4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Markus Wiedemeier, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. Markus Wiedemeier, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Markus Wiedemeier <pingu_NO@SPAM_pitcasa.com> wrote:
    > I'm pretty much undecided of whether or not I should implement HTML
    > 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 for my pages.

    If you write your pages in XHTML you must send them as application/xhtml+xml
    .. If you cannot change how they are sent, it's best to write them in HTML
    4.01 strict with a proper doctype.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com
    Michael Wilcox, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Markus Wiedemeier

    Eric Gutz Guest

    > Any advice and can you point me to some good source of where to find
    > on-line manuals and easy explanations?

    Since the information on your homepage gives rise to the suspicion, you
    might speak german, here's my favourite site for HTML/XHTML resources

    http://selfhtml.teamone.de/

    It's german only, but it's really plenty and good information.

    Regards

    Eric

    --

    "Wann beginnt dieses automatische Zeitalter?"
    - "Mittwoch!"
    Eric Gutz, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Markus Wiedemeier

    John McGaw Guest

    "Markus Wiedemeier" <pingu_NO@SPAM_pitcasa.com> wrote in message
    > I'm pretty much undecided of whether or not I should implement HTML
    > 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 for my pages.
    >
    > Any advice and can you point me to some good source of where to find
    > on-line manuals and easy explanations?
    >

    > --
    > Markus Wiedemeier
    > pingu_no@spam_pitcasa.com
    > http://www.pitcasa.com/casa
    > http://www.pitcasa.com/mw

    I recently decided to upgrade my site from 4.01 Transitional to 4.01 Strict.
    It was already fully CSS. This proved to be a little difficult but not
    horribly so. The benefit was that changing the whole 110+ files to XHTML 1.0
    Strict was dead simple -- HTML Tidy was able to do almost all of the dirty
    work and it took only hours. Then I discovered that moving from XTHML 1.0 to
    1.1 was even easier. I simply changed the DTDs globally and re-verified --
    not one more change was needed. I'm not claiming that every site will be so
    easy to convert but once you make the difficult move to 4.01 Strict the next
    step(s) should be relatively easier.

    Now if I only had some clue about making the site pretty too. Guess I should
    have paid attention in those art classes in school instead of sleeping in
    the back row...
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Return address will not work. Please
    reply in group or through my website:
    http://johnmcgaw.com
    John McGaw, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Markus Wiedemeier

    Sam Hughes Guest

    > I'm pretty much undecided of whether or not I should implement HTML
    > 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 for my pages.
    >
    > Any advice and can you point me to some good source of where to find
    > on-line manuals and easy explanations?

    I see no reason to use XHTML 1.0 as opposed to HTML 4.01. What are your
    reasons for considering both?

    If you implement HTML 4.01 Strict, you generally will not need to worry
    about browsers having trouble rendering your documents, unless you go crazy
    with CSS.
    Sam Hughes, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Markus Wiedemeier wrote:
    > I'm pretty much undecided of whether or not I should implement HTML
    > 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 for my pages.
    >
    > Any advice and can you point me to some good source of where to find
    > on-line manuals and easy explanations?

    4.01 Strict is good. If you achieve that your pages will probably be OK for
    many years/decades. You will be able to obtain free user-friendly (!) tools to
    help you move forward if you ever need to. You will presumably have reasonably
    clean mark-up and CSS (although that is not guaranteed!) People will respect
    your pages enough to offer help instead of telling you to sort out your grot.
    You will be able to sleep easy.

    No one has been able to tell me what extra advantage I could get from moving
    from there to 1.0. There appears to be not one extra user that I would get. It
    would not extend the life of any page by 1 week, or even 1 day. It would not
    save me a minute per week in development time. It would apparently not benefit
    a single person by as much as a penny/cent.

    I suspect that, unless you have specific needs to incorporate extra XML
    namespaces into your documents, HTML 4.01 is the pinnacle for the next decade.
    (Depressing, isn't it?)

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
    Barry Pearson, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Markus Wiedemeier wrote:

    > I'm pretty much undecided of whether or not I should implement HTML
    > 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 for my pages.

    The use HTML 4.01. XHTML comes with a lot of baggage, so it worth avoiding
    unless you know you need it.

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Markus Wiedemeier

    DU Guest

    Markus Wiedemeier wrote:

    > I'm pretty much undecided of whether or not I should implement HTML
    > 4.01 strict or XHTML 1.0 for my pages.
    >
    > Any advice and can you point me to some good source of where to find
    > on-line manuals and easy explanations?
    >

    > --
    > Markus Wiedemeier
    > pingu_no@spam_pitcasa.com
    > http://www.pitcasa.com/casa
    > http://www.pitcasa.com/mw

    WaSP Asks the W3C
    Which should we use, HTML or XHTML, and why?
    http://www.webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/oct2003.html

    Apparently, some applications do not support XHTML.

    Whatever you choose, I think you should opt for a strict definition for
    many reasons, 2 of them being
    - increased parsing speed due to triggering standards compliant
    rendering mode in recent browser versions like MSIE 6, Mozilla/NS 7.x
    and Opera 7
    - MSIE 6 for windows will implement the CSS1 box model correctly

    DU
    DU, Jan 3, 2004
  9. DU wrote:
    [snip]
    > WaSP Asks the W3C
    > Which should we use, HTML or XHTML, and why?
    > http://www.webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/oct2003.html

    [snip]

    The problem with their list of reasons for using XHTML instead of HTML is that
    you can get most of the advantages just by writing HTML in the the XHTML way,
    such as lower-case tags, quoted attribute values, etc. And when it becomes
    necessary to move your documents forward, it will probably be just as easy to
    do so from 4.01 Strict.

    Frankly, their reasons look like "marketing desperation" rather than
    engineering reasons!

    Barry Pearson, Jan 4, 2004
  10. Markus Wiedemeier, Jan 4, 2004