    alimoe Guest

    I am interested in coding an app which uses physics and 3d and neural
    nets and genetics. Any pointers?

    alimoe, Jul 11, 2006

  2. alimoe

    placid Guest

    placid, Jul 11, 2006

  3. alimoe

    alimoe Guest

    > Genetic Programming or Genetic Algorithms?

    whats the difference?

    alimoe, Jul 11, 2006
  4. alimoe

    alimoe Guest

    alimoe, Jul 11, 2006
  5. alimoe

    placid Guest

    placid, Jul 11, 2006
  6. alimoe

    placid Guest

    placid, Jul 11, 2006
  7. alimoe

    Carl Banks Guest

    alimoe wrote:
    > I am interested in coding an app which uses physics and 3d and neural
    > nets and genetics. Any pointers?

    PyODE for the physics part.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jul 11, 2006
  8. alimoe wrote:

    >> Genetic Programming or Genetic Algorithms?

    > whats the difference?

    Genetic algorithms usually involve the manipulation of bit strings.
    Genetic programming usually involves more program-like constructs, such
    as Lisp s-expressions.

    Most men do not mature, they simply grow taller.
    -- Leo Rosten

    Erik Max Francis, Jul 11, 2006
  9. alimoe

    placid Guest

    Erik Max Francis wrote:
    > alimoe wrote:
    >
    > >> Genetic Programming or Genetic Algorithms?

    > > whats the difference?

    > Genetic algorithms usually involve the manipulation of bit strings.

    Where bit strings is the the "dna" and each bit in the string
    represents some value

    placid, Jul 11, 2006
  10. placid wrote:

    > alimoe wrote:
    >> > Genetic Programming or Genetic Algorithms?

    >> whats the difference?

    > Genetic Programming:
    > is an automated methodology inspired by biological evolution to find
    > computer programs that best perform a user-defined task.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Programming
    >
    > Genetic Algorithms: search technique used in computer science to find
    > approximate solutions to optimization and search problems.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithms

    I would tend to think that Lisp is more suited for Genetic Programming than
    Python is. However, it is possible to do. Heck, I even had the crazy idea
    of doing Genetic Programming in C++ once, however ugly that would've
    been!!!!!

    Actually, there is an AI project that I'm doing in Python rather than Lisp
    because Python is much better supported. A pity, really, since Lisp has so
    much more power and expressiveness. Alas, Python has extensive libraries
    and are well documented to boot. Only an academic would have the time to do
    anything with Lisp. :-(

    --
    -- Edmond Dantes, CMC
    And Now for something Completely Different:

    http://www.usenet.com

    Edmond Dantes, Jul 14, 2006
  11. alimoe

    placid Guest

    Edmond Dantes wrote:
    > placid wrote:

    > >> whats the difference?

    > > Genetic Programming:
    > > is an automated methodology inspired by biological evolution to find
    > > computer programs that best perform a user-defined task.
    > >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Programming
    > >
    > > Genetic Algorithms: search technique used in computer science to find
    > > approximate solutions to optimization and search problems.
    > >
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_algorithms

    > I would tend to think that Lisp is more suited for Genetic Programming than
    > Python is. However, it is possible to do. Heck, I even had the crazy idea
    > of doing Genetic Programming in C++ once, however ugly that would've
    > been!!!!!

    My university (RMIT) has a framework for doing Genetic Programming in
    C++ and it was really ugly at all.

    placid, Jul 14, 2006
  12. alimoe

    Carl Banks Guest

    Edmond Dantes wrote:
    > I would tend to think that Lisp is more suited for Genetic Programming than
    > Python is. However, it is possible to do. Heck, I even had the crazy idea
    > of doing Genetic Programming in C++ once, however ugly that would've
    > been!!!!!
    >
    > Actually, there is an AI project that I'm doing in Python rather than Lisp
    > because Python is much better supported. A pity, really, since Lisp has so
    > much more power and expressiveness. Alas, Python has extensive libraries
    > and are well documented to boot. Only an academic would have the time to do
    > anything with Lisp. :-(

    I'm not sure how important expressiveness is for GP. The number of
    operations on programs you have to support is quite small
    (recombination, mutation, duplication, anything else?), and any
    advantage LISP has in handling the tree structures is probably not all
    that important.

    Of course, the big advantage of LISP is the data/code equivalence. In
    LISP, you can just eval the programs, whereas in Python you have to
    expend quite a bit of effort running them. And that's no small thing.
    It's not too bad, though. I've done GP in Python myself, and I it was
    pretty straightforward to convert the program trees into expressions
    (to be evaled in Python, or compiled and executed in C or Fortran).

    But there's really no question that genetic programming is a problem
    tailor-made for LISP.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jul 14, 2006
  13. alimoe

    alimoe Guest

    placid wrote:
    > is this a real robot or a computer simulation?

    Just a sim, but the more I think about it, the more realism it seems
    like I need.

    Carl Banks wrote about PyODE. I thnk Soya or PySoy is integrating this
    soon, so I will be looking into that.

    thx

    alimoe, Jul 26, 2006
  14. alimoe enlightened us with:
    > I am interested in coding an app which uses physics and 3d and
    > neural nets and genetics. Any pointers?

    For the physics and 3D graphics you could check out Blender. It's a 3D
    modelling/animating program that's scriptable by Python.

    Sybren
    Frank Zappa

    Sybren Stuvel, Jul 26, 2006