2 Questions:

john

1) I am considering whether to dedicate a considerable amount of time
to learning C++. If anybody has insights into what attributes and
skills are neccesary to become moderately proficient in C++, I would
be grateful.

2) I have got a book to help me learn C++ with, Sams "Teach yourself
C++ in 21 days" (AS IF!) by Jessie Liberty. If anybody is familiar
with this text and C++, I wonder if they could let me know whether
they thought it was any good.

John

Alf P. Steinbach

1) I am considering whether to dedicate a considerable amount of time
to learning C++. If anybody has insights into what attributes and
skills are neccesary to become moderately proficient in C++, I would
be grateful.

That's a goobledegook "manager-wannabe-question". It's meaningless,
sort of "what is the best strategy for adding 2 and 2?", only instead of
right out saying the problem is "2+2" some nonsense generalization is
used. The only way to find out if you have what it takes is to try.

2) I have got a book to help me learn C++ with, Sams "Teach yourself
C++ in 21 days" (AS IF!) by Jessie Liberty. If anybody is familiar
with this text and C++, I wonder if they could let me know whether
they thought it was any good.

Reportedly it's absolutely not a good a book.

However, Jessie Liberty himself has maintained in this newsgroup that
most of the most glaring errors and omissions have been corrected in
the latest edition(s) -- that may or may not be correct...

Generally, if you already know one other programming language, the
recommended book is "Accelerated C++".

Jonathan Turkanis

john said:
1) I am considering whether to dedicate a considerable amount of time
to learning C++. If anybody has insights into what attributes and
skills are neccesary to become moderately proficient in C++, I would
be grateful.

I believe anyone (of average intelligence) should be able to become
moderately proficient in C++. People with a special aptitude for
technical matters have a bit of an advantage. Certainly if you are
moderately proficient in any other programming language, you should be
able to become moderately proficient in C++.
2) I have got a book to help me learn C++ with, Sams "Teach yourself
C++ in 21 days" (AS IF!) by Jessie Liberty. If anybody is familiar
with this text and C++, I wonder if they could let me know whether
they thought it was any good.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say so, but I believe I read book with that
title a couple of years ago. From the title, you might think it would
be garbage, but I think it actually wasn't too bad. I wouldn't
recommend spending a lot of time on it, but it probably wouldn't hurt
to read through it quickly (if you are able) to get a quick overview
of the language. For a solid foundation, the following are considered
excellent:

Accelerated C++ (Koenig & Moo)
The C++ Primer, 3rd Ed. Lojoie and Lippman (*not* Prata)
The C++ Programming Language, 3rd. or special editions
(Stroustrup)

Jonathan

Thomas Matthews

john said:
1) I am considering whether to dedicate a considerable amount of time
to learning C++. If anybody has insights into what attributes and
skills are neccesary to become moderately proficient in C++, I would
be grateful.

Be aware that progrmming requires more than just knowing a language.
There are data structures, recursive algorithms, iterative algorithms,
design patterns, object-oriented approach, numerical analysis,
encapsulation and coupling to name a few. Know a language is the
foundation and the place to start.

You will need some knowledge of the target requirements. For example,
if you are writing a loan application, you will need to know about
processing loans. If you are writing a program to control air valves
then you will need to know some electronics, mechanics and control
theory. Be propared to make a deep investment in knowledge.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Mike Wahler

Thomas Matthews said:
Be aware that progrmming requires more than just knowing a language.
There are data structures, recursive algorithms, iterative algorithms,
design patterns, object-oriented approach, numerical analysis,
encapsulation and coupling to name a few. Know a language is the
foundation and the place to start.

A language is important, yes. But I think more fundamental is
problem solving skills. One problem that is constantly needing
a solution is the location of needed information.
You will need some knowledge of the target requirements. For example,
if you are writing a loan application, you will need to know about
processing loans. If you are writing a program to control air valves
then you will need to know some electronics, mechanics and control
theory. Be propared to make a deep investment in knowledge.

Exactly. As I tell folks constantly, if you can't do something yourself,
you have no hope of telling a computer (by writing a program) how to do it.

-Mike

Jon Bell

1) I am considering whether to dedicate a considerable amount of time
to learning C++. If anybody has insights into what attributes and
skills are neccesary to become moderately proficient in C++, I would
be grateful.

Do you have any programming experience in some other language, or are you
learning to program from scratch, as well as learning C++? It makes a
difference in the resources that people are likely to recommend to you.

As far as general skills are concerned, I would say that in order to
become a good programmer, you need to have good organization skills. One
of the best students I've ever had was actually an English major! He knew
how to organize his thoughts and write effective expository prose, and he
was able to carry that over into organizing his programs logically.

Also, you need to have a good eye for detail. In written English, we can
tolerate minor grammatical slipups or mislaid punctuation, but a C++
compiler (or any other language's compiler, for that matter) does not
forgive things like missing semicolons or unbalanced parentheses.

The Directive

[snip]
2) I have got a book to help me learn C++ with, Sams "Teach yourself
C++ in 21 days" (AS IF!) by Jessie Liberty. If anybody is familiar
with this text and C++, I wonder if they could let me know whether
they thought it was any good.

For a newbie, I recommend the book "C++ Primer Plus (4th Edition) by Stephen
Prata". (Don't confuse it with the other book "C++ Primer by Lipman")

--The Directive

Jonathan Turkanis

The Directive said:
For a newbie, I recommend the book "C++ Primer Plus (4th Edition) by Stephen
Prata". (Don't confuse it with the other book "C++ Primer by Lipman")

I agree with the parenthetical remark.

Jonathan