  1. Guest

    are there any 3d libraries like opengl for java?

    , Jun 4, 2004

  2. Liz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > are there any 3d libraries like opengl for java?

    Yes I got one from the Sun web site. All the demos work really well.

    Liz, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Chris Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > are there any 3d libraries like opengl for java?

    Yes. The standard Java answer is Java3D. There are also more basic
    OpenGL bindings for Java. The difference is that Java3D is
    fundamentally based around a scene graph, so that you provide a higher-
    level overview of a whole scene and then just tell the Java3D surface to
    draw there. A basic OpenGL binding, on the contrary, will not provide
    scene graph capabilities (though such a scene graph technology can be
    built on top of OpenGL), but will instead expose only the task-oriented
    APIs that are part of the OpenGL spec.

    The reason Java3D takes the higher-level approach is to avoid frequent
    crosses of the JNI boundary, which is known to be fairly expensive.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Liz Guest

    "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > are there any 3d libraries like opengl for java?
    > >

    > Yes. The standard Java answer is Java3D. There are also more basic
    > OpenGL bindings for Java. The difference is that Java3D is
    > fundamentally based around a scene graph, so that you provide a higher-
    > level overview of a whole scene and then just tell the Java3D surface to
    > draw there. A basic OpenGL binding, on the contrary, will not provide
    > scene graph capabilities (though such a scene graph technology can be
    > built on top of OpenGL), but will instead expose only the task-oriented
    > APIs that are part of the OpenGL spec.
    >
    > The reason Java3D takes the higher-level approach is to avoid frequent
    > crosses of the JNI boundary, which is known to be fairly expensive.
    >
    > --
    > www.designacourse.com
    > The Easiest Way to Train Anyone... Anywhere.

    > MindIQ Corporation

    I remember now that when I was downloading Java3D that there were
    two choices for the PC, namely based on Directx or based on OpenGL.
    Since my new laptop has "integrated intel graphics" that supposedly
    supports OpenGL in the hardware to some extent I was looking for
    something to take full advantage of it. I'm not so sure that Java3D
    does. Would the "basic OpenGL binding" do this?

    Liz, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Chris Smith Guest

    Liz wrote:
    > I remember now that when I was downloading Java3D that there were
    > two choices for the PC, namely based on Directx or based on OpenGL.
    > Since my new laptop has "integrated intel graphics" that supposedly
    > supports OpenGL in the hardware to some extent I was looking for
    > something to take full advantage of it. I'm not so sure that Java3D
    > does. Would the "basic OpenGL binding" do this?

    That's a different matter. Java3D's scene graph API is a higher level
    of abstraction, and has to implemented somehow at a lower level. That
    implementation (which is hopefully not at all visible to the end-user or
    Java3D client programmer) can be either via OpenGL or Direct3D in a
    Windows environment, since both APIs are available, and Sun has provided
    both implementations.

    If your card advertises hardware acceleration of OpenGL, then *either*
    Java3D's OpenGL implementation *or* a lower-level OpenGL binding will
    probably equally take advantage of that hardware acceleration. However,
    a lower-level binding may allow you to take better advantage of the card
    if only some OpenGL operations are accelerated with fallback to software
    rendering for others, which is often the case. If your card also
    accelerates Direct3D operations, then it's also likely to be accelerated
    with the Direct3D implementation of Java3D.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jun 5, 2004