3rd RFD: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

Discussion in 'C++' started by Christian McArdle, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
    unmoderated group comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) to create
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit as an unmoderated world-wide Usenet
    newsgroup dedicated to the discussion of Microsoft Windows 64-bit
    programming. This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at
    this time. Procedural details appear below. All followup discussion
    should be crossposted to news.groups.

    Newsgroup line:
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit Programming for 64-bit Microsoft Windows.

    CHANGES from previous RFDs:
    1. Typographical errors.
    2. Addition of Intel Xeon (Nacona) processor.
    3. Addition of on topic "any other discussions related to 64-bit windows
    programming"
    4. Change of name from comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win64
    5. Limitations on crossposting.

    RATIONALE: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    Microsoft Windows is the most common operating system in use on
    computer desktops. For many years it has had a 32 bit API called
    Win32. However, advances in processor technology mean that a new
    64-bit version will soon be released. 64-bit Windows programming
    is already taking place with pre-release Beta versions of the
    operating system and compilers. There is a need for a Usenet group
    that enables 64-bit specific programming issues to be discussed

    Currently discussion happens on a variety of inappropriate groups,
    such as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32. There is also a private
    (non-Usenet) Microsoft based news server which contains a group,
    but which is not programming specific.

    It should be noted that traffic would be expected to be fairly
    slight at first, as 64bit windows programming is in its infancy.
    However, it is very likely that considerable porting and new
    programming effort will ramp up as 64-bit Windows is released,
    requiring a newsgroup quickly. There can be no doubt that 64 bit
    programming will be of great commercial importance very quickly.

    CHARTER: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    The comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit newsgroup is for the
    discussion of the following topic areas:
    - The 64 bit Application Programming Interface
    - Use of 64 bit Windows compatible compilers, assemblers and
    programming tools
    - Issues relating to programming of any 64-bit microprocessor
    expected to work with 64-bit Windows, including AMD64/Opteron
    and Intel Itanium/Xeon (Nacona and derivatives)
    - Issues relating to 64-bit versions of any programming language
    designed to work with 64-bit Windows
    - Issues related to the porting of 32 bit software to the 64 bit
    platform
    - Any other discussions related to 64-bit Windows programming.

    Posting of binary files is prohibited, with the exception of PGP
    signatures and similar small binaries.

    Infrequent posting of commercial information relating to 64 bit
    programming tools and services is allowed. The same posting may
    not be posted more often than monthly. Posting of commercial
    information that is not strongly related to 64 bit Windows
    programming tools or services is prohibited. In particular,
    advertisments for computer hardware are not permitted.

    When crossposting is used, it should be to no more than 3 additional
    groups relevent to the discussion at hand.

    END CHARTER.

    PROCEDURE:

    This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes. In this phase
    of the process, any potential problems with the proposed newsgroups
    should be raised and resolved. The discussion period will continue for
    a minimum of 21 days (starting from when the first RFD for this
    proposal is posted to news.announce.newgroups), after which a Call For
    Votes (CFV) may be posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion
    warrants it. Please do not attempt to vote until this happens.

    All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

    This RFD attempts to comply fully with the Usenet newsgroup creation
    guidelines outlined in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and "How
    to Format and Submit a New Group Proposal". Please refer to these
    documents (available in news.announce.newgroups) if you have any
    questions about the process.

    This RFD may be distributed freely to other relevant newsgroups or
    maillists, provided the followup line (to news.groups) is unaltered.
    Note that discussion regarding this RFD should be conducted only in
    news.groups.

    DISTRIBUTION:

    This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:

    news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups
    comp.lang.c++
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    Proponent: Christian McArdle <>

    Christian McArdle, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Christian McArdle

    Bill Aten Guest

    CFV: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    FIRST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
    unmoderated group comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    Newsgroups line:
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit Programming for 64bit Microsoft Windows.

    Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 16 Aug 2004.

    This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party. Questions about
    the proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

    Proponent: Christian McArdle <>
    Votetaker: Bill Aten <>

[...]

    advertisements for computer hardware are not permitted.

    When crossposting is used, it should be to no more than 3 additional
    groups relevant to the discussion at hand.

    END CHARTER.

    HOW TO VOTE:

    Extract the ballot from the CFV by deleting everything before and after
    the "BEGINNING OF BALLOT" and "END OF BALLOT" lines. Don't worry about
    the spacing of the columns or any quote characters (">") that your
    reply inserts.

    PLEASE, do not send the entire CFV back to me as this mail is archived.

    Mark the ballot and then MAIL it to: <>
    Just "replying" to this message should work, but check the "To:" line.

    In order to properly record your vote, please provide your REAL NAME
    (or established Usenet handle) and indicate your desired vote in the
    appropriate locations inside the ballot.

    Examples of how to properly indicate your vote:

    [ YES ] example.yes.vote
    [ NO ] example.no.vote
    [ ABSTAIN ] example.abstention
    [ CANCEL ] example.cancellation

    DO NOT modify, alter or delete any information in this ballot!
    If you do, the voting software will probably reject your ballot.

    If you do not receive an acknowledgment of your vote within three
    days, contact the votetaker about the problem. You are responsible
    for reading your ack and making sure your vote is registered correctly.

    ======= BEGINNING OF BALLOT: Delete everything BEFORE this line =======
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
    | newsgroup listed below (do not delete the newsgroup name):
    |
    | Your Vote Newsgroup
    | --------- ---------
    | [ ] comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ======= END OF BALLOT: Delete everything AFTER this line ==============

    IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES:

    Standard Guidelines for voting apply. Only one vote per person, no
    more than one vote per account. Votes must be mailed directly from
    the voter to the votetaker. Anonymous, forwarded, or proxy votes
    are not valid. Votes mailed by WWW/HTML/CGI forms are considered
    to be anonymous votes.

    Vote counting is automated. Failure to follow these directions may
    mean that your vote does not get counted. If you do not receive an
    acknowledgment of your vote within three days, contact the votetaker
    about the problem. It's your responsibility to make sure your vote
    is registered correctly. Duplicate votes are resolved in favor of
    the most recent valid vote. Names, addresses, and votes of all voters
    will be published in the final voting results post.

    DO NOT redistribute this CFV in any manner whatsoever. The purpose of
    a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest of persons who would
    read a proposed newsgroup. Soliciting votes from disinterested parties
    defeats this purpose. Only the votetaker, the news.announce.newgroups
    moderator, and the proponent (if specifically authorized by the votetaker)
    are permitted to distribute copies of this CFV.

    Distribution of pre-marked or otherwise modified copies of this CFV is
    generally considered voting fraud and should be reported immediately to
    the votetaker or the UVV <>. In cases where voting fraud
    is determined to have occurred, it is standard operating procedure to
    delete ALL votes submitted by the violator. When in doubt, ask the
    votetaker.

    DISTRIBUTION:

    The only official sources for copies of this CFV are the locations listed
    below, the UVV web site at http://www.uvv.org/, and the votetaker's e-mail
    CFV server which can be reached at <>.

    This CFV has been posted to the following newsgroups:

    news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups
    comp.lang.c++
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    A pointer directing readers to this CFV will be posted in the following
    newsgroup:

    microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit (non Usenet)

    Bill Aten, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Christian McArdle

    Bill Aten Guest

    2nd CFV: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    LAST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)

    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Insert YES, NO, ABSTAIN, or CANCEL inside the brackets for each
    | newsgroup listed below (do not delete the newsgroup name):
    |
    | Your Vote Newsgroup
    | --------- ---------
    | [ ] comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit

    |----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ======= END OF BALLOT: Delete everything AFTER this line ==============

    IMPORTANT VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES:

    Standard Guidelines for voting apply. Only one vote per person, no
    more than one vote per account. Votes must be mailed directly from
    the voter to the votetaker. Anonymous, forwarded, or proxy votes
    are not valid. Votes mailed by WWW/HTML/CGI forms are considered
    to be anonymous votes.

    Vote counting is automated. Failure to follow these directions may
    mean that your vote does not get counted. If you do not receive an
    acknowledgment of your vote within three days, contact the votetaker
    about the problem. It's your responsibility to make sure your vote
    is registered correctly. Duplicate votes are resolved in favor of
    the most recent valid vote. Names, addresses, and votes of all voters
    will be published in the final voting results post.

