    <\Script>

    but it didnt work.

    Bye & Best Of Luck.

    hardik, Apr 18, 2006

  2. hardik

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "hardik" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > how i can set 3*3 array in javascript i have tried this but didnt work
    >
    > <Script>
    > var a[2][2][2]=new array()
    > <\Script>
    >

    > but it didnt work.

    var a = new Array();
    a[0]= new Array();
    a[0][5] = new Array;
    a[0][5][72]="<h3>Hello matey</h3>";
    document.writeln(a[0][5][72]);

    Hal Rosser, Apr 18, 2006

  3. hardik

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Hal Rosser" <> wrote in message

    > "hardik" <> wrote in message
    > > how i can set 3*3 array in javascript i have tried this but didnt work
    > >
    > > <Script>
    > > var a[2][2][2]=new array()
    > > <\Script>
    > >

    > > but it didnt work.
    > >

    > var a = new Array();
    > a[0]= new Array();
    > a[0][5] = new Array;
    > a[0][5][72]="<h3>Hello matey</h3>";
    > document.writeln(a[0][5][72]);

    You could loop through each array and declare new arrays for each element,
    also
    This is kinda clumsy - so I'm sure others will post a better solution.-
    where I will take notes.
    But the point is: its really an array of arrays [of arrays].... rather than
    a single multidimensional array.

    Hal Rosser, Apr 18, 2006
  4. hardik

    RobG Guest

    hardik said on 18/04/2006 2:34 PM AEST:
    > how i can set 3*3 array in javascript i have tried this but didnt work
    >
    > <Script>
    > var a[2][2][2]=new array()
    > <\Script>

    If you already had an array called 'a' with an array at index 2 and
    another array at that array's index 2, then you could create an array at
    index 2 of that last array.

    But you haven't, so you have a script error. Also, the built-in array
    object has a capital 'A' (to signify that you can use it as a
    constructor perhaps).

    To save on typing and potential typos, use an initialiser:

    var a = [];
    a[2] = [];
    a[2][2] = [];
    a[2][2][2] = [];

    A one dimension array 1x3:

    var a = ['A', 'B', 'C'];

    A two dimension array 2x3:

    var a = [
    ['A', 'B', 'C'],
    ['D', 'E', 'F']
    ];

    A three dimension array 2x3x3:

    var a = [
    [
    ['a','b','c'],
    ['d','d','f'],
    ['g','h','i']
    ],
    [
    ['j','k','l'],
    ['m','n','o'],
    ['p','q','r']
    ]
    ]

    alert( a[0][1][2] ); // shows f

    Keep going and it gets much harder to read...

    --
    Rob
    Group FAQ: <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/FAQ>

    RobG, Apr 18, 2006
  5. hardik

    VK Guest

    hardik wrote:
    > how i can set 3*3 array in javascript i have tried this but didnt work
    >
    > <Script>
    > var a[2][2][2]=new array()
    > <\Script>

    See the samples of 2D and 3D arrays emulation at
    <http://www.geocities.com/schools_ring/ArrayAndHash.html>

    :)

    VK, Apr 18, 2006
  6. hardik

    hardik Guest

    thank u friends

    hardik, Apr 18, 2006
  7. hardik

    Randy Webb Guest

    RobG said the following on 4/18/2006 1:57 AM:

    <snip>

    > A two dimension array 2x3:
    > var a = [
    > ['A', 'B', 'C'],
    > ['D', 'E', 'F']
    > ];

    I think that Rob knows, without reading further, what this post says but
    a is not a "two dimension array" as it is a simple array that has arrays
    as members. Javascript arrays are linear in fashion and as such you
    can't have multi-dimensional arrays.

    Sorry Rob, but I had to post for posterity sake :)

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Apr 18, 2006
  8. hardik

    RobG Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > RobG said the following on 4/18/2006 1:57 AM:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> A two dimension array 2x3:
    >> var a = [
    >> ['A', 'B', 'C'],
    >> ['D', 'E', 'F']
    >> ];

    > I think that Rob knows, without reading further, what this post says but
    > a is not a "two dimension array" as it is a simple array that has arrays
    > as members. Javascript arrays are linear in fashion and as such you
    > can't have multi-dimensional arrays.
    >
    > Sorry Rob, but I had to post for posterity sake :)

    That's fine. Others may say that a is a 2D array (matrix) that is
    constructed using 2 one-dimensional JavaScript Array objects. :)

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Apr 18, 2006
  9. hardik

    Randy Webb Guest

    RobG said the following on 4/18/2006 9:31 AM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >> RobG said the following on 4/18/2006 1:57 AM:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> A two dimension array 2x3:
    >>> var a = [
    >>> ['A', 'B', 'C'],
    >>> ['D', 'E', 'F']
    >>> ];

    >> I think that Rob knows, without reading further, what this post says
    >> but a is not a "two dimension array" as it is a simple array that has
    >> arrays as members. Javascript arrays are linear in fashion and as such
    >> you can't have multi-dimensional arrays.
    >>
    >> Sorry Rob, but I had to post for posterity sake :)

    > That's fine. Others may say that a is a 2D array (matrix) that is
    > constructed using 2 one-dimensional JavaScript Array objects. :)

    Tis true, but VK might say that "RobG says JS has a multi-dimensional
    array" <shudder> <g>

    --
    Randy
    Light humor is good for the soul every now and then.

    Randy Webb, Apr 18, 2006
  10. hardik

    VK Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > Tis true, but VK might say that "RobG says JS has a multi-dimensional
    > array" <shudder> <g>

    I believe in the JavaScript Array being Dynamic, Sparse, Jagged and
    now, and ever and forever!

    :-D

    P.S. Please, it is just a joke, not a call for discussion.

    VK, Apr 18, 2006
  11. hardik

    Randy Webb Guest

    VK said the following on 4/18/2006 1:37 PM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >> Tis true, but VK might say that "RobG says JS has a multi-dimensional
    >> array" <shudder> <g>

    > I believe in the JavaScript Array being Dynamic, Sparse, Jagged and
    > now, and ever and forever!

    <g>

    > :-D
    >
    > P.S. Please, it is just a joke, not a call for discussion.

    Surprisingly enough, I took it that way :)

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Apr 19, 2006