    pan left or right, autoplay and pause, while showing only a narrower
    rectangular "normal size" image segment at any one time. Panning, auto pan
    and pause may be done with control buttons below the image for example.

    Tuxedo, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Tuxedo

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    In article <f44kfg$eea$00$-online.com>,
    Tuxedo <> wrote:

    > Has anyone seen a 360° panorama javascript image display anywhere?

    I haven't seen anything, but in hacking up a demo my guess is that the
    main reason you don't see it done much is because a simple pan doesn't
    do any correction for perspective.

    --
    My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
    heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org

    Doc O'Leary, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Doc O'Leary wrote:

    > In article <f44kfg$eea$00$-online.com>,
    > Tuxedo <> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone seen a 360° panorama javascript image display anywhere?

    > I haven't seen anything, but in hacking up a demo my guess is that the
    > main reason you don't see it done much is because a simple pan doesn't
    > do any correction for perspective.

    Thanks for the reply. Did you hack up a demo?

    Tuxedo, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Tuxedo

    The Magpie Guest

    Tuxedo wrote:
    > Doc O'Leary wrote:
    >
    >> In article <f44kfg$eea$00$-online.com>,
    >> Tuxedo <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone seen a 360° panorama javascript image display anywhere?

    >> I haven't seen anything, but in hacking up a demo my guess is that the
    >> main reason you don't see it done much is because a simple pan doesn't
    >> do any correction for perspective.

    > Thanks for the reply. Did you hack up a demo?

    And - if you did - I'd be interested too. Don't care about perspective,
    because there won't be any, but I want to pan around (effectively) the
    six faces of a cube from the inside of it and show whichever bits of
    whatever faces are in the viewport.

    The Magpie, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Tuxedo

    rf Guest

    http://barefile.com.au/pan/ ?

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 7, 2007
  6. Tuxedo

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    In article <f47d4o$1c$1$>,
    The Magpie <> wrote:

    > Tuxedo wrote:
    > > Doc O'Leary wrote:

    > >> I haven't seen anything, but in hacking up a demo my guess is that the
    > >> main reason you don't see it done much is because a simple pan doesn't
    > >> do any correction for perspective.

    > > Thanks for the reply. Did you hack up a demo?
    > >

    > And - if you did - I'd be interested too.

    There's nothing really interesting to show. All I did was scratch the
    itch to verify that I could restrict an image view with CSS and change
    it with JavaScript events. Google Maps essentially does the same thing,
    and it's even easier to do a panorama because there is no XMLHttpRequest
    to deal with.

    Doc O'Leary, Jun 7, 2007
  7. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    rf wrote:

    > http://barefile.com.au/pan/ ?

    Thanks for the quick muck-up. There must exist a way for this to nicely
    work in CSS and Javascript. The type of panoramas I mean usually exist in
    platform dependent Java or some other exotic proprietary plug-in, which may
    cause a browser crash on the average speed PC, let alone work on Linux or
    OSX. Nevertheless, this is quite a nice Java example, which also does
    vertical panning:
    http://www.rundbild.com/de/beispiel/panorama/java-only/mit-karten/karte-grundriss.htm

    Tuxedo, Jun 8, 2007
  8. Tuxedo

    rf Guest

    "Tuxedo" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> http://barefile.com.au/pan/ ?

    > Thanks for the quick muck-up. There must exist a way for this to nicely
    > work in CSS and Javascript.

    Yes, there is. It's rather trivial to a button to start a timer to
    periodically change the scroll position of that div, or the *relative*
    position of the image within that div. Of course then overflow: hidden;
    would be appropriate.

    Here you go:
    http://barefile.com.au/pan/

    Of course you should not do this a home. You will drive your viewers nuts.

    > The type of panoramas I mean usually exist in
    > platform dependent Java or some other exotic proprietary plug-in, which
    > may

    Which is why I do not have java installed.

    > cause a browser crash on the average speed PC, let alone work on Linux or
    > OSX. Nevertheless, this is quite a nice Java example, which also does
    > vertical panning:
    > http://www.rundbild.com/de/beispiel/panorama/java-only/mit-karten/karte-grundriss.htm

    I see nothing there that is panning. But then I don't have jave installed,
    nor flash or all those other things.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 8, 2007
  9. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    rf wrote:

    > http://barefile.com.au/pan/

    That is totally cool, many thanks for posting this example!

    > Which is why I do not have java installed.

    Perhaps it will reincarnate, but for now Java embedded on a web page is and
    always has been a pretty stupid idea.

