3D with Ruby (Ogre ?)

Marc-antoine Kruzik

Hello, I'm french, sorry for my mistakes.

I would like to do 3D with Ruby.

I tried Ogre.rb, but this project requires a lot of other gems to be
installed, and there are still some files missing. Can't I just download
a ready-to-use sample ?
It's a lot of work to install all these files and I'm not even sure it
will be working at last.

So, I'm looking for the easiest way to use a 3D library with Ruby.
Not especially Ogre.rb, because I just want to do 3D with Ruby. Any 3D
library will be ok. :)

Jason Roelofs

Hello, I'm french, sorry for my mistakes.

I would like to do 3D with Ruby.

I tried Ogre.rb, but this project requires a lot of other gems to be
installed, and there are still some files missing. Can't I just download
a ready-to-use sample ?
It's a lot of work to install all these files and I'm not even sure it
will be working at last.

So, I'm looking for the easiest way to use a 3D library with Ruby.
Not especially Ogre.rb, because I just want to do 3D with Ruby. Any 3D
library will be ok. :)
Ogre.rb is not at all ready for use right now, but other than my work there
I don't know of any workable Ruby wrapper to a 3D engine.

If you're looking to just work with 3D yourself, there's always straight
OpenGL, and a few Ruby wrappers around that library. When you say "do 3D
with Ruby", what kind of project are you looking to build?

Jason

Brian Candler

Marc-antoine Kruzik said:
Hello, I'm french, sorry for my mistakes.

I would like to do 3D with Ruby.

I tried Ogre.rb, but this project requires a lot of other gems to be
installed, and there are still some files missing. Can't I just download
a ready-to-use sample ?
It's a lot of work to install all these files and I'm not even sure it
will be working at last.

So, I'm looking for the easiest way to use a 3D library with Ruby.
Not especially Ogre.rb, because I just want to do 3D with Ruby. Any 3D
library will be ok. :)

The GL gears example exists for ruby (gears.rb). I have a copy lying
around, and it still runs. You should be able to find it through Google.

Comments in source say:

# 2005-05-01 Ruby version by Arto Bendiken based on gears.c rev 1.8.
# 2005-01-09 Original C version (gears.c) by Brian Paul et al.
# http://cvs.freedesktop.org/mesa/Mesa/progs/demos/gears.c?rev=1.8

Marc-antoine Kruzik

Jason said:
Ogre.rb is not at all ready for use right now, but other than my work
there
I don't know of any workable Ruby wrapper to a 3D engine.

Yes, I found so few informations about that... I heard about Scattered
Ruby.
I know someone (Dem0nfire) who succeed to use Irrlicht with Ruby (and
RPG Maker) :

http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=64022&hilit=irrlicht
(click spoilers to see screenshots)

But it's still work in progress.

If you're looking to just work with 3D yourself, there's always straight
OpenGL, and a few Ruby wrappers around that library. When you say "do 3D
with Ruby", what kind of project are you looking to build?

Create cubes with textures, some houses. I am a 2D games programmer, so
I would work a bit in 3D. I created a 3D graphical engine from a 2D
library. But using a real 3D library will be better.

I remember OpenGL is a bit strange to me, because of the vertex system.
But there are many tutorials and informations about OpenGL, so I think
it could be the better choice.

Thank you two for your advices.

Michael Brooks

Hello Marc-antoine and Brian:
Brian Candler wrote:
The GL gears example exists for ruby (gears.rb). I have a copy lying
around, and it still runs. You should be able to find it through Google.

I used the the gears.rb as the basis for a OpenGL programmable shader (i.e.
GLSL) version of the gears program. The intro to it and download can be
found through here:

http://osdir.com/ml/ruby-talk/2009-03/msg00749.html

Michael

Marc-antoine Kruzik

Michael said:
I used the the gears.rb as the basis for a OpenGL programmable shader
(i.e.
GLSL) version of the gears program. The intro to it and download can be
found through here:

http://osdir.com/ml/ruby-talk/2009-03/msg00749.html

The shaders are nice. Is OpenGL able to use shaders ? Or you made it to
use shaders your own way ?

I was just looking at this last week:

http://github.com/remogatto/ffi-opengl

I have a bug. I installed required librairies, but there is still a
problem.
http://gemcutter.org/gems/ffi-opengl

Louis-Philippe said:
ruby-processing, give you the 3D an OpenGL power Processing has:
http://wiki.github.com/jashkenas/ruby-processing

Ruby-processing seems to be very cool !
And powerfull.

I'm looking at the "rp5 app" function to create windows executables (I'm
working on windows).
The web version seems to be a good idea, but the programs weight at less
10 Mo.
And my firefox bugs when I try to load one.

I think I will use ruby-processing if I succeed to release windows
executables with it.

Marc-antoine Kruzik

Andrea said:
What kind of bug? Feel free to open an issue on github about it.

I remember I have had this kind of problems, trying to use OpenGL.
Maybe I don't have the right version of one library, or I don't install
a SDK.

