401 Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by solex, Apr 6, 2005.

  1. solex

    solex Guest

    I am having some security issues with my web service

    The service uses the default credential cache to make a webDAV request to
    exchange to create an appointment. Using the browser the web services
    appears to work perfectly. Directly referencing the web service (as a DLL)
    from a test project also works perfectly. When I try to reference the
    service (as a web service) from .NET or Access 2003 I get the follwing
    error:

    "System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401)
    Unauthorized.
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    at ExchangeTools.WebDav.ProcessRequest(String URI, String RequestType,
    String data, EncodingType et) in
    \\vm-inetdev1\wwwroot$\ExchangeTools\WebDav.vb:line 70
    at ExchangeTools.CalendarEvent.CreateNew(String FolderURI, String Subject,
    String Description, String Location, DateTime StartDate, DateTime EndDate,
    String EventAttendees, Boolean AllDayEvent, Boolean Confirmed, String
    FreeBusy) in \\vm-inetdev1\wwwroot$\ExchangeTools\CalendarEvent.asmx.vb:line
    95"

    I have made the following changes in the web config:
    <authentication mode="Windows" /> <identity impersonate="true" />

    The web server service is running under a local administrator account.

    Not sure where the problem lies but would appreciate some insight.

    Also am I correct in assuming that if the server/web service is setup to use
    integrated windows authentication only coupled with the use of the default
    credential cache in the web service that the WEBDAV request is being
    submitted under the user making the request?

    Thanks,
    Dan
    solex, Apr 6, 2005