3.5 Deployment Question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DCW, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. DCW

    DCW Guest

    Hello all:

    I've got a 2K3 R2 web server with an ASP.NET site, a few different web
    services and a few Http endpoints running under ASP.NET 2.0. In our
    development environment, everything is running under .NET 3.5. Back in
    development, we've converted all the production pieces to 3.5 and now it is
    time to deploy.

    My question is: What, besides targeting the 3.5 framework for each
    application and publishing, should be done to ensure a smooth deployment?
    Here's a little back story. The live ASP.NET site (currently in 2.0) uses
    the ajax extensions toolkit so I'd imagine I'll have to upgrade that to the
    3.5 build. Also, in order to run under SSL, the ASP.NET site also contains
    the web service applications as directories deployed to the server in the
    ASP.NET site's path. All of these web services have already been converted
    (in development) and are ready to go as well.

    I know that the IIS snap-in tool doesn't give an option for 3.5 and this
    makes sense as the 3.0/3.5 framework is an extension of the 2.0 framework,
    but is there any known 'gotchas' to be aware of?

    Thanks all!

    DCW, Feb 19, 2008

  2. We recently upgraded with about the same scenarios as you... and it went
    without any issues. We reproduced all of our existing applications in a
    ..NET 3.5 environment prior to "flipping the switch"--but you never know on
    the production servers. =)

    We had several standing applications targeting .NET 2.0--they didn't change
    at all and, after a few months now, have had no issues. Our 3.5 applications,
    after the RTW of 3.5 was installed, published without any trouble aside the
    existing applications. All of our production servers are now running the
    3.5 framework and are working great.

    You are correct--3.0/3.5 are simply additions to the framework... you're
    still, essentially, hitting the .NET 2.0 framework (if you look at %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework,
    you'll see 3.0 and 3.5 folders, but the aspnet utilities still reside in
    2.0).

    Good luck with your upgrade!

    -dl

    --
    David R. Longnecker
    http://blog.tiredstudent.com

    David R. Longnecker, Feb 19, 2008

  3. DCW

    DCW Guest

    Thanks David ... good to know it worked out well for you and hope I have the
    same luck!

    DCW, Feb 20, 2008