    > I see nothing there that is panning. But then I don't have jave installed,
    > nor flash or all those other things.

    I agree here too, although Flash has some good features, which
    unfortunately cannot be replicated with any open source alternatives.

    Tuxedo, Jun 8, 2007
  10. Bart Van der Donck, Jun 9, 2007
  11. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    Bart Van der Donck wrote:

    [..]

    > http://krolik.net/PIV.jsp

    It was something like this I had in mind, meaning that after all someone
    has made other more expensive and proprietary plug-in solutions obsolete. A
    commercial usage fee for Krolik's pano start as low as $10 USD.

    Tuxedo, Jun 9, 2007
  12. Tuxedo

    ASM Guest

    Tuxedo a écrit :
    > Bart Van der Donck wrote:
    >
    > [..]
    >
    >> http://krolik.net/PIV.jsp

    > It was something like this I had in mind, meaning that after all someone
    > has made other more expensive and proprietary plug-in solutions obsolete. A
    > commercial usage fee for Krolik's pano start as low as $10 USD.

    a little less elaborated :
    <http://stephane.moriaux.perso.orange.fr/internet/web_vrml/tests.htm>
    and on the table of proposed tests click on some JS icones

    to download (3 files) :
    <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/stephane.moriaux/internet/web_vrml/vr_pan_js/panorama_js.zip>

    ASM, Jun 10, 2007
  13. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    ASM wrote:

    > Tuxedo a écrit :
    > > Bart Van der Donck wrote:
    > >
    > > [..]
    > >
    > >> http://krolik.net/PIV.jsp

    > > It was something like this I had in mind, meaning that after all someone
    > > has made other more expensive and proprietary plug-in solutions
    > > obsolete. A commercial usage fee for Krolik's pano start as low as $10
    > > USD.

    > a little less elaborated :
    > <http://stephane.moriaux.perso.orange.fr/internet/web_vrml/tests.htm>
    > and on the table of proposed tests click on some JS icones
    >
    > to download (3 files) :

    <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/stephane.moriaux/internet/web_vrml/vr_pan_js/panorama_js.zip>

    Thanks for posting this interesting example! I was a bit lost at first how
    to use it, since the controls are in French. I tested the various online
    pano's and found the JS versions, as also in the zipped file, work great!

    Tuxedo, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Tuxedo

    ASM Guest

    Tuxedo a écrit :
    > ASM wrote:
    >
    > <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/stephane.moriaux/internet/web_vrml/vr_pan_js/panorama_js.zip>
    >
    > Thanks for posting this interesting example! I was a bit lost at first how
    > to use it, since the controls are in French.

    Sory! at the moment I made this toy I didn't speak foreign languages :)

    > found the JS versions, as also in the zipped file, work great!

    That seems to work in my NC4.5, IE 5.2 (Mac), FF 2, Safari 1.3, iCab 3,
    an Opera 9.0

    ASM, Jun 10, 2007
  15. Tuxedo

    ASM Guest

    Tuxedo a écrit :
    > ASM wrote:
    >
    >> a little less elaborated :
    >> <http://stephane.moriaux.perso.orange.fr/internet/web_vrml/tests.htm>
    >> and on the table of proposed tests click on some JS icones

    > Thanks for posting this interesting example! I was a bit lost at first how
    > to use it, since the controls are in French.

    Some of the tests are about the applet PTViewer
    If you're interested in 360° panoramas shoots, have a look here :
    http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm
    a spherical shoot made with a plastic door peephole !
    Result with applet PTViewer :
    http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/pont1.htm
    and see the site :
    http://www.animatif.com/

    In french ... but images don't need explanation

    ASM, Jun 10, 2007
  16. Tuxedo

    Tuxedo Guest

    ASM wrote:

    > Tuxedo a écrit :
    > > ASM wrote:
    > >
    > >> a little less elaborated :
    > >> <http://stephane.moriaux.perso.orange.fr/internet/web_vrml/tests.htm>
    > >> and on the table of proposed tests click on some JS icones

    > > Thanks for posting this interesting example! I was a bit lost at first
    > > how to use it, since the controls are in French.

    > Some of the tests are about the applet PTViewer
    > If you're interested in 360° panoramas shoots, have a look here :
    > http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm
    > a spherical shoot made with a plastic door peephole !
    > Result with applet PTViewer :
    > http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/pont1.htm
    > and see the site :
    > http://www.animatif.com/
    >
    > In french ... but images don't need explanation

    At the risk of getting OT I definitely like the plastic door peephole!

    Its an interesting site!

    Tuxedo, Jun 11, 2007