    separate button .. or effect.
    any idea, how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
    mouse events?

    sahilsk, Sep 10, 2010

  2. On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, sahilsk <> wrote:
    > hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
    > separate  button .. or effect.
    > any idea,  how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
    > mouse events?

    In what environment, what toolkit, for what purpose?

    Krister Svanlund, Sep 11, 2010

  3. sahilsk

    Phlip Guest

    On Sep 10, 12:10 pm, sahilsk <> wrote:
    > hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
    > separate  button .. or effect.
    > any idea,  how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
    > mouse events?

    omg

    If you have to ask, you probably are not ready for the answer!

    Is this a personal project, or are you satisfying a customer?

    If the latter, is it a desktop project, or a web project?

    If a web project, can you use a PNG of a rendered cube? Render it with
    PovRay (which is honestly a ton of fun to author in), then use <map>
    tags to define clicks on various faces.

    From here, the question arises WHY your client wants this. Must the
    cube rotate? Is it designed to be user hostile? Must the user rotate
    the cube to find the correct menu item?

    If you want to spend a couple weeks coding a nice learning project,
    you could do a rotating cube in HTML5 using the <canvas> control.
    Someone probably has an example out there, but efficient trigonometric
    matrix transformations in JavaScript are not for the faint of heart.

    If this is for the desktop, get a Python library that wraps something
    that wraps OpenGL or DirectX. Or just google for "python 3d cube".

    Have fun!

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Sep 11, 2010
  4. On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:09:00 +0200, Krister Svanlund wrote:

    > On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, sahilsk <> wrote:
    >> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
    >> separate  button .. or effect.
    >> any idea,  how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
    >> mouse events?

    > In what environment, what toolkit, for what purpose?

    What do you mean, "what environment"? Surely there's only one? The
    Original Poster obviously wants a 3D navigation cube for ksh under
    FreeBSD.

    *wink*

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Sep 11, 2010
  5. sahilsk

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 09/10/10 19:20, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:09:00 +0200, Krister Svanlund wrote:
    >> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM, sahilsk<> wrote:
    >>> hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
    >>> separate button .. or effect.

    >> In what environment, what toolkit, for what purpose?

    > What do you mean, "what environment"? Surely there's only one? The
    > Original Poster obviously wants a 3D navigation cube for ksh under
    > FreeBSD.

    Drat...all my work on a 3d navigation-cube working under ProDos
    on the Apple ][e for naught...what am I gonna do with all these
    360k 5.25" floppies now?!

    -tkc

    Tim Chase, Sep 11, 2010
  6. sahilsk

    rav Guest

    On Sep 10, 9:10 pm, sahilsk <> wrote:
    > hi, i need to make a 3d cube as a navigation menu.. each face having
    > separate  button .. or effect.
    > any idea,  how can i make one such 3D figures with functionality of
    > mouse events?

    One of options is AS3 and Papervision3D - free Flex SDK and many
    tutorials are available in the web.

    rav, Sep 11, 2010