3 questions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by MLC, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. MLC

    MLC Guest

    Hi,
    I've been lurking here since some weeks and I've learnt a lot from the
    regulars' advices.
    I'm working by hand on my first web pages, using only CSS for the visual
    presentation and HTML for the content, no frames, no flash animations, no
    unuseful tables, and taking care of accessibility.
    Now I need to better know some things:

    1) I've read from you that you don't like that the author changes the
    font-size of the body; is it so wrong if I use a font-size: 0.9em; ?
    I have font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; and with the
    normal font-size I find the characters too big. I need Verdana because with
    the other fonts the point in the regular expressions is quite invisibile.

    2) I've tested the pages in MozillaFirebird 0.7, Opera7, IE6 and Netscape
    7.1. Why in IE6, and only there, if I hover on a link in the content div,
    that line and that above shift a bit to the left? Is there anything I can
    do to avoid this bad effect? It makes me crazy!

    3) I use a simple script to show the last update in the bottom right of
    every page, with the property document.lastModified. I've noticed that
    Firebird instead shows the current date, and Opera shows 1/Gen/1970.
    Are they a known issue? Is there a work around?
    (note that today all the browsers show the current date because I've
    updated all them this morning)

    The address is: http://fido.altervista.org/
    the css is: http://fido.altervista.org/my.css
    the JavaScript is: http://fido.altervista.org/update.js

    Thank you very much!
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 18/11/2003 13.30.45, here.
    un tutorial sulle Espressioni Regolari:

    MLC, Nov 18, 2003

  2. MLC

    Steve Pugh Guest

    MLC <> wrote:

    > The address is: http://fido.altervista.org/
    > the css is: http://fido.altervista.org/my.css
    > the JavaScript is: http://fido.altervista.org/update.js

    >1) I've read from you that you don't like that the author changes the
    >font-size of the body; is it so wrong if I use a font-size: 0.9em; ?
    >I have font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; and with the
    >normal font-size I find the characters too big. I need Verdana because with
    >the other fonts the point in the regular expressions is quite invisibile.

    So Verdana is too big for ordinary text and everything else is too
    small for the regular expressions?

    Your 'solution' is certain to cause problems for anyone who doesn't
    have Verdana installed. They'll get another font in a smaller than
    average size - what's that going to do to the regular expressions?

    I would mark up the regular expressions with <code> ... </code>
    elements and use CSS to make the text in those elements larger and/or
    a different font. Then leave the bulk of the text at the standard
    size.

    >2) I've tested the pages in MozillaFirebird 0.7, Opera7, IE6 and Netscape
    >7.1. Why in IE6, and only there, if I hover on a link in the content div,
    >that line and that above shift a bit to the left? Is there anything I can
    >do to avoid this bad effect? It makes me crazy!

    Yeah, I had that bug crop up on one of my pages as well. It went away
    when I changed the :hover style to remove the change in background
    colour. I'm not sure exactly what combination of styles triggers it as
    it doesn't affect all sites.

    >3) I use a simple script to show the last update in the bottom right of
    >every page, with the property document.lastModified. I've noticed that
    >Firebird instead shows the current date, and Opera shows 1/Gen/1970.
    >Are they a known issue? Is there a work around?
    >(note that today all the browsers show the current date because I've
    >updated all them this morning)

    First of all what are those HTML comments dong inside you .JS file?
    They were needed inside <script> elements back in the day when
    browsers that didn't know what a <script> element was were in common
    use, but today even browsers that don't do JavaScript know not to
    display the contents of a <script> element. And they have never been
    needed inside external .JS files, indeed having them their causes
    problems in Opera.

    Beyond it's hard to tell what the exact problem is. It may be that
    your server isn't sending the last modified date of the file. Certainy
    Mozilla gave the last modified date as the time when I requested the
    file, so unless you were making updates at that precise moment...

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Nov 18, 2003

  3. MLC

    MLC Guest

    Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:59:36 +0000
    Steve Pugh ha scritto:

    > MLC <> wrote:
    >

    >>1) I've read from you that you don't like that the author changes the
    >>font-size of the body; is it so wrong if I use a font-size: 0.9em; ?
    >>I have font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; and with the
    >>normal font-size I find the characters too big. I need Verdana because with
    >>the other fonts the point in the regular expressions is quite invisibile.

    [...]
    > I would mark up the regular expressions with <code> ... </code>
    > elements and use CSS to make the text in those elements larger and/or
    > a different font. Then leave the bulk of the text at the standard
    > size.

    Good idea. I'll do it.

