2D online multiplayer framework?

George Oliver

I'm looking for a framework to support a 2D online real-time
multiplayer game (rugby league football with a lo-fi pixel look). The
GameProgramming page at the Python wiki had some suggestions but so
far nothing looks that promising, does anyone have some
recommendations?

It would be ideal to play this through a web browser but I don't know
if that's practical.

This aspect of programming is pretty new to me so I'm not sure if I
should start with something general like Twisted or if there's a
different path I should take.

thanks, George

Cédric Lucantis

Le Saturday 28 June 2008 09:49:42 George Oliver, vous avez écrit :
I'm looking for a framework to support a 2D online real-time
multiplayer game (rugby league football with a lo-fi pixel look). The
GameProgramming page at the Python wiki had some suggestions but so
far nothing looks that promising, does anyone have some
recommendations?

It would be ideal to play this through a web browser but I don't know
if that's practical.

This aspect of programming is pretty new to me so I'm not sure if I
should start with something general like Twisted or if there's a
different path I should take.

There is Allegro, a (very good and easy to use) game development library which
has some python bindings (afaik it is not finished but usable):

http://pyallegro.sourceforge.net/

(the allegro website is here: http://alleg.sourceforge.net/ )

or SDL, another good one with the same purpose:

http://www.libsdl.org/
http://www.pygame.org/news.html

both are (imho) very good and easy to learn, but they are C libraries so some
knowledge of this language might help you to understand them.

Gary Herron

George said:
I'm looking for a framework to support a 2D online real-time
multiplayer game (rugby league football with a lo-fi pixel look). The
GameProgramming page at the Python wiki had some suggestions but so
far nothing looks that promising, does anyone have some
recommendations?

It would be ideal to play this through a web browser but I don't know
if that's practical.

This aspect of programming is pretty new to me so I'm not sure if I
should start with something general like Twisted or if there's a
different path I should take.

thanks, George
Pyglet is my favorite: http://www.pyglet.org/

Twisted might be fine for the "online multiplayer" parts, but really if
you want a 2D/3D real-time game, start with a game framework.

Gary Herron

George Oliver

Pyglet is my favorite: http://www.pyglet.org/

Twisted might be fine for the "online multiplayer" parts, but really if
you want a 2D/3D real-time game, start with a game framework.

Gary Herron

Thanks Cédric and Gary for the suggestions, I'm familiar with all of
those. So a good workflow for a graphical online game is to make the
game first and just plan for the incoming connections without knowing
how they will be done exactly? My only experience with networked games
is muds, where usually you do the opposite -- sockets first.