2 tier to 3 tier?

Guest

I have a web application in C#, there are .aspx pages and business objects
are compiled as DLL in /bin folder (the objects run queries on the database,
..aspx pages never have direct connection to database).. The performance is
pretty good now, but it still looks 2-tier to me cos dll is running on the
same webserver. I am worrying about scalability in the future. Any
recommendation? any easy way to make it become physically 3-tier? say...
running the business object dll on another machine?

Guest

if the business objects are in a separate project, you ahve a UI tier and a
business tier. You can move to different machines, as long as you set up an
interface (COM+ or web services in most cases). If the database is on
another, you MIGHT be 3 tier. It depends on the logic, ie:

Do you have a data access layer?
or
Do you do your work through stored procedures, not ad hoc queries from the
page?

If so, you are three tier.

If your app works now, you are fine. If it is already logically divided
(different projecs and a DAL or stored procs), you are ready to divide
amongst machines, if necessary.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA