403 error for perl script on Win 2003 server

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ecurts@neo.rr.com, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am helping a school set up some perl scripts on their Windows 2003
    server and keep getting a 403 error. Here's the info:

    - The problem is not the perl scripts, since they are the same scripts
    I have given to other schools with Windows 2003 and they worked fine
    before.
    - Active Perl is install on their server and working from the command
    line.
    - The "Perl CGI Extension" option is enable in "Web Server Extensions"
    in IIS.
    - .pl extensions are associated with perl.exe.
    - The web folder (with the perl scripts) has anonymous access granted
    to the Intenet Guest Account in IIS.
    - The NTFS permissions on the web folder give the Internet Guest
    Account read and execute privileges.
    - From a browser I can open html and gif files in the web folder in
    question.
    - However anytime I try to open a perl script in the browser, I get:

    You are not authorized to view this page
    credentials that you supplied.
    Please try the following:
    Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to
    view this directory or page.
    Click the Refresh button to try again with different credentials.
    HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

    Any ideas what may be wrong or suggestions for where I should start
    looking? All the settings look correct and identical to other servers
    that have successfully used these perl scripts.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Eric

    , Nov 15, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I am helping a school set up some perl scripts on their Windows 2003
    > server and keep getting a 403 error. Here's the info:
    >
    > - The problem is not the perl scripts, since they are the same scripts
    > I have given to other schools with Windows 2003 and they worked fine
    > before.

    Then why are you seeking help in a Perl group?

    > Any ideas what may be wrong or suggestions for where I should start
    > looking?

    In the docs for the server? In a group dealing with server
    configuration, such as comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows ?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Nov 15, 2005

  3. <> wrote:
    > I am helping a school set up some perl scripts on their Windows 2003
    > server and keep getting a 403 error. Here's the info:
    >
    > - The problem is not the perl scripts,

    Then you are in the wrong newsgroup. This is the Perl newsgroup.

    > Any ideas what may be wrong or suggestions for where I should start
    > looking?

    Look for help with configuring a web server in a newsgroup
    about web servers, such as:

    comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting