    barcaroller Guest

    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition and the
    Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"?

    barcaroller, Sep 7, 2005

  2. barcaroller wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition and
    > the Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"?

    From the [..ahem..] horse's mouth:

    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 7, 2005

  3. barcaroller

    Ron House Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > barcaroller wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition and
    >>the Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language"?

    > From the [..ahem..] horse's mouth:
    >
    > http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

    This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
    different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
    "3rd edition").

    --
    Ron House
    http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/house

    Ron House, Sep 7, 2005
  4. barcaroller

    John Carson Guest

    "Ron House" <> wrote in message
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> barcaroller wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 3rd Edition
    >>> and the Special Edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming
    >>> Language"?

    >> From the [..ahem..] horse's mouth:
    >>
    >> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

    > This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
    > different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
    > "3rd edition").

    It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the third
    edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition which has a
    predominantly white background. They look very different.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Sep 7, 2005
  5. barcaroller

    red floyd Guest

    John Carson wrote:
    > "Ron House" <> wrote in message

    >> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
    >> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
    >> "3rd edition").

    > It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the
    > third edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition
    > which has a predominantly white background. They look very different.

    I think Ron's referring to the "corrected" Third Edition (softcover).

    red floyd, Sep 7, 2005
  6. barcaroller

    Ron House Guest

    John Carson wrote:
    > "Ron House" <> wrote in message

    >> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
    >> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and newer
    >> "3rd edition").

    > It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the
    > third edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition
    > which has a predominantly white background. They look very different.

    I didn't mention the special edition, I mentioned the "3rd edition",
    which, in different printings, has different contents and identical
    covers, including the words "3rd edition".

    This is a seriously silly (and incomprehensible) thing for a publisher
    to do, because we can't write the edition description on a book list and
    be sure students will get the right version; we have to add a big verbal
    description on how to tell the two apart, which can be trying when you
    have computerised book forms and so on that were designed on the
    assumption that some short phrase would be sufficient to identify a
    specific version of a book.

    Ron House, Sep 8, 2005
  7. barcaroller

    John Carson Guest

    "Ron House" <> wrote in message
    > John Carson wrote:
    >> "Ron House" <> wrote in message

    >>> This is a big foulup by the publisher. There are two books with
    >>> different content and the exact same cover out there (early and
    >>> newer "3rd edition").

    >> It is not the same cover. The picture takes up the whole cover on the
    >> third edition, but less than half of the cover on the special edition
    >> which has a predominantly white background. They look very different.

    > I didn't mention the special edition, I mentioned the "3rd edition",
    > which, in different printings, has different contents and identical
    > covers, including the words "3rd edition".
    >
    > This is a seriously silly (and incomprehensible) thing for a publisher
    > to do, because we can't write the edition description on a book list
    > and be sure students will get the right version; we have to add a big
    > verbal description on how to tell the two apart, which can be trying
    > when you have computerised book forms and so on that were designed on
    > the assumption that some short phrase would be sufficient to identify
    > a specific version of a book.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are now 20
    printings of the 3rd edition, with changes each time. To fully identify the
    book, you just need to specify both the edition and the printing. The
    changes are basically errata, but these errata go beyond typos (there are
    some re-wordings for clarity, changed examples etc.).

    Assuming I am correct, I don't think you can blame the publisher. Most
    publishers would draw the line at an average of 2-3 new editions each year.
    Basically Stroustrup didn't get it exactly right the first time and kept on
    tinkering.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Sep 9, 2005
  8. "John Carson" <> wrote in message
    > Basically Stroustrup didn't get it exactly right the first time and kept
    > on
    > tinkering.

    Nobody ever gets it exactly right the first time. Most stop there however.

    Christopher Dearlove, Sep 9, 2005
  9. barcaroller

    John Carson Guest

    "Christopher Dearlove" <> wrote in message
    > "John Carson" <> wrote in message
    >> Basically Stroustrup didn't get it exactly right the first time and
    >> kept on tinkering.

    > Nobody ever gets it exactly right the first time. Most stop there
    > however.

    I agree.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Sep 9, 2005
  10. barcaroller

    Ron House Guest

    John Carson wrote:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are now 20
    > printings of the 3rd edition, with changes each time. To fully identify the
    > book, you just need to specify both the edition and the printing. The
    > changes are basically errata, but these errata go beyond typos (there are
    > some re-wordings for clarity, changed examples etc.).

    Okay, you're wrong. :)

    The later printings are identical inside to the "Special edition", but
    have a soft cover. That is, they include new (long) appendices.

    As teachers are quite likely to require that students have those
    appendices, it goes way beyond fixing typos and rewording some examples.
    And if teachers are supposed to specify edition _and_ printing, it is
    quite a job to find out, short of seeing every printing, which ones
    contain what.

    Ron House, Sep 14, 2005
  11. barcaroller

    John Carson Guest

    "Ron House" <> wrote in message
    > John Carson wrote:
    >
    >> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there are now
    >> 20 printings of the 3rd edition, with changes each time. To fully
    >> identify the book, you just need to specify both the edition and the
    >> printing. The changes are basically errata, but these errata go
    >> beyond typos (there are some re-wordings for clarity, changed
    >> examples etc.).

    > Okay, you're wrong. :)
    >
    > The later printings are identical inside to the "Special edition", but
    > have a soft cover. That is, they include new (long) appendices.

    I see now. I didn't realise that the appendices from the Special edition
    were retrofitted to the 3rd edition in later printings. I agree that such a
    major change should have been more clearly signalled.

    The appendices are downloadable from Stroustrup's site, which should be some
    comfort for those with an earlier version.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Sep 14, 2005