Here's my bug :

require "ffi-opengl"
FFI::NotFoundError: Function 'glClearIndex' not found in [[current
process]]
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ffi-0.5.4-x86-mswin32/lib/ffi/library.rb:77:in
`attach_function'
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ffi-opengl-0.2.1/lib/ffi-opengl/gl.rb:537
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`gem_original_require'
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`require'
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ffi-opengl-0.2.1/lib/ffi-opengl.rb:9

from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in
`gem_original_require'
from
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in
`require'

My gem list :

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

archive-tar-minitar (0.5.2)
ffi (0.5.4)
ffi-opengl (0.2.1)
fxri (0.3.6)
fxruby (1.6.16)
hpricot (0.6.164)
log4r (1.0.5)
mkrf (0.2.3)
ogre.rb (0.3)
ogrerb_cg (1.5)
ogrerb_navi (1.4)
ogrerb_ogre (1.4.5)
ogrerb_ois (1.0)
pmsrb (0.2.0)
ptools (1.1.6)
rake (0.8.7, 0.8.1)
ruby-opengl (0.60.1, 0.60.0)
ruby-processing (1.0.8)
rubyzip (0.9.1)
test-unit (2.0.1)
win32-api (1.2.1, 1.2.0)
win32-clipboard (0.4.4)
win32-dir (0.3.2)
win32-eventlog (0.5.0)
win32-file (0.5.5)
win32-file-stat (1.3.1)
win32-process (0.5.9)
win32-sapi (0.1.4)
win32-sound (0.4.1)
windows-api (0.2.4)
windows-pr (0.9.3)

Andrea Fazzi

Marc-antoine Kruzik said:
I remember I have had this kind of problems, trying to use OpenGL.
Maybe I don't have the right version of one library, or I don't install
a SDK.

Marc-antoine,

if you're interested in using ffi-opengl, please redirect this bug
report in the proper place, the github issue tracker

http://github.com/remogatto/ffi-opengl/issues

In this way things don't get scattered throughout the net and we can
continue our discussion in the proper place :)

Thank you,
Andrea

Michael Brooks

Hello Marc-antoine:
The shaders are nice. Is OpenGL able to use shaders ? Or you made it to
use shaders your own way ?

OpenGL has had shaders for quite a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLSL
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/glsl/

All you need to do is write the shaders and load them into the GPU via
OpenGL's GLSL API.

OpenGL and Microsoft DirectX/3D have been leapfrogging each other for the
past 10 years and the shader capabilities of each are pretty comparable.
Because of OpenGLs extension mechanism OpenGL will sometimes get a feature
before DirectX/3D but unfortunately the acquiring the Pixel Format /
Rendering Context (roughly equivalent to the capability-bits in DirectX/3D)
in OpenGL has gotten really ugly because of that.

Michael

Michal Suchanek

2010/1/12 Michael Brooks said:
Hello Marc-antoine and Brian:

I used the the gears.rb as the basis for a OpenGL programmable shader (i.= e.
GLSL) version of the gears program. =C2=A0The intro to it and download ca= n be
found through here:

http://osdir.com/ml/ruby-talk/2009-03/msg00749.html

FWIW this does nt work for me on Linux.

$ ruby gears_using_shaders.rb
Error - The program has terminated because the environment does not
support OpenGL 2.0 or greater GLSL shaders.
$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixma=
p,
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,
GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_swap_control,
GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,
GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 7153) 20090101 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.6.1
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_fragment_program,
GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,
GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_shadow,
GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map,
GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine,
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
GL_MESAX_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat,
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object,
GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra,
GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate,
GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_EXT_blend_minmax,
GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_convolution=
,
GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord,
GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_histogram, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arra=
ys,
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal,
GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color,
GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D,
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,
GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_object,
GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels,
GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3,
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ATI_separate_stencil,
GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip,
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate,
GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_MESA_window_pos,
GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_OES_read_format,
GL_SGI_color_matrix, GL_SGI_color_table, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap,
GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp,
GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
0x21 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
0x22 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
0x67 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
0x68 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
0x69 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 None
0x6a 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
0x6b 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 Slow
0x5e 32 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 0 24 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 Ncon

brabuhr

I used the the gears.rb as the basis for a OpenGL programmable shader (i=
e.
FWIW this does nt work for me on Linux.

$ ruby gears_using_shaders.rb
Error - The program has terminated because the environment does not
support OpenGL 2.0 or greater GLSL shaders.

"To run GLSL you need the GL_ARB_shading_language_100 extension."[1]

On my system:

$ glxinfo | fgrep shading
GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,

[1] http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=3Dshowflat&N=
umber=3D253236

Michael Brooks

Hello Michal:
FWIW this does nt work for me on Linux.

