.

    Precisely what I am doing.

    > You need to read the group archives before you'll get sensible replies
    > re: the CSS - otherwise lots of people will just point out the glaring
    > errors that are discussed ten times a week.
    >
    > As it stands, then you're rife with fixed-widths and sizes in pixels.
    > Your doctype and encoding are bogus. Your font names are unquoted and
    > the sizes are in points. You aren't setting background colours where
    > needed.

    Then why does the validator show it validates?
    I prefer using pt for font size because that is a fixed standard.

    richard, Oct 2, 2006