3 frames

Discussion in 'HTML' started by S. Schnell, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. S. Schnell

    S. Schnell Guest

    Hi, okay, first of all I confess that I am a total newbie, learning HTML
    with self html.
    The problem, I've got by now, is that I want to create a page with 3
    frames, like self-html shows this here:
    http://selfhtml.teamone.de/html/frames/frameset4.gif

    So here is what I wrote:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <head>
    <title>Text des universellen Titels</title>
    </head>
    <frameset cols="30%,70%">
    <frame src="verweise2.html" name="Navigation">
    <frameset rows="20%,80%">
    <frame src="startseite.html" name="Daten">
    <frame scr="verweise.html" name="2">
    <noframes>
    nischt
    </noframes>
    </frameset>
    <noframes>
    Ihr Browser kann diese Seite leider nicht anzeigen!
    </noframes>

    </frameset>

    (german, as you realize ^^)
    okay, all three pages (startseite, verweise, verweise2) are existing, but I
    won't see the content of one frame, including the content of verweise.html
    I don't see the problem, could somebody please help me?
    thanks,
    Susan
    S. Schnell, Jul 19, 2003

  2. S. Schnell

    S. Schnell Guest

    > Do not use frames. They are obsolete and evil. Search
    > http://groups.google.com for "frames are evil" for the full report :)

    hrhr, okay, that's great, I'm sooo evil too... really =P~~

    > > with self html.

    > Er, what is that?

    Oops, I thought everyone'd know about that, it's an online lesson, that
    teachs the use of HTML...(maybe it's only a german thing, dunno)
    But in my case, it lacks some informations... ;)

    So, I'd still like to try with those frames and would be really happy 'bout
    any tips
    Thanks
    and so long,
    Susan
    S. Schnell, Jul 19, 2003

  3. [Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:52:17 +0200/S. Schnell]
    > Hi, okay, first of all I confess that I am a total newbie, learning HTML
    > with self html.
    > The problem, I've got by now, is that I want to create a page with 3
    > frames, like self-html shows this here:
    > http://selfhtml.teamone.de/html/frames/frameset4.gif
    >
    > So here is what I wrote:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    > <head>
    > <title>Text des universellen Titels</title>
    > </head>
    > <frameset cols="30%,70%">
    > <frame src="verweise2.html" name="Navigation">
    > <frameset rows="20%,80%">

    > <frame src="startseite.html" name="Daten">
    > <frame scr="verweise.html" name="2">

    ^^^

    grĂ¼
    michael
    Michael Weber, Jul 19, 2003
  4. S. Schnell

    Chris Beall Guest

    "S. Schnell" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, okay, first of all I confess that I am a total newbie, learning

    HTML
    > with self html.
    > The problem, I've got by now, is that I want to create a page with 3
    > frames, like self-html shows this here:
    > http://selfhtml.teamone.de/html/frames/frameset4.gif
    >
    > So here is what I wrote:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    > <head>
    > <title>Text des universellen Titels</title>
    > </head>
    > <frameset cols="30%,70%">
    > <frame src="verweise2.html" name="Navigation">
    > <frameset rows="20%,80%">
    > <frame src="startseite.html" name="Daten">
    > <frame scr="verweise.html" name="2">
    > <noframes>
    > nischt
    > </noframes>
    > </frameset>
    > <noframes>
    > Ihr Browser kann diese Seite leider nicht anzeigen!
    > </noframes>
    >
    > </frameset>
    >
    > (german, as you realize ^^)
    > okay, all three pages (startseite, verweise, verweise2) are existing,

    but I
    > won't see the content of one frame, including the content of

    verweise.html
    > I don't see the problem, could somebody please help me?
    > thanks,
    > Susan

    Susan,

    Your problem is that on the frame with name="2" you have specified scr=
    instead of src=.

    BUT, if you want to really learn, you should understand that what is
    POSSIBLE with HTML is different from what is WISE. 'Frames are evil'
    may be an oversimplification, but you should follow the advice of
    Richard ('rf) and read up a bit on why frames are discouraged by most
    web designers for most applications. It is tempting to think "I'll
    learn the techniques later", but once you have developed a bad habit it
    is hard to get rid of it. An any habit that you develop without
    understanding its consequences is Bad.

    Regards,
    Chris Beall
    Chris Beall, Jul 19, 2003
  5. S. Schnell

    Richard Guest

    <!-- Generated by AceHTML Freeware http://freeware.acehtml.com -->
    <!-- Creation date: 7/20/2003 -->
    <head>
    <title></title>
    </head>
    <frameset cols="17%,*" framespacing="2" border="8" frameborder="yes"
    bordercolor="#ffffff">
    <frame name="test1html" src="test1.html">
    <frameset rows="29%,*" framespacing="2" border="8" frameborder="yes"
    bordercolor="#ffffff">
    <frame name="test2html" src="test2.html">
    <frame name="test3html" src="test3.html">
    </frameset>
    <noframes>

    </noframes>
    </frameset>

    test1.html>>>>left frame or menu frame.
    test2.html>>>>banner frame.
    test3.html>>>>body frame.

    do yourself a favor and visit the website for the free editor.
    has a ton of goodies that wil help a newbee understand the coding.

    notice in this version that the "name" comes before the "src" attribute?
    could be the reason.
    Richard, Jul 20, 2003
  6. 4 frames

    Hi Susan, I am working with a 4 frames page and cannot see 3 of the frames
    (the words "src" are well spelled in my case). If you learn anything about
    those "evil" frames, would you tell me please?

    Thanks a lot.

    Marie-Perle
    www.mpmultimedia.ca

    MP Multimedia, Jul 20, 2003