403 Access Forbidden, ASP IIS

Jerry

This seems to be a recurring problem and I don't know what I would do
if I could not find the answere searching Google/Groups/Comp.

Several times I have had this problem were I cannot create a new ASP
Web project. The first time it occured I did as instructed uninstalled
IIS and then reinstalled. I then executed aspnet_regiis /i and I was
able to work.

Sometime later after the installation I received several intrusions
from nasty people trying to enter my system. I have Nortons Internet
Security installed which stops this now.

I shut down my system and took it off the net. The next day I started
my system and tried to create a new ASP.NET project and I received the
403 Access Forbidden message. I checked everything in IIS and low and
behold Execute Permission was set to none and all of the permissions
were unchecked. I set the execute permission to Script only and tried
to create a project and again failed. I then set the read permission
and I was then able to create a project.

During all this I also attempted to re-register ASP.NET and I got the
error that there may be something wrong with my directory or file. I
ran Disk Doctor and it said there was no problem. Why is it that I got
this error?

My next question is who or how did IIS loose those priv's?

Anyways I hope that my adventure helps others cause this is very
problematic.

Jerry

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting in the community!
From your description, you found your VS.NET unable to create ASP.NET web
app on IIS server first and then encountered disk wrong error when
attempting to re-register ASP.NET, yes?

As you mentioned that you've resolved the first problem by turning on the
"read" access permittion in the web server,yes? Generally the "read" access
permission is turned on by default, so have you done any modification on
the IIS server before the problem occurs or have you installed any new
things on the machine? I'm not sure whether the Norton has done any thing
on it.

As for the re-register ASP.NET, do you mean use the aspnet_regiis -r to
register file mapping for ASP.NET?

Please have a check on the above things, also if you have any new findings,
please also let me know. And thanks again for sharing your experience with
us.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support