    DO NOT redistribute this CFV in any manner whatsoever. The purpose of
    a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest of persons who would
    read a proposed newsgroup. Soliciting votes from disinterested parties
    defeats this purpose. Only the votetaker, the news.announce.newgroups
    moderator, and the proponent (if specifically authorized by the votetaker)
    are permitted to distribute copies of this CFV.

    Distribution of pre-marked or otherwise modified copies of this CFV is
    generally considered voting fraud and should be reported immediately to
    the votetaker or the UVV <>. In cases where voting fraud
    is determined to have occurred, it is standard operating procedure to
    delete ALL votes submitted by the violator. When in doubt, ask the
    votetaker.

    DISTRIBUTION:

    The only official sources for copies of this CFV are the locations listed
    below, the UVV web site at http://www.uvv.org/, and the votetaker's e-mail
    CFV server which can be reached at <>.

    This CFV has been posted to the following newsgroups:

    news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups
    comp.lang.c++
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    A pointer directing readers to this CFV will be posted in the following
    newsgroup:

    microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit (non Usenet)

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit - Ack Bounce List
    No bounced acknowledgments at this time

    Bill Aten, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Christian McArdle

    Bill Aten Guest

    RESULT: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit fails 37:57

    RESULT
    unmoderated group comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit fails 37:57

    Voting closed at 23:59:59 UTC, 16 Aug 2004.

    This vote was conducted by a neutral third party. Questions about the
    proposed group should be directed to the proponent.

    Proponent: Christian McArdle <>
    Votetaker: Bill Aten <>

    There were 94 valid YES/NO votes submitted during the voting period. Each
    proposed newsgroup, in order to pass, must have at least 2/3 YES votes and at
    least 100 more YES than NO votes. The results are as follows:

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit results - 94 valid (YES & NO) votes

    Yes No : 2/3? >100? : Pass? : Group
    ---- ---- : ---- ----- : ----- : -------------------------------------------
    37 57 : No No : No : comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit
    1 abstaining vote

    The proposal failed.

    There is a five day discussion period after these results are posted.
    Unless serious and significant allegations of voting irregularities are
    raised, the proposal may not be voted on again for six months.

    The remainder of the RESULT contains:
    Newsgroups Line
    Rationale
    Charter
    Final Voting Acknowledgements

    NEWSGROUPS LINE:
[...]

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.64bit - Final Voter List

    NOTE: This is not [to be used as] a mailing list. The email addresses
    are provided only to help verify the validity of the interest poll.

    Voted YES
    andrew.carson [at] brooks.com Andrew Carson
    BazarewskyM [at] Software-Answers.com Michael C. Bazarewsky
    blueoceanz1 [at] hotmail.com James Aguilar
    bob [at] cave.org Robert Wilkins
    bouvin [at] daimi.au.dk Niels Olof Bouvin
    ceri [at] submonkey.net Ceri Davies
    christian.mcardle [at] brooks.com Christian McArdle
    clauer [at] free.fr Christophe Lauer
    cmeerw-vote+comwp6+ [at] usenet.cmeerw.org Christof Meerwald
    dance-anthems [at] o2.co.uk Paul Morris
    david.dawkins [at] brooks.com David Dawkins
    devnull [at] vianet.ca Trevor Tymchuk
    Ekkehard [at] Uthke.de Ekkehard Uthke
    ggw [at] wolves.durham.nc.us Gregory G Woodbury
    gvollant [at] wanadoo.fr Gilles Vollant
    haglundc [at] fuse.net Cathy Haglund
    j.brown [at] dsl.pipex.com James Brown
    jean.delori [at] free.fr Jean Delori
    JKop [at] eircom.net JKop
    julien.yakouz [at] wanadoo.fr Julien Yakouz
    mbecker [at] winmike.de Mike Becker
    meldalpra [at] yahoo.co.uk Melanie Dalpra
    michal [at] rosa.id.au Michal Rosa
    michel.renan [at] wanadoo.fr Michel Renan
    pan [at] syix.com Pan
    paul.hoad [at] brooks.com Paul Hoad
    Peter-Lawrence.Montgomery [at] cwi.nl Peter L. Montgomery
    psmyth [at] gmx.net Peter Smyth
    rbegley [at] rogers.com W. Richard Begley
    rclobus [at] home.nl R Clobus
    rge [at] knology.net Ray Edwards
    Robert.Bachmann [at] rbdev.net Robert Bachmann
    robert.mcclenon [at] verizon.net Bob McClenon
    sandmann [at] clio.rice.edu Charles Sandmann
    ScottMcP [at] mvps.org Scott McPhillips
    smcardle [at] ntlworld.com Susan McArdle
    tomp [at] st.net.au Tom Perrett

