2k3 Server x64 setup question

Guest

Hi guys

I've been investigating a problem whereby one of our webapps uses a
different .NET version to most of the others.

Everything was fine, but we recently moved our web server stuff to a new
machine, which I discovered only afterwards runs Windows 2003 Server x64.

The problem is... the missing ASP.NET tab in IIS.

From what I've read, this "bug" won't be fixed. So the question is... how do
we enable different versions of the .NET Framework for different websites in
IIS on x64?!

I've read that many contradictory things - I'm a bit lost! Could someone
explain exactly what I need to do!?!

Thanks,

Dan

jacky kwok

musosdev said:
Hi guys

I've been investigating a problem whereby one of our webapps uses a
different .NET version to most of the others.

Everything was fine, but we recently moved our web server stuff to a new
machine, which I discovered only afterwards runs Windows 2003 Server x64.

The problem is... the missing ASP.NET tab in IIS.

From what I've read, this "bug" won't be fixed. So the question is... how do
we enable different versions of the .NET Framework for different websites in
IIS on x64?!

I've read that many contradictory things - I'm a bit lost! Could someone
explain exactly what I need to do!?!

Thanks,

The problem is because of that
in 64bit windows, the IIS ASPNET is running under 64bit mode by default.

In 64bit mode, there is only dotnet2 64 bit version. There is no 64 bit
Dotnet1.x. Hence, no any method you can select different dotnet version.

If you need to use dotnet1.x, you must switch the IIS ASPNET in 64 bit
windows running under 32bit mode.
Refer "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894435".

After switch to 32bit mode, you can install the dotnet1.x and you can
see the tab you want.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dan,

Besides the KB mentioned by Jacky, there's also another KB useful here:

#The "ASP.NET" tab of IIS Manager does not appear when you retrieve the
properties for a virtual directory in IIS Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919283

This means when IIS is running under 32-bit, the ASP.NET tab is not
available. To switch different asp.net version for different websites, you
can either use aspnet_regiis -s, or you can use a free tool named ASP.NET
Version Switcher to do it for you:

http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Guest

Thanks everyone,

Got this sorted in 1 session with the information provided, so thanks very
much!