$ ruby gears_using_shaders.rb
Error - The program has terminated because the environment does not
s>upport OpenGL 2.0 or greater GLSL shaders.
$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV515 7153) 20090101 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.6.1

I implemented the OpenGL 2.0 or greater version of the shader functions so
you'll likely need to install OpenGL 2.0 or greater drivers for your video
card. It looks like you're running the software-only OpenGL drivers that
come with Linux.

In the initialize procedure I do the following check for the required OpenGL
functions:

# Exit if the environment can't handle the OpenGL 2.0 style
# GLSL shader api commands
if not (GL.respond_to?('CreateProgram') and
GL.respond_to?('CreateShader') and
GL.respond_to?('ShaderSource') and
GL.respond_to?('CompileShader') and
GL.respond_to?('AttachShader') and
GL.respond_to?('LinkProgram') and
GL.respond_to?('DeleteShader') and
GL.respond_to?('DeleteProgram'))
puts('Error - The program has terminated because the environment does
' +
'not support OpenGL 2.0 or greater GLSL shaders.')
exit
end

In theory, if your MESA / SGI driver supported shaders through ARB
extensions (like some earlier OpenGL's did) instead of as built in functions
(like OpenGL 2.0+ in the recent ATI, Nvidia and Intel drivers) then you
could modify this section and other sections of code to use the alternate
(i.e. older) function names. However, I don't believe your drivers support
shaders at all.

Michael

Michal Suchanek

2010/1/15 Michael Brooks said:
Hello Michal:

s>upport OpenGL 2.0 or greater GLSL shaders.

I implemented the OpenGL 2.0 or greater version of the shader functions s= o
you'll likely need to install OpenGL 2.0 or greater drivers for your vide= o
card. =C2=A0It looks like you're running the software-only OpenGL drivers= that
come with Linux.

direct rendering: Yes

It isn't software only but they don't seem to support OpenGL 2.
In the initialize procedure I do the following check for the required Ope= nGL
functions:

=C2=A0 # Exit if the environment can't handle the OpenGL 2.0 style
=C2=A0 # GLSL shader api commands
=C2=A0 if not (GL.respond_to?('CreateProgram') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('CreateShader') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('ShaderSource') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('CompileShader') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('AttachShader') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('LinkProgram') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('DeleteShader') and
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 GL.respond_to?('DeleteProgram'))
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 puts('Error - The program has terminated because the enviro= nment does '
+
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0'not support OpenGL 2.0 or greater GLSL= shaders.')
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 exit
=C2=A0 end

In theory, if your MESA / SGI driver supported shaders through ARB
extensions (like some earlier OpenGL's did) instead of as built in functi=
ons

Yes, there are some ARB extensions listed.
(like OpenGL 2.0+ in the recent ATI, Nvidia and Intel drivers) then you

The problem is that Intel does not do special driver for Linux, their
hardware is supposedly supported by X11/Mesa and the proprietary
drivers for ATI/nVidia cards simply don't work (tried with recent
cards about half an year ago).
could modify this section and other sections of code to use the alternate

Running a demo is as far as I got in using OpenGL so I guess I will
pass on this for now.
(i.e. older) function names. =C2=A0However, I don't believe your drivers = support
shaders at all.

It supports fragment and vertex programs. I don't know it that's
sufficient but I think FireGL V3350 should support some shading.

Thanks

Michal

Phillip Gawlowski

The problem is that Intel does not do special driver for Linux, their
hardware is supposedly supported by X11/Mesa and the proprietary
drivers for ATI/nVidia cards simply don't work (tried with recent
cards about half an year ago).

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.htm

They weren't particularly good until recently, but they are there.

The one thing that worked out of the box in my last Linux experiment
with Ubuntu was Compiz Fusion and WiFi. ;)

Michal Suchanek

2010/1/15 Phillip Gawlowski said:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.htm

They weren't particularly good until recently, but they are there.

These *are* the X11/Mesa drivers and they *are* bad as in having few
features, possibly in part because of limitations of the Intel
hardware.

The stability has also worsened recently. Too many chipset revisions
with different hardware issues I guess.

Thanks

Michal

Michael Brooks

Hello Michal:

Michal Suchanek said:
These *are* the X11/Mesa drivers and they *are* bad as in having few
features, possibly in part because of limitations of the Intel
hardware.

The stability has also worsened recently. Too many chipset revisions
with different hardware issues I guess.

Thanks

Michal

Sorry to hear that. I do most of my work in Windows. I just booted my
desktop into Mint Linux 7 which already had the Nvidia 3D drivers installed
then installed ruby 1.8.7, glut, ruby-opengl and ran the
gears_with_shaders.rb file just fine. I've had the best success with Nvidia
under Linux. Even the Geforce Go 6150 in my old HP tx1000 laptop supports
OpenGL 2.1 in Mint Linux 8. I've had some success with ATI in Linux but it
varies greatly for different models and from distro-to-distro. I'd heard
that the Intel x3100 IGP and later chipsets were supposed to support OpenGL
2.0+ but haven't had direct experience with them.

Michael