3 questions

MLC

Hi,
I've been lurking here since some weeks and I've learnt a lot from the
regulars' advices.
I'm working by hand on my first web pages, using only CSS for the visual
presentation and HTML for the content, no frames, no flash animations, no
unuseful tables, and taking care of accessibility.
Now I need to better know some things:

1) I've read from you that you don't like that the author changes the
font-size of the body; is it so wrong if I use a font-size: 0.9em; ?
I have font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; and with the
normal font-size I find the characters too big. I need Verdana because with
the other fonts the point in the regular expressions is quite invisibile.

2) I've tested the pages in MozillaFirebird 0.7, Opera7, IE6 and Netscape
7.1. Why in IE6, and only there, if I hover on a link in the content div,
that line and that above shift a bit to the left? Is there anything I can
do to avoid this bad effect? It makes me crazy!

3) I use a simple script to show the last update in the bottom right of
every page, with the property document.lastModified. I've noticed that
Firebird instead shows the current date, and Opera shows 1/Gen/1970.
Are they a known issue? Is there a work around?
(note that today all the browsers show the current date because I've
updated all them this morning)

The address is: http://fido.altervista.org/
the css is: http://fido.altervista.org/my.css
the JavaScript is: http://fido.altervista.org/update.js

Thank you very much!

Steve Pugh

1) I've read from you that you don't like that the author changes the
font-size of the body; is it so wrong if I use a font-size: 0.9em; ?
I have font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; and with the
normal font-size I find the characters too big. I need Verdana because with
the other fonts the point in the regular expressions is quite invisibile.

So Verdana is too big for ordinary text and everything else is too
small for the regular expressions?

Your 'solution' is certain to cause problems for anyone who doesn't
have Verdana installed. They'll get another font in a smaller than
average size - what's that going to do to the regular expressions?

I would mark up the regular expressions with <code> ... </code>
elements and use CSS to make the text in those elements larger and/or
a different font. Then leave the bulk of the text at the standard
size.
2) I've tested the pages in MozillaFirebird 0.7, Opera7, IE6 and Netscape
7.1. Why in IE6, and only there, if I hover on a link in the content div,
that line and that above shift a bit to the left? Is there anything I can
do to avoid this bad effect? It makes me crazy!

Yeah, I had that bug crop up on one of my pages as well. It went away
when I changed the :hover style to remove the change in background
colour. I'm not sure exactly what combination of styles triggers it as
it doesn't affect all sites.
3) I use a simple script to show the last update in the bottom right of
every page, with the property document.lastModified. I've noticed that
Firebird instead shows the current date, and Opera shows 1/Gen/1970.
Are they a known issue? Is there a work around?
(note that today all the browsers show the current date because I've
updated all them this morning)

First of all what are those HTML comments dong inside you .JS file?
They were needed inside <script> elements back in the day when
browsers that didn't know what a <script> element was were in common
use, but today even browsers that don't do JavaScript know not to
display the contents of a <script> element. And they have never been
needed inside external .JS files, indeed having them their causes
problems in Opera.

Beyond it's hard to tell what the exact problem is. It may be that
your server isn't sending the last modified date of the file. Certainy
Mozilla gave the last modified date as the time when I requested the
file, so unless you were making updates at that precise moment...

Steve

MLC

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:59:36 +0000
Steve Pugh ha scritto:
1) I've read from you that you don't like that the author changes the
font-size of the body; is it so wrong if I use a font-size: 0.9em; ?
I have font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; and with the
normal font-size I find the characters too big. I need Verdana because with
the other fonts the point in the regular expressions is quite invisibile.
[...]

I would mark up the regular expressions with <code> ... </code>
elements and use CSS to make the text in those elements larger and/or
a different font. Then leave the bulk of the text at the standard
size.

Good idea. I'll do it.

Yeah, I had that bug crop up on one of my pages as well. It went away
when I changed the :hover style to remove the change in background
colour. I'm not sure exactly what combination of styles triggers it as
it doesn't affect all sites.

Thank you!!! I've removed the :hover and now it's OK.
First of all what are those HTML comments dong inside you .JS file?
They were needed inside <script> elements back in the day when
browsers that didn't know what a <script> element was were in common
use, but today even browsers that don't do JavaScript know not to
display the contents of a <script> element. And they have never been
needed inside external .JS files, indeed having them their causes
problems in Opera.

Removed them too, but Opera still shows 1/Gen/1970.
Beyond it's hard to tell what the exact problem is. It may be that
your server isn't sending the last modified date of the file. Certainy
Mozilla gave the last modified date as the time when I requested the
file, so unless you were making updates at that precise moment...

Other browsers give it correctly, so I don't think it is a problem of the
server.

Thank you again for your help and for your time!

Steve Pugh

MLC said:
Steve Pugh ha scritto:

Removed them too, but Opera still shows 1/Gen/1970.

Odd. It doesn't for me when I view the pages locally or when I upload
a copy to my server - http://steve.pugh.net/test/date.html

This is Opera 7.21 on WinXP.

I'll check again tomorrow to see what's happening in Firebird, etc. Is
there a page you know you won't be updating over the next 24 hours?

Steve

MLC

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:26:45 +0000
Steve Pugh ha scritto:
Odd. It doesn't for me when I view the pages locally or when I upload
a copy to my server - http://steve.pugh.net/test/date.html

This is Opera 7.21 on WinXP. Me too, exactly.

I'll check again tomorrow to see what's happening in Firebird, etc. Is
there a page you know you won't be updating over the next 24 hours?
I surely won't update the home page.
Thank you again.

MLC

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:52:57 +0100
MLC ha scritto:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:26:45 +0000
Steve Pugh ha scritto:
I surely won't update the home page.
Thank you again.

Hi Steve,
this morning I see that _all_ those browsers show today as the last update
(except Opera with 1 Gen 1970), even if I didn't change anything in the
pages since yesterday.
Then I think it is really a server issue and, if there aren't other
solutions, I'll remove that script eventually.

Toby A Inkster

Steve said:
I would mark up the regular expressions with <code> ... </code>
elements and use CSS to make the text in those elements larger and/or
a different font.

I find "font-weight:bold" works nicely to get stops to display nicely in a
monospaced font.