2 sites or not 2 sites

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Yitzak, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. Yitzak

    Yitzak Guest

    Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.

    I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
    develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
    users to change content.

    I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
    pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
    user commits new page to DB.

    If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
    users:
    1. Main site - read only on Database
    2. Content site - read/write

    If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
    the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
    that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
    Isn't this dangerous?

    Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
    credentials?

    If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
    VS2008?

    Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
    still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.

    Thanks
    Yitzak, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Yitzak

    bruce barker Guest

    you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
    server 2003 r2, or server 2008.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Yitzak

    Yitzak Guest

    On 7 Mar, 23:52, bruce barker <> wrote:
    > you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
    > server 2003 r2, or server 2008.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    >
    > Yitzak wrote:
    > > Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.

    > > I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
    > > develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
    > > users to change content.

    > > I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
    > > pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
    > > user commits new page to DB.

    > > If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
    > > users:
    > > 1. Main site - read only on Database
    > > 2. Content site - read/write

    > > If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
    > > the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
    > > that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
    > > Isn't this dangerous?

    > > Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
    > > credentials?

    > > If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
    > > VS2008?

    > > Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
    > > still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.

    > > Thanks

    Thanks not sure if we have it
    Yitzak, Mar 9, 2009
  4. Yitzak

    Hillbilly Guest

    Windows SharePoint Services comes bundled -free- with all Windows Server
    Operating Systems --BUT-- to deploy SharePoint Server (a different product
    built on WSS) to the public is outrageoulsy expensive. Last time I looked
    (some time ago) it cost $30,000!

    The first thing a developer needs to learn is how to google. If you will
    google you will learn how to share a database with multiple sites without
    SharePoint.

    Hillbilly, Mar 9, 2009
  5. On Mar 9, 4:48 pm, "Hillbilly" <> wrote:
    > Windows SharePoint Services comes bundled -free- with all Windows Server
    > Operating Systems --BUT-- to deploy SharePoint Server (a different product
    > built on WSS) to the public is outrageoulsy expensive. Last time I looked
    > (some time ago) it cost $30,000!
    >
    > The first thing a developer needs to learn is how to google. If you will
    > google you will learn how to share a database with multiple sites without
    > SharePoint.
    >
    > "Yitzak" <> wrote in message

    > > On 7 Mar, 23:52, bruce barker <> wrote:
    > >> you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
    > >> server 2003 r2, or server 2008.

    > >> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    > > Thanks not sure if we have it

    What all this answers are about? What SharePoint? He's asking about
    ASP.NET.

    Yitzak, your question depends on how user has been authenticated. Do
    you use Windows Authentication, or Forms Authentication?

    As for the password, you might consider to use Trusted SQL Server
    Connection. This allows the user to bypass the standard SQL Server
    logon process. With this approach, a network user can access a SQL
    Server database without supplying a separate logon identification or
    password because SQL Server obtains the user and password information
    from the Windows NT network security process.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=trusted connection asp.net sql server
    http://jingyeluo.blogspot.com/2004/11/setting-up-trusted-connection-between..html

    Hope this helps
    Alexey Smirnov, Mar 10, 2009