    Voted NO
    art [at] stromboli.uni.cc Arturo Stromboli
    bastone [at] netzoola.com John Bastone
    betty8743 [at] zahadum.com Betty Kewfi
    blobster [at] fastmail.com.au Andrew Colquhoun
    bloodyscott [at] uku.co.uk Scott Keller
    bvd [at] ezc.info Bo Vito Dunn
    chin [at] grungecafe.com Lee Chin
    cordoza [at] ftml.net Mona Cordoza
    deanhumphries [at] softhome.net Dean Humphries
    dimitri.t [at] atlas.cz Dimitri Cestovani
    dodcopman [at] myway.com Bob Douglas
    dougob [at] charter.net D. OBrian
    e [at] stromboli.uni.cc Elisabetta Stromboli
    enrico [at] stromboli.uni.cc Enrico Stromboli
    enzo [at] stromboli.uni.cc Enzo Stromboli Sr.
    fila_brasileiros [at] hotmail.com Luiz Vercosa
    g [at] stromboli.uni.cc Giorgio Stromboli
    George_Preddy [at] yahoo.com George Preddy
    gina [at] stromboli.uni.cc Gina Stromboli
    goodiva [at] hismail.org Mortimer Goodiva
    goodiva [at] msbx.net Amanda Goodiva
    gprrspw [at] mindspring.com G.P. Ryan
    hankzanzibar [at] lycos.com Hank Zanzibar
    hugo [at] stromboli.uni.cc Hugo Stromboli
    jacintavercosa [at] hotmail.com Jacinta Vercosa
    jada [at] stromboli.uni.cc Jada Stromboli
    joey [at] stromboli.uni.cc Joey Stromboli
    jonovanpowell [at] hotmail.com Jonovan Powell
    junior [at] stromboli.uni.cc Enzo Stromboli Jr.
    kewfi [at] zahadum.com Joseph Kewfi
    LopJuanita [at] netscape.net Juanita Lopez
    mario [at] stromboli.uni.cc Mario Stromboli
    mauicop [at] hawaii-politics.com mauicop
    mohammed-nizam [at] maktoob.com Mohammed Nizam
    montch [at] aracnet.com Matthew Montchalin
    olivia [at] stromboli.uni.cc Olivia Stromboli
    pablo [at] Cocaine.zzn.com Pablo Escobar
    paolopizzi [at] email.it Paolo Pizzi
    peabody [at] lottos.com.au Sandra Peabody
    pissmeister [at] ml1.net Sal Gallo
    quoowtupuq [at] swumsiowpi.mailexpire.com Ben Reese
    rick [at] bcm.tmc.edu Richard H Miller
    rosa [at] stromboli.uni.cc Rosa Stromboli
    rosario [at] taken.to Ricky Rosario
    roscoe [at] rednecks.com Bubba Roscoe
    ruiz [at] universist.com Juanita Ruiz
    scat [at] crap.as Raymondo Vassiola
    Shoe412 [at] netscape.net Dolores Fontaine
    slutbastard [at] hotmail.com Arturo Garcia
    spadaro [at] kiaro.net Tony Spadaro
    stainles [at] realtime.net Dwight Brown
    superphreaka [at] phreaker.net Pierre Roche
    takasaki [at] meishi.co.jp Akira Takasaki
    tarageller [at] lycos.com Tara Geller
    tony [at] stromboli.uni.cc Tony Stromboli
    w8j4c8f7u2h4g9s8m4h4s8p2x8j3c8m4 [at] yahoo.com Jorge Cruz
    wetback [at] runbox.com Rudy Garcia

    Voted ABSTAIN
    van.ette [at] inter.nl.net Robert-Jan van Ette

    --
    Bill Aten, UVV <>

    Bill Aten, Aug 17, 2004