    >>2) I've tested the pages in MozillaFirebird 0.7, Opera7, IE6 and Netscape
    >>7.1. Why in IE6, and only there, if I hover on a link in the content div,
    >>that line and that above shift a bit to the left? Is there anything I can
    >>do to avoid this bad effect? It makes me crazy!

    > Yeah, I had that bug crop up on one of my pages as well. It went away
    > when I changed the :hover style to remove the change in background
    > colour. I'm not sure exactly what combination of styles triggers it as
    > it doesn't affect all sites.

    Thank you!!! I've removed the :hover and now it's OK.

    >>3) I use a simple script to show the last update in the bottom right of
    >>every page, with the property document.lastModified. I've noticed that
    >>Firebird instead shows the current date, and Opera shows 1/Gen/1970.
    >>Are they a known issue? Is there a work around?
    >>(note that today all the browsers show the current date because I've
    >>updated all them this morning)

    > First of all what are those HTML comments dong inside you .JS file?
    > They were needed inside <script> elements back in the day when
    > browsers that didn't know what a <script> element was were in common
    > use, but today even browsers that don't do JavaScript know not to
    > display the contents of a <script> element. And they have never been
    > needed inside external .JS files, indeed having them their causes
    > problems in Opera.

    Removed them too, but Opera still shows 1/Gen/1970.

    > Beyond it's hard to tell what the exact problem is. It may be that
    > your server isn't sending the last modified date of the file. Certainy
    > Mozilla gave the last modified date as the time when I requested the
    > file, so unless you were making updates at that precise moment...

    Other browsers give it correctly, so I don't think it is a problem of the
    server.

    Thank you again for your help and for your time!
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 18/11/2003 16.13.57, here.

    MLC, Nov 18, 2003
  4. MLC

    Steve Pugh Guest

    MLC <> wrote:
    > Steve Pugh ha scritto:
    >> MLC <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>3) I use a simple script to show the last update in the bottom right of
    >>>every page, with the property document.lastModified. I've noticed that
    >>>Firebird instead shows the current date, and Opera shows 1/Gen/1970.
    >>>Are they a known issue? Is there a work around?
    >>>(note that today all the browsers show the current date because I've
    >>>updated all them this morning)

    >> First of all what are those HTML comments dong inside you .JS file?
    >> They were needed inside <script> elements back in the day when
    >> browsers that didn't know what a <script> element was were in common
    >> use, but today even browsers that don't do JavaScript know not to
    >> display the contents of a <script> element. And they have never been
    >> needed inside external .JS files, indeed having them their causes
    >> problems in Opera.

    >Removed them too, but Opera still shows 1/Gen/1970.

    Odd. It doesn't for me when I view the pages locally or when I upload
    a copy to my server - http://steve.pugh.net/test/date.html

    This is Opera 7.21 on WinXP.

    I'll check again tomorrow to see what's happening in Firebird, etc. Is
    there a page you know you won't be updating over the next 24 hours?

    Steve Pugh, Nov 18, 2003
  5. MLC

    MLC Guest

    Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:26:45 +0000
    Steve Pugh ha scritto:

    > Odd. It doesn't for me when I view the pages locally or when I upload
    > a copy to my server - http://steve.pugh.net/test/date.html
    >
    > This is Opera 7.21 on WinXP.

    Me too, exactly.

    > I'll check again tomorrow to see what's happening in Firebird, etc. Is
    > there a page you know you won't be updating over the next 24 hours?

    I surely won't update the home page.
    Thank you again.
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 18/11/2003 18.50.01, here.

    MLC, Nov 18, 2003
  6. MLC

    MLC Guest

    Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:52:57 +0100
    MLC ha scritto:

    > Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:26:45 +0000
    > Steve Pugh ha scritto:
    >>
    >> Odd. It doesn't for me when I view the pages locally or when I upload
    >> a copy to my server - http://steve.pugh.net/test/date.html
    >>
    >> This is Opera 7.21 on WinXP.

    > Me too, exactly.
    >>
    >> I'll check again tomorrow to see what's happening in Firebird, etc. Is
    >> there a page you know you won't be updating over the next 24 hours?

    > I surely won't update the home page.
    > Thank you again.

    Hi Steve,
    this morning I see that _all_ those browsers show today as the last update
    (except Opera with 1 Gen 1970), even if I didn't change anything in the
    pages since yesterday.
    Then I think it is really a server issue and, if there aren't other
    solutions, I'll remove that script eventually.
    --
    Maria Luisa C - 19/11/2003 8.52.56, here.

    MLC, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Steve Pugh wrote:

    > I would mark up the regular expressions with <code> ... </code>
    > elements and use CSS to make the text in those elements larger and/or
    > a different font.

    I find "font-weight:bold" works nicely to get stops to display nicely in a
    monospaced font.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 19, 2003