2nd Post: VB Master-Details Edit (Separate Pages), Response Redirect to Master Page Databinding Issu

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Sam, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Attached I am sending 2 URL's from MSFT ASP.net Quick Start
    Tutorial Web Site.

    1) Run it URL:
    http://www.asp.net/QuickStart/aspnet/samples/data/GridViewMasterDetai...

    http://www.asp.net/QuickStart/util/srcview.aspx?path=~/aspnet/samples...

    I do understand from the Master Page
    (GridViewMasterDetailsInsertPage_vb.aspx) the last field from Gridview1

    (Hyper Link field) is calling (DetailsViewEdit_vb.aspx) with
    DataNavigateUrlFields="au_id". Also the Gridview1's SqlDataSource
    ID="SqlDataSource1" and it's SelectCommand="SELECT [au_id], [au_lname],

    [au_fname], [state] FROM [authors] WHERE ([state] = @state)". I
    understand the logic Perfectly.

    Also in (DetailsViewEdit_vb.aspx) its SqlDataSource
    ID="SqlDataSource3" SelectCommand="SELECT [au_id], [au_lname],
    [au_fname], [phone], [address], [city], [state], [zip], [contract] FROM

    [authors] WHERE ([au_id] = @au_id)".
    It's <SelectParameters>
    <asp:QueryStringParameter Name="au_id" QueryStringField="ID"
    Type="String" />
    </SelectParameters>
    That is, the value QueryStringParameter Name is coming from Master Page

    (GridViewMasterDetailsInsertPage_vb.aspx).
    I do understand this logic also.

    However after Update or Cancel from (DetailsViewEdit_vb.aspx), it is
    returning to Master Page by using
    Response.Redirect("GridViewMasterDetailsInsertPage_vb.aspx").
    I do understand this logic too.

    My intention is this:
    for Example, in (GridViewMasterDetailsInsertPage_vb.aspx) in
    DropDownList1 user selects State = "NY", Gridview1 filters only shows
    records from "NY", they click 'Edit' button to invoke
    (DetailsViewEdit_vb.aspx).

    I would like to see that after they select
    'Update' or 'Cancel' from Detail page, Master Page
    (GridViewMasterDetailsInsertPage_vb.aspx) Gridview1 should show only
    records from State = "NY". Because this is the Orginial selection prior

    to calling (DetailsViewEdit_vb.aspx). If so, what will be the Command
    or Commands and where they will be issued? Master or Detail Page?
    Currently Gridview1 is showing null in Master Page after response
    redirect from Detail Page.

    In Summary I would like to see after response redirect from Detail
    Page, Master Page Dropdown list and Gridview1 should not be Null. It
    should have the same values prior to calling Detail Page..

    I admit I am new to Asp.Net but I must need to start somewhere. Any
    Help
    will be sincerely appreciated...

    Regards

    Sam, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Sorry My Mistake, The URL Addresses were not Correct in Earlier Posts.
    Here are the correct URL's:

    1) Run It URL is here:

    http://www.asp.net/QuickStart/aspnet/samples/data/GridViewMasterDetailsInsertPage_vb.aspx

    Master Page: