2nd CFV: comp.databases.etl

Discussion in 'XML' started by Cara, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Cara

    Cara Guest

    2nd CFV: comp.databases.etl
    Attention, all data warehouse folks! There is a Call For Votes
    for a new newsgroup about ETL issues. If you are interested, please
    vote YES by December 12, 2003. Contact me with any questions at

    LAST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
    unmoderated group comp.databases.etl

    Newsgroups line:
    comp.databases.etl Extraction, transformation, loading issues.

    Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 12 Dec 2003.

    This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party. Questions
    about the proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

    Proponent: Cara Altman <>
    Votetaker: David E. Smith <>

    RATIONALE: comp.databases.etl

    This newsgroup will be for the discussion of topics related
    to ETL: the extraction, transfer, and loading of data from one
    database to another database. ETL is a known acronym to people who
    work with databases. It is used to represent the acquisition,
    integration used and mobility of data between systems and
    organizations. This newsgroup will be a central source for ETL
    usenet users to go to when they face a difficult ETL challenge
    and wish to obtain independent feedback.

    This newsgroup will be useful to those involved in the complex
    task of implementing data warehousing, customer relationship
    management (CRM), business intelligence (BI) and other data-
    centric projects. The newsgroup comp.databases touch on ETL
    issues, but these messages are scattered. When searching for
    ETL messages, postings were discovered in numerous newsgroups:

    comp.databases
    comp.databases.ibm-db2
    comp.databases.sybase
    comp.databases.oracle.tools
    comp.databases.oracle.server
    comp.databases.oracle.misc
    comp.databases.oracle.tools
    comp.databases.oracle.server
    comp.databases.olap
    comp.infosystems.www.databases
    comp.infosystems.intranet
    comp.text.xml
    comp.infosystems.search
    comp.realtime
    comp.databases.informix
    comp.soft-sys.khoros
    comp.sys.hp.mpe
    microsoft.public.sqlserver.datawarehouse
    microsoft.public.oledb.olap
    microsoft.public.oledb.olap

    This is not a complete list. There were so many messages to pour
    through, and the end of the search list seemed very far away. A
    commonly repeated question found was "Why use ETL tools?
    Which ones are good?"

    There are many complex issues surrounding the purchase or
    development of an ETL tool. Cost, schedule, and effectiveness
    are probably the most common. This forum will aid those who are
    weighing their options about whether to build or buy. It will
    give users a place to express their opinions on what factors to
    consider when implementing an ETL solution, and what ETL tools
    best suit specific ETL needs. Additionally, the ETL knowledgebase
    can be expanded through the creation of its own forum.

    CHARTER: comp.databases.etl

    This forum provides a place for people to discuss ETL (extraction,
    transformation, and loading) architectures. Participants can
    correspond regardless of the type of project on which they are
    focused. Information can be exchanged on evaluations of COTS
    (Commercial Off The Shelf Software) ETL tools, as well as the
    scope of developing custom ETL solutions. The term ETL has an
    industry track record of better than five years, and is commonly
    known in the RDBMS (relational database management system) market.

    This newsgroup provides an easy-to-find source for ETL users to go
    when they face a difficult ETL challenge and wish to obtain
    independent feedback.

    Commercial postings are discouraged. However, ETL tool vendors
    and solutions companies are welcome to add their opinions and
    to post answers or clarifications to discussions.

    Sample topics for discussion include:

    Data quality assessment/resolution
    Complex transformation templates
    Load balancing/management
    Data mapping
    XML support
    Error management
    Tool evaluation
    Custom solutions
    Technology tips & tricks

    END CHARTER.

    IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES: READ THIS BEFORE VOTING

    The purpose of a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest in
    reading the proposed newsgroup, and soliciting votes from uninterested
    parties defeats this purpose. Do *not* distribute this CFV; instead,
    direct people to the official CFV as posted to news.announce.newgroups.
    Distributing specific voting instructions or pre-marked copies of
    this CFV is considered vote fraud.

    This is a public vote: All email addresses, names and votes will be
    listed in the final RESULT post. The name used may be either a real
    name or an established Usenet handle.

    At most one vote is allowed per person or per account. Duplicate
    votes will be resolved in favor of the most recent valid vote.

    Voters must mail their ballots directly to the votetaker. Anonymous,
    forwarded, or proxy votes are not valid, nor are votes mailed from
    WWW/HTML/CGI forms (which should not exist). Votes from nonexistent
    accounts or with munged, spam-blocked, or undeliverable addresses are
    invalid and will NOT be counted. Votes sent from addresses with a
    challenge-response system in place will not be counted if the votetaker
    receives a "challenge" message.

    Please direct any questions to the votetaker at <>

    HOW TO VOTE:

    Extract the ballot from the CFV by deleting everything before and after
    the "BEGINNING OF BALLOT" and "END OF BALLOT" lines. Don't worry about
    the spacing of the columns or any quote characters (">") that your
    reply inserts. Please, DO NOT send the entire CFV back to me!

    Fill in the ballot as shown below. Please provide your real name
    (or established Usenet handle) and indicate your desired vote in the
    appropriate locations inside the ballot.

    Examples of how to properly indicate your vote:

    [ YES ] example.yes.vote
    [ NO ] example.no.vote
    [ ABSTAIN ] example.abstention
    [ CANCEL ] example.cancellation

    DO NOT modify, alter or delete any information in this ballot!
    If you do, the voting software will probably reject your ballot.

    When finished, MAIL the vote to <>
    Just "replying" to this message should work, but check the "To:" line.
    Votes mailed to any other email address, including that of the votetaker,
    will NOT be counted.

    If you do not receive an acknowledgment of your vote within three
    days contact the votetaker about the problem. You are responsible
    for reading your ack and making sure your vote is registered correctly.

    If these instructions are unclear, please consult the Introduction to
    Usenet Voting or the Usenet Voting FAQ at http://www.stanford.edu/~neilc/uvv.

    ======== BEGINNING OF BALLOT: Delete everything before this line =======
    ..-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Please provide your real name, or your vote may be rejected. Established
    | Usenet handles are also acceptable. Place ONLY your name (ie. do NOT
    | include your e-mail address or any other information; ONLY your name)
    | after the colon on the following line:

    Voter Name:

    | Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
    | newsgroup listed below (do not delete the newsgroup name):

    Your Vote Newsgroup
    [ ] comp.databases.etl

    ======== END OF BALLOT: Delete everything after this line ==============

    Cara, Dec